My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last night i decided to take my toro out and tinker with it around the yard.that was mistake number 1.i then tryed to start it easy and it wouldent fire up.so then i gave it a huge pull and it kicked back on me so hard it slammed me in to the handle.that was mistake number 2.after a minute of trying to understand what just happend i was dumb enough to start it full throttle with the trans in 3 which is about a jogging pace for me.as soon as that mower roared to life it took off and rode a wheelie dragging me down the gravel driveway.since the bail was on the bottom and was the self propell control there was no way to realsese it and stop the mower.so i manged to grab the throttle and rip it to slow.which slowed the mower to the point where it went on all 4 wheels and i could get on my feet.when i got on my feet i shut the mower off and am full of little bloody scrapes,and am scared to death of the toro.im not sure if thats what happend but thats what my dad told me after he came running to me.i think im taking this month off of working on any lawn equipment,the heats been brutal to me and i think it just got the best of me so far.i think i might have to go to the hos pital for the front of my figers as they were chewed up from the diveway really badly.and please remember im only 97 pounds and it doesent take much to throw me around like a ragdoll.i hope this never happends to you guys with any other kind of equipment.:sorry1:

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about that. Glad to hear that you're ok! I'm sure many of us here have had an unpleasant run in with a piece of equipment in way or another over the years. Just makes you more careful and makes you respect what the machine has the capacity to do. Also, hospital bills aren't cheap these days if you're deductible is declined.

·
Registered
141 Posts
after a minute of trying to understand what just happend i was dumb enough to start it full throttle with the trans in 3 which is about a jogging pace for me.as soon as that mower roared to life it took off and rode a wheelie dragging me down the gravel driveway.since the bail was on the bottom and was the self propell control there was no way to realsese it and stop the mower.
Sorry to hear about your mishap but it's not clear to me what happened. At one time or another I've disabled the deadman safety bail on every lawn mower I've owned but I've never had a self-propelled lawn mower that could be started in gear. I've only used one Toro, a recent Personal Pace model, so I probably have no idea what your setup is like. Being able to start a mower in gear is a major safety hazard.
i think i might have to go to the hos pital for the front of my figers as they were chewed up from the diveway really badly.
I have no idea what medical facilities are near you but an urgent care center is almost always less expensive than a hospital emergency room even if you have good insurance. In rural areas most primary care docs handle walk-in emergency minor surgery in the office.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Sorry to hearing about your accident, hope your wounds heal quickly. I got almost the same problem with my Toro Re-cycler. I`m lucky my wife is a retired nurses aid and a Doctor Mom. My wife wanted to use the little Toro, but after me showing her how I have to start it in gear she said, you can use it that way. I don`t want to, you need to fix it, and make it safe or put it in neutral so I can use it like a push mower. It`s in neutral now, one thing it rolls very easy and the wheels are not sloppy for it`s age.

I have a Toro 20218 it`s a 1991 or 92, also a 3 speed, I got the cable wet and after sitting for awhile, the gear selector didn't move at all. I figure if I move the gear selector back and forth after a quick spray of WD-40, that it would free up. Wrong I should have used my fluid film and let it eat at the rust that was binding it up, and just let it sit.

Nope not me I was in a hurry, I had a trimming job that could have been done with a string trimmer. So I started working back and forth, after a while forcefully. The bent end slipped out of the gear selector lever. I was mad at myself for breaking it. The end of the gear selector is enclosed inside of a black plastic housing with no opening. I thought about cutting open a small section then bent it back up and insert it back where it belongs. I can`t bring myself to cut that piece, it may just weaken the housing, there`s got to be a better way.

Anyway I moved the transmission arm down into 1 gear I had it in third. Now when I start the mower up I have to hold the dead man up just enough so the motor will start up, 1 or 2 pulls on full choke. The safety is in tacked and if I`m not careful and don`t drop it down to where she`ll say running it will take off on me, but it will start in gear. I think there is a warning on the dashboard. I can order a new part #2 76-2712
Toro/Wheelhorse/Lawnboy CONTROL-SPEED, GROUND from Small Engine Parts warehouse for $22.19

This a new part #old number is 76-2711 Control-Ground Speed
http://www.sepw.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=76-2712&Exact=True

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Being 6' 1" and 205 lbs., I've never had a SP Mower knock me off my feet and drag me down the driveway. Are you sure that's what happened? Remember if you go to urgent care you will have to have a shot and maybe STITCHES!!!

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i had a docta check it out today-he just gave it a simple treatment and sent me on my way with a $60 bill as for the toro's set up,is model 22176 (ser 2500)the self propel bail is also the dead mans switch,very bad set up.and they still use this system today.but im in pain but im sure next week i could go back to mowing but like i said,im taking the month off.ive worked every day includeing my bday this year and i think im over worked.i always thought BBC and tecumseh engines would do this but a B&S,kawi or honda never kicked back on me until the kawi did.i do belive a flywheel key check is due...any good ideas on how to get the fly wheel off with out speical tools?

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Being 6' 1" and 205 lbs., I've never had a SP Mower knock me off my feet and drag me down the driveway. Are you sure that's what happened? Remember if you go to urgent care you will have to have a shot and maybe STITCHES!!!
now that im settled down some my memory of the event is starting to go along with what my dad told me.the more i think about it the more sense his story makes.im still kinda shocked but ill be alright...i think...i hope.:praying:

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol thanks you guys,im trying to make it so the bail is on top of the handle like all other mowers are now.it will be much easyer to use if it works.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts