My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a couple years ago we had a drought.
This year we're getting rain by the Garden full.
I had this garden all ready to go. We got the Potatos in...and then the Frog strangling rains came. Several inches in a few days. A break and more rain.
Now we've had Tornados coming through. In behind each of those fronts is three to five inches of rain. Look at the Potato hills and gullys. Think that's enough water to rot the Potatos in the ground?
after the tornado swamp garden.jpg after the tornado Potatoes.jpg

Here's some Marion Berries and Black Berries we imported from Washington state two Years ago. They will blossom, but no Berries. Maybe this year, with all the Rain, they'll think they are back in Washington state?
View attachment 66465 View attachment 66466

Attachments

·
Guru on the Mountain
2,072 Posts
Yep, know the feeling. After the tornado up there, I drove back home to check (9mi SW of Arab or 7mi NE of Holly Pond) from Hsv RSA today. Daughter was at Wallace at the time and they had tem locked down. Last good hit I had was not here in Cullman Cty though, was at a farm we also owned up near Lexington and Jackson TN. That one killed some neighbors on an adjacent farm (took whole house was F4 or 5) and did over 50K damage on our place there in 1/99. Wife owns a place in Blount cty on 231 S of Arab been in her family, has not been hit at least in the last 100 years so far.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We were locked down this AM and again this afternoon the Sireens kept going off south of us.

I guess we'll get some more this evening. I unplug all the Computer equipment when the Lightening starts. No point in letting the gods of light make Krispy Kritters out of my computers.

Im on Hogg mountain, near West Point on Hiway 157.
I asked my wife; "what the heck'd we move here for anyway?" Right in the heart of bad weather.
It's green and I like it a lot.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We had two days without rain. I put the tiller in the second row to see what the condition of the soil was.
The Tiller sunk to its knees instantly. I was able to finish the row, but I'll wait another day or two before I try to turn it into garden soil.

At least this year we didnt get frozen out twice, just soggied out!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts