My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several implements for my BX25, including a tiller, a landscape rake, and a box scraper. I have a nice size pole building to store it all in, with a good concrete floor. My problem is moving the implements around without having to give each one wall space. So if the implements are two deep, (rake in front of the tiller, for example), I have to move the rake to get to the tiller. That means hooking up a chain and lifting it out of the way to get to the tiller. Anyway, I got this idea that I could use pallets for storing the implements (just set them down on a pallet and then disconnect from the 3ph). Then I could just use a pallet jack (less than $200) to move them around easily. I thought that might give me good maneuverability without having to put the forks on the tractor and move stuff that way (although that would also be a possibility).

Would connecting implements to the 3ph when sitting on a pallet be any different from doing it with the implement sitting on the floor? Just wondering if this might be a way to make my storage more fluid and make implements more accessible without a hassle.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I wish that I had any form of structure for my implements :(, but I do place some of my attachments on pallets for storage. As long as the floor/ground surface is level and that your lower link arms are able to reach the height of the implement's lower link pins while it's on the pallet I see no problems with attaching/dettaching implements. One just has to be careful on approach with hookup and lift the implement after attachment and prior to moving.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
if you have a concrete floor, there is no faster way of moving stuff around, than when it's all sitting on inexpensive dollies from harbor freight, like this one for example:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I wish they worked on dirt ;).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you have a concrete floor, there is no faster way of moving stuff around, than when it's all sitting on inexpensive dollies from harbor freight, like this one for example:

That's a good suggestion and certainly one I hadn't thought of. Are the dollies big enough to handle most implements? I wonder about setting a tiller on one, for example. Not in terms of the weight (most of these dollies will handle pianos, in fact I think they are called "piano dollies") but in terms of shape, size, and contact points with the surface of the dolly.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
A 3PH quick hitch sounds like the best way to me. It would be just as fast, cheaper, and easier. Nothing to install when you want to move. Just back up, raise 3PH, drive away to another spot, lower 3PH and then back up & hook up the second implement.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A 3PH quick hitch sounds like the best way to me. It would be just as fast, cheaper, and easier. Nothing to install when you want to move. Just back up, raise 3PH, drive away to another spot, lower 3PH and then back up & hook up the second implement.
My problem is that much of the time I have the BH attached and don't want to attach the 3ph just to move something 10 feet across the floor. Even a quick hitch doesn't help if I don't have the 3ph attached.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I would get the dolly as pictured above. slkpk

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
most of my stuff is on pallets and it works ok, but the dollies would allow you to move stuff around without the tractor. maybe a custom sized one for the bigger stuff, harbor freight has castors pretty cheap.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
The problem with pallets is their footprint may not match what's on it so it could take up much more space. A few of those HF dollies might conserve space.

Also, you need a certain amount of room to navigate the pallet mover into position. Consider getting an engine hoist instead and forget about pallets.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
the dollies come in various shapes and sizes... for example, this one:

is only $4!!!

what I do is have 2 of the other ones I pictured before, for my tiller. One on either side. Works perfectly.
For my FEL, I also use 2, one for the scoop, and one for the rear bar / stand.

you can even connect 2 dollies together with a 2x12 & some screws, to make a dolly platform any length you want.

the sky is the limit... the price is right... and you can't beat the convenience!

even for attaching to 3PH, having the implement on wheels makes alignment onto the hitch dead easy!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
the dollies come in various shapes and sizes... for example, this one:

is only $4!!!

what I do is have 2 of the other ones I pictured before, for my tiller. One on either side. Works perfectly.
For my FEL, I also use 2, one for the scoop, and one for the rear bar / stand.

you can even connect 2 dollies together with a 2x12 & some screws, to make a dolly platform any length you want.

the sky is the limit... the price is right... and you can't beat the convenience!

even for attaching to 3PH, having the implement on wheels makes alignment onto the hitch dead easy!
Exactly. I have a couple of custom dollies from BXpanded.com for my FEL and my BH and it is just wonderful to be able to roll them up to the tractor for mounting/dismounting instead of moving the tractor to them. Thanks for the suggestions. These dollies look like just the ticket for me ... and the price is right too. The 30x18 model on Harbor Freight is only $25. Two linked together with a couple of short 2x4s would make a great tiller dolly.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
my problem is that much of the time i have the bh attached and don't want to attach the 3ph just to move something 10 feet across the floor. Even a quick hitch doesn't help if i don't have the 3ph attached.
ic...

·
Registered
3 Posts

I use this dolly with some plywood between the end pads to hold 55 gallon barrels of water. I nailed the plywood to the dolly so the barrel sits level. The dolly handles the weight just fine and I can move a full barrel easily on my concrete floor.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Those wheels have been on my "things to buy that agitate the wife" list, that is not the problem. The real problem is with the builder of the custom wood rack/carriage. In his defense, those telescoping lower link arms make the need for moveable storage pallets less necessary.

I have higher priorities on that special list.

·
Registered
209 Posts
hm
i once had the thought of putting up some storage area hanging to ceiling of garage. our garage is pretty high 4 metre in height,

the problem is floor space with the arrival of the little mule and its attachments.

if this is of any interest out there. and have a tall ceiling. you can use beams and planks to make like a big tray/attic enough for the implements and buy an electric winch/hoist and using beams in an H shpe with the central one swivelling along the ones on the side you could just lift the implements up and push them into their space on the rack.

but then again how much money are you ready to throw on these things, is it normal to be thinking these thoughts. . . . locally most tractor guys leave things outside. we dont get much snow even if rusty atmosphere here.

joe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts