My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Well I was running the Gravely Commercial 10 today (cutting some TALL grass). She was purring like a kitten when all of a sudden it shut down. It's never done this before so I took her back to the garage to check it out.

Had plenty of fuel getting to it, so I pulled the plug and it was good and wet. I grabbed the spark plug wire and cranked it over...notta thing. No spark at all.

I don't know what happened but can you guys give me some help on how the electrical system works on this machine?

This is a 1967 Commercial 10 with a K241 (G24) 10 Horse Kohler. It has the optional electric start that runs off a belt, but I don't know if that makes any difference or not.

Thanks for the replies ahead of time

Matt

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My father in law has owned this thing for over 20 years, and he said that he hasn't even changed a spark plug in it...I did manage to do that, but I really don't know much about the electrical system. You don't happen to know where I can get a wiring Diagram for this motor, do you?

Thanks for the reply. Here within the next couple days I guess I'm going to have to tear into it...

Matt

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd say that this thing has points, it don't even know if they had electronic ignitions in '67, did they?

It will take me a day or two to get it apart, but maybe I'll post some pics and let you guys see what it is.

The Serial # is J-1917, if that helps

Matt

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
It should have a set of points and an ignition coil. My stuff is at home so I'll try to get you a schematic for the wiring this evening.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, Thanks Fla Don. I've been looking at the performance ignitions...has anyone tried them?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks alot for the book, I saved it on my computer. That's gonna be a big help when I start tearing it down. I really appreciate it!

Matt

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE: I finally got around to looking at it today and found the problem...

The screw that holds the wire going from the points to the condenser was almost completly unscrewed. I really don't know how it was running in the first place. I got it fixed and came up with another problem.

It fired right up and ran after I tightened it back up, but I noticed that the spark plug was loose...so I shut it off and tightened it back down. Now the Generator/Starter seems like it doesn't have enough juice going to crank the motor over.

I know it was getting enough juice cuz I had a jumper battery AND the battery charger hooked up to it. I took the belt off and turned the key over and it spun fine, but seemed like the pulley vibrated an awful lot...I don't know how but maybe the shaft is warped/bent.

It only takes one pull with a rope to start this thing, so it's really not that big of a concern...but I'd like to get this fixed when money allows.

Again thanks everyone for all the help. It wasn't that big of a problem but I really appreciate all the info anyways.

Matt

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, I haven't checked the brushes out yet. I tried to unscrew the screw that holds the brushes, but I couldn't get it off and didn't want to mess up the head on it. I did spray a lil WD-40 on the shaft and it seemed to help some, but to tell you the truth if I did manage to get the screw off I really woudn't know what I'd be looking at. I've never messed with them....

Matt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts