My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't find this part locally so, hopefully someone will have or know where I can get one on here. Much appreciated !

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You can have the aftermarket one for $40 shipped. It is used, complete, clean. I wouldn't know how to tune it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,608 Posts

No idea if it is any good. Many people have had good luck with inexpensive carbs. It appears easy to find one online for not a lot of money.

I bought a cheap one for my Stihl saw and it runs too rich. It did work okay when I first got it, but not do much now a few months later. The original one lasted over a decade, until the diaphragm stopped working.

It looks like the original carb for your engine is still available, but is probably twice the price.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

No idea if it is any good. Many people have had good luck with inexpensive carbs. It appears easy to find one online for not a lot of money.

I bought a cheap one for my Stihl saw and it runs too rich. It did work okay when I first got it, but not do much now a few months later. The original one lasted over a decade, until the diaphragm stopped working.

It looks like the original carb for your engine is still available, but is probably twice the price.
I think the original one is 160-180 maybe?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
It seems the original is NLA: Briggs and Stratton 808728 CARBURETOR - Jacks Small Engines

So, your choice is rebuild the one you have. The rebuild kit looks to be about $140 or so. Or, buy a new clone from one of the many sources on the Internet. Be aware that B&S used different carbs based on serial number, not really sure what is the difference and how much it matters. I would buy the cheap carb and see if it works.

But, how do you know you even need a new carb?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. The main problem is the mounting with the online ones. The ones that match, mount differently therefore, won't work. This one is 4 bolt mount.
I put a new fuel pump on it and gas flow is good to Carb.
The Mower sat for 9 years. The owner died and I got it off of a relative. It actually started and ran for about 20 minutes when i got it. Gas was overflowing out of the choke . Cleaned carb. Put needle. Mower never started again unless primered Then would die after primer burned out.

·
Super Moderator
9,390 Posts
Try this guy...he used to work for B&S and when he was kind of forced out they gave him a ton of inventory...he is a terrific guy ...good rices...if he does not have it...he can fix your old one inexpensively
JMT ENT.PO Box 183443-542-1526[email protected]
Barton, MD 21521-0183

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Thanks. The main problem is the mounting with the online ones. The ones that match, mount differently therefore, won't work. This one is 4 bolt mount.
I put a new fuel pump on it and gas flow is good to Carb.
The Mower sat for 9 years. The owner died and I got it off of a relative. It actually started and ran for about 20 minutes when i got it. Gas was overflowing out of the choke . Cleaned carb. Put needle. Mower never started again unless primered Then would die after primer burned out.
Sounds like the needle wouldn't close originally and now it won't open. I usually got them to run but would be lean or right and I learned about how to clean the pilot jet, the nozzle, etc.

The parts for them are so darn expensive and normally not stocked most places so a bowl gasket and a needle comes out to almost $50.

·
Super Moderator
9,390 Posts
I needed some carb work on a Vanguard 14 on a Broadmoor...a new carb was almost 250 dollars...a rebuild kit was about 130 dollars...the guy whose information I posted provided the parts and rebuilt it for 60 dollars all in

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like the needle wouldn't close originally and now it won't open. I usually got them to run but would be lean or right and I learned about how to clean the pilot jet, the nozzle, etc.

The parts for them are so darn expensive and normally not stocked most places so a bowl gasket and a needle comes out to almost $50.

Jets may of got grimed up as old gas ran thru them when it started. Ive used carb cleaner over and over. What did u do to clean them ?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Well good luck. It's certainly cheaper than fixing the OEM one, although you may decide to do that later to have a spare.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts