My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the radio, they have been reporting about a farm accident. This is another example of a totally unnecessary tragedy on a farm. A family friend had a 23 month old child riding in the cab of a tractor. The child fell out & was run over by the rear tire. The accident was fatal. :(
Farm/tractor safety is all too often disregarded. :tsk:
Let this be a reminder to always think safety.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
God, that is horrible.

·
Registered
933 Posts
A friend of mine was playing unattended on a tractor when he was around 2(this was about 45 years ago). He knocked it out of gear and the tractor started rolling, he fell off and the rear tire rolled over his head. His father found him sometime later, gathered him up and took him to the funeral home(the mortician was the county coroner). Upon examination, the coroner said "he's still alive!" They rushed him to the hospital and he made a full recovery. Aparently the ground was soft enough, his head sank in instead of being crushed. Today, he's the local district magistrate.

That time was only a scare, but another example that if you have equipment, and children, even a few seconds not watching them can have dire consequences.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,538 Posts
I related the story of two young children that snuck out and played on the backhoe their dad had borrowed from a friend to dig out a leaky pipe..the father went in the house to eat lunch and use the bathroom,and while he was busy,the kids ran out back and the little boy started playing with the levers (probably imitating his dad),and the bucket had been left "up" about 6' off the ground..the boy pulled the right lever,and it dropped--right on his 5 year old sister...killed her instantly..:(..cops that were the first responders there,vomited when they saw her...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts