My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone -

In the process of fixing up a 5020H (2000 Eliminator). I am in DESPERATE need of a steering gear / rack gear for it. The part number is 1740096 (174-0096). Does anyone know of any equivalencies for this part? It appears the design is almost identical in all of the Eliminators and Duratrecs w/o power steering. but the part numbers show up different. I have a source for the bushing that will need to be replaced.

If anyone has a 1400G, 1600G, 1900 (5019H), 2000 (5020H), or 5017G that they're parting out and has tight steering, please call me! 414-303-7774.

I have sent emails to all of the vendors on the sticky and some others too.

Also, if anyone has experience replacing this part, any advice would be appreciated. The local repair shop said the only way to drop the steering shaft is to cut it in half with a SawzAll! I've tried pulling the steering wheel and it WILL NOT BUDGE.

Thanks Much!
-CT

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more thing. The repair shop didn't think the steering gear could be re-machined/repaired due to the metal used to make the gear. Is this true?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Here is a link to Sonnys Bolens for the parts manuals and service manuals for the 5000 series
http://sonnys_bolens.tripod.com/manuals/5000.htm

The service manual has a description and images for removing the steering shaft on page 5-1. Essentially, you go under the tractor and remove a retaining ring to slide out the steering gear that looks like an arc. Then you go on top again to remove the nut clamping the steering wheel to the shaft. Then you can slide the steering shaft DOWN through the column. See the service manual; it is much clearer.

The steering wheel is held in place with a nut. Is there a plastic medallion in the center of the wheel concealing the nut?

(Flipping dogs got me up again at 4am. This time, the Old Guy got stuck under the bed and was barking about it.)

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I would never go back to that vender again :Stop: they are stupid just take the cap off and then remove the 2 nuts and then you can pull the wheel off there is a woodriff key there also. I just did all my steering on my 5019. To slide the shaft out you have to also loosen the gear housing that is bolted on the left side of the frame it helps to kind of tie the steering shaft up in place as it always wants to slide down as your trying to put it back togather. Don't forget when you assemble it to make sure you line up the steering shaft so that it will be clocked in the correct postion or your steering wheel will be off center, which wont effect how it steers or any thing but it will just look wrong. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
It's a shame you weren't on here a few months back. I had the steering gears, but I sold them. Let me know if you need other parts, I still have a good number of parts off the tractor. Like BOSMECH said, it can be removed without cutting the shaft. I cut mine, as I was trying to get the steering box out before the guy came to pick it up (didn't give myself enough time :banghead3). Also, I think I would at least try to repair the gear. The repair shop obviously didn't know much about the tractor. What is the gear made of?

Jason

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would never go back to that vender again :Stop: they are stupid just take the cap off and then remove the 2 nuts and then you can pull the wheel off there is a woodriff key there also. I just did all my steering on my 5019. To slide the shaft out you have to also loosen the gear housing that is bolted on the left side of the frame it helps to kind of tie the steering shaft up in place as it always wants to slide down as your trying to put it back togather. Don't forget when you assemble it to make sure you line up the steering shaft so that it will be clocked in the correct postion or your steering wheel will be off center, which wont effect how it steers or any thing but it will just look wrong. :thThumbsU
Awesome. Thank you for the advice. Forgive me, but where is the second nut? I only saw one hex nut when I popped off the cover. Do you have to tap out the woodruff key also? Mind you, my steering wheel appears to be rust locked on....

I think I might have found a used steering gear from www.tubeframes.com. The guy specializes in tube frame Bolens. Real nice guy. I emailed him late last night, he returned my email by 6 am!! Awesome! Maybe we should add it to the vendor sticky!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is a link to Sonnys Bolens for the parts manuals and service manuals for the 5000 series
http://sonnys_bolens.tripod.com/manuals/5000.htm

The service manual has a description and images for removing the steering shaft on page 5-1. Essentially, you go under the tractor and remove a retaining ring to slide out the steering gear that looks like an arc. Then you go on top again to remove the nut clamping the steering wheel to the shaft. Then you can slide the steering shaft DOWN through the column. See the service manual; it is much clearer.

The steering wheel is held in place with a nut. Is there a plastic medallion in the center of the wheel concealing the nut?

(Flipping dogs got me up again at 4am. This time, the Old Guy got stuck under the bed and was barking about it.)
I did try calling sonny's and emailing them. Haven't heard back yet.

I did remove the hex nut that holds the steering wheel on. I've heard there might be a second nut that I can't see? Do I need to remove the woodruff key also?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a shame you weren't on here a few months back. I had the steering gears, but I sold them. Let me know if you need other parts, I still have a good number of parts off the tractor. Like BOSMECH said, it can be removed without cutting the shaft. I cut mine, as I was trying to get the steering box out before the guy came to pick it up (didn't give myself enough time :banghead3). Also, I think I would at least try to repair the gear. The repair shop obviously didn't know much about the tractor. What is the gear made of?

Jason
What deck did you have? I have the 60" deck for the Eliminator 5000 series. I could use new blade shafts. The bearings are gone on my deck. It still cuts, but when the bearings went, they wore a groove in the blade shafts.

I think the gear is cast iron. That's what it looks like. It's not forged steel, which explains why the teeth chip off instead of wearing out.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I had the 42" deck. Never hooked it up. I only owned it for 6 months or so. Sams Bolens is more likely to actually get back to you, Sonny's doesn't return calls too often. Sam's will also have the spindles I think. In theory, you could weld and re grind the teeth, but when you weld cast iron, you run a big risk of cracking if it cools too fast. Do you have the single or 2 stage blower? I had a single for mine that I got off ebay all siezed up for $15.

Jason

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I guess there is only one nut but the woodriff key will stay on the shaft as you pull the wheel off. Yes the gear is cast iron and if the wheel is stuck on just use a good penetratingoil and let it soak in for a little while, once you have the wheel off next is to take the steering gear off from the frame once again penetrating oil might come in handy. :fing32:

By the way you should call that mechanic that said to cut it and tell him how it comes off so he wont look stupid next time.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Glad you found one. Jestin is one of the best parts sources.

Jason

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Thats great don't forget to lube everything up with grease before you assemble it, and grease it after you have it all done. A good clean lubed up project will save you time and a headache in the long run.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Nice !!!!!!!!
Now just dont hit a train, house, car or anything with that beast, because it will destroy anything in its way

1 - 16 of 16 Posts