My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Craftsman GT 5000, model #27632, two weeks ago. Today was the first real test for my new garden tractor.

Three months ago we purchased a new home in NE Pennsylvania with 2 acres of wooded property. When the home was completed, the ground was frozen. The builder could not finish the landscaping. He will be returning in late April to seed and finish landscaping. The front yard, 90’ x 120’ is very uneven and is 100% shale. This portion of the property was only partially cleared.

Today, I began the thinning out process and my new GT 5000 completely impressed me. I cut and hauled quite a bit of oak and beach in a 16 CF dump trailer. The GT 5000 not only managed the very uneven terrain, it had more than enough power to pull the overloaded trailer.

I also managed to cut a trail to the back portion of the property. I plan on hauling most of the trimmed brush to a place that is out of sight and out of mind. It will also make excellent cover for small game. The trail is about 300’ long, of which 150’ is mostly up hill. The terrain is the usual slippery forest floor covering. Especially since it has done nothing but rain for the past two days. The GT pulled through like a champ.

I am absolutely thrilled with the performance of this GT. The only downside is the mud. It seems like every time I get on and off my new toy I manage to deposit mud and clay everywhere. The painted surfaces surrounding the footrests have took a beating today. It was a bit disheartening. However it really added some character to the tractor.

Thank you to everyone for his or her insightful posts!! Where is SAMSRAM?? I need chrome to cover the mud!!!!!

Rick
:1106:

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
Sounds like your putting it though the paces. :fing32: Everyone need to put a little character on there tractor. Its shows you do work it even though it still looks good.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Good to hear that you enjoy your new tractor. I bought a new GT5000 back in January, and have used it for grading my drive and a couple of cuttings on some ragged grass. I love this machine!

A lot of people like to rag on the Craftsman tractors as cheap and not well made. Are they a Deere? No. Are they intended to be? No. However, they are a well-built, well-priced tractor that will do everything the more expensive tractors will do.

Take care of it, maintain it well, and don't push it beyond its limitations and it will give you many years of solid, dependable service.

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
That's Great News!

I own a GT5000 and I'm pretty happy with it too.

Samsram, Jody and Simple John(admin) can give you some great pointers on keeping it shiny....and where to put the chrome ROF

·
Registered
36 Posts
Gt 5000

Hello all
I'm new to this craftsman site I was previously a member of the old Tractor forum on the Bolens site , I have since somewhat given up on the bolens, parts are expensive, no one in California is even familiar with bolens and every thing seems to be in the mid western and east coast states so shipping is always costly. So I decided to buy a craftsman DGT6000 and I'm really gald to read these posts from members who are satisfied ,even impressed with their GT5000s. I had a very dificult time in deciding which model to purchase between the GT5000's and the one '05 DGT6000 that sears offers,they are avalible with Briggs engines in the 22,24,26,and 27HP ranges then they have the Kohlers in the 25,26 (the 27HP is no longer avalible for 2005 .I did'nt really want to spend the $2700.00 but there was no way to really know how the less expensive models performed and if there is a really noticeable difference in power ,I would really like to hear what every one thinks of the the Briggs and Stratons as opposed to the Kohlers.
Thanks Jesse

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
Welcome ecsi635j

Briggs or Kohler...not really all that much difference...both are internal combustion, 4 cycle engines...There are Kohler fans and Briggs fans that can give you their slant on it, but it all boils down to which tractor you can get the best deal on. :D

·
MTF Member Since Day 1
623 Posts
I went with the Briggs only because it's $300.00 less then the kohler. I still believe either one will last more then the tractor will. I also did not want a BLACK lawn tractor. Kinda strange, but come on, we use it the most in the summer, black is not what I want when the sun is beating down!

ToppDogg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts