My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone with a R322T ever found a way to increase the top speed?

Because of the 4wd and dual gearboxes, I would assume there is no easy way to do this?

I would love an extra 25% speed out of this when roading it.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Check the linkage on the cable from the pedals to the hydro to see if when the pedal is floored, that there is no movement left on the hydro lever. I had to adjust mine. I think I posted about it in the monster thread.

·
21,369 Posts
You won't gain 25% in top speed with those transmissions by adjusting the linkages.

What you might gain in speed with a gear change, will be lost in hill climbing ability.

Most GTs can supply the extra speed that you desire in stock form, without the penalty on the slopes.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
You won't gain 25% in top speed with those transmissions by adjusting the linkages...
Not unless it is badly out of adjustment. Mine was not badly out of adjustment so I did not gain 25% but did gain a little at a sacrifice of reverse speed. Before the adjustment the lever on the hydro pegged on reverse but not on forward. After the adjustment the lever on the hydro pegged on forward but not on reverse. Seems like Husqvarna engineers did not compensate for a loss of lever travel range due to cable stretch as I could not get it to peg in both directions. I would need to modify the linkage to get it to do so but that would void the warranty.

On my Craftsman, the factory design of the linkage did not allow the lever on the hydro to move as far as it could so a modification made it go considerably faster without any change in ability to climb a slope.

Does your tach peg on WOT? My throttle cable also needed adjusting as it was not pegging the governor linkage. I don't trust the built-in tach to be accurate and need to buy a small engine tach. Mine broke decades ago and I've been tuning by ear ever since.

·
21,369 Posts
Not unless it is badly out of adjustment. Mine was not badly out of adjustment so I did not gain 25% but did gain a little at a sacrifice of reverse speed. Before the adjustment the lever on the hydro pegged on reverse but not on forward. After the adjustment the lever on the hydro pegged on forward but not on reverse. Seems like Husqvarna engineers did not compensate for a loss of lever travel range due to cable stretch as I could not get it to peg in both directions. I would need to modify the linkage to get it to do so but that would void the warranty.

On my Craftsman, the factory design of the linkage did not allow the lever on the hydro to move as far as it could so a modification made it go considerably faster without any change in ability to climb a slope.

Does your tach peg on WOT? My throttle cable also needed adjusting as it was not pegging the governor linkage. I don't trust the built-in tach to be accurate and need to buy a small engine tach. Mine broke decades ago and I've been tuning by ear ever since.
There is only one way to increase the speed of a tractor with a hydro transmission beyond changing the gear ratio (which includes tire size) ... increase the rate of fluid flow. That means either the input speed increases, or the pump displacement increases.

Either will lead to cavitation which can destroy a pump in seconds.

Yes, it is possible to rob Peter to pay Paul and gain a bit more forward speed, but there is a mechanical limit on just how far a swash plate can be tilted to increase displacement, and that limit is going to fall well short of a 25% increase in speed from the specced 5.5 mph to 6.875 mph at rated engine rpm.

LTs, including the R322, have a rated top speed of about 5.5 mph. GTs have a rated top speed of 7-10 mph, depending on make and model. If you want more road speed, get a GT with a hydro that can handle the extra load at the rated input rpm without self destructing.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
You may also want to measure the rpm of the hydro/s and compare it with the manufacturers specs for that model. It may be that Husq doesn't have them at the maximum speed they are rated for, so you could potentially change the pulleys to run them at their maximum speed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like I'll be leaving it be then :)

I want this thing to be reliable. Its only if I road it to my brother place where its basically a fast walking pace now...I will just load it on my trailer instead!

Thanks guys for info thou. At least I know there is no easy way to change this, so I won't bother.

FYI, my old Kubota B2620 would do almost 20km/h and I thought that was slow. I won't be complaining about that anymore lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts