My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.
So looking at getting a impact wrench to help remove shoes off the 8 ton digger. Guess they are about a 3/4" bolt.

Here is maybe my problem. My property is totally off grid. I dont use a lot of power so only have a 3000w inverter (5000w peak) So not sure I will be able to run a very big compressor. Would prefer to go battery if I could but they only seem to have a fraction of the impact force.

How big a impact wrench do you think I would need on those bolts?
Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
52 Posts
I try not to shear things off.

How big - Depends on the steel (grade) of the bolt.

There are a lot of factors that go into bolt loading and failure. Fastenal has a good online load calculator.

It will put up 1200 in-lbs of torque.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,956 Posts
Rough guide is you want an impact with a drive that is equal too or larger than the biggest bolt you'll be working on...3/4" bolts,I'd get a 3/4" impact gun..

They sell electric impact guns,not sure if they make one larger than 1/2" though..
They probably do,but one may draw more amps than your inverter can handle ,maybe not..if that is an issue,maybe a 3/4" breaker bar and a long hunk of pipe for a cheater handle will work for you..sometimes you must break things free "manually" first before an impact gun will loosen things !..

·
Registered
728 Posts
A good breaker bar combined with a half inch cordless impact.

·
Choke's stuck on!
496 Posts
You can get away with a small air compressor for intermittent use with a large impact gun. Just make sure the regulator and hose is sized appropriately. I'm not knocking cordless guns but just providing another solution. I gather you are not located where most of us are in North America where it practically rains cordless tools.

·
4,243 Posts
First thing I would do is spray the offending bolt with penetrating solution (Kroil, wd40, liquid wrench or 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone)..bang at it a little to get the penetrant into it and help break free the rust.. ...repeat over the course of a few days..after a few applications, hit it with some heat and try it with a breaker bar.....if it is a 3/4 inch bolt...what size is the head on it?.......I think if your compressor gets up to 150PSI ...and a lot of 120V units do that....it should drive the impact gun sufficiently to break the bolt free....is it a bolt that is screwed directly into a threaded piece...or does the bolt extend through the piece with a nut on the other end?
If it protrudes all the way, oil up the extended piece that goes past the nut to ease the rest of the unscrewing
If you are going to reuse them throw them in some engine oil, even used oil, while you are doing your other work and coat them with some anti seize compound before reassembly so they come off easier the next time...good luck....let us know how it goes

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
What's the torque spec for the fasteners you're trying to remove? You'll need something with at least that much power, plus enough to overcome resistance from corrosion.

I've used a 3/4 breaker bar with a 6-foot iron pipe to remove hubs (not lugs) from my Explorer, which have a spec in the neighborhood of 200-ftlb. Awkward, but effective. Surprising how much effort it took even with the long pipe.

I now have a HF electric (wired) impact gun. I don't think it would have touched those hubs.

Mike

·
21,740 Posts
If you are only dealing with one size of bolt, a hammer wrench and a 6 lb sledge cut down for one handed use will work just fine. No electricity, no battery, and no compressed air needed, but it does help to eat your Wheaties.

Hammer wrenches are forged and not inexpensive, but you can whale away on one all day long with a 12 lb hammer and use it again tomorrow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the tips.
Im in NZ. So 240v. If I get around to changing the chains there are 4 bolts per link x 42 links a track x 2 tracks. So 336 bolts. Happy to replace them with new ones so dont mind if they get trashed on removal. Think impact wrench is going to be the fastest.
Might be next year now before I take it on.
Cheers
Mark

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Wow, that changes things! That's a lot of fasteners.

Can you post any pics?

BTW, :Welcome1:

Mike

·
4,243 Posts
I think that I imagined something different..are you talking about the tracks?....if you are going to wait a year...or any length of time I would mix about 5 gallons of a 50 / 50 mix of the acetone and ATF and start slopping it on with a paint brush and keep it up every couple days until you get to it
Show a picture...we may get better ideas

·
Registered
728 Posts
A good breaker bar combined with a half inch cordless impact.
How does that work?

Walt Conner
By using the breaker bar to break the bolts loose and then the impact take them off; it's what I do all the time.

But don't get me wrong I would love to have a $400 cordless impact; just not in the budget right now.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts