My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I bought a 1250.It was from an estate,and isn't running.The good things are that the sheet metal and other panels are straight and all there,it was repainted at some point-no rust that I saw,paint cracking on deck.the seat has been replaced,the dash looks nice-has a new hour meter with a couple of hours showing,so I don't know about that.Bad things are that there is no battery,and the tray is partially rusted out,rear tires are dry rotted,pinholes in short pipe of muffler coming out of engine.The gas tank is empty,spark plug lead disconnected.The PO's son-in-law said that it was running last year-I wonder?The dipstick registers halfway between full and add.I guess that I'll put a battery in it,a new plug,some gas,and see what I have.Cosmetically,it looks good-decals look recent-and paint is a good 3 footer.The best part is I only gave $150,so I figure that I can always part it out for more if it has something terminally wrong.I know that you all want pictures,but other than a camera on a Blackberry,I don't own one,and I'm technologically somewhat "challenged".Does anyone have any suggestions before I try to get it running?Thank you all!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Does anyone have any suggestions before I try to get it running?
Yes, post pictures :fing32:

You might want to remove the float bowl and check for tarnish. If the float bowl has tarnish, clean the entire carb because there is a very good chance that one of the jets is clogged too.

Then, remove the sparkplug, drop a little MMO (Marvelous Mystery Oil) in the cylinder and crank the engine for about 10 seconds. Replace the plug and have a go at starting the beast.

Before you operate the tractor (other then starting it) make sure you grease everything that gets greased.

But photos first.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I weren't such a twit,I'd post pictures.Thanks,I forgot the oil down the chute thing.Thanks

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Picked it up yesterday.Put a battery in,a new plug,mystery oil,and it wont fire.In fact,it doesn't seem to have any spark.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Could be a lot of things, and everyone has favorite place to start.But since you said no spark and if you know that for sure ,the points and plug would seem a good place to start.Make sure you have power at the coil the ignition switch could be bad or have dirty connections inside or out. Also, if it was put to bed with fuel in it ,the tank/lines and carb could be gummed up.Not as serious as it sounds,a little time and effort will pay off.Stuck a pic of my favorite 1650 it's a big brother to the 1250

Good Luck ,Bob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bob,
That 1650 is great looking!This old 1250 seems to have compression,spins over ok,put new plug in.I'm betting either the coil is dead or points or condenser.Where are the points on those?I know that sounds stupid,but...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Not stupid at all ,I did'nt know till I asked either.On the same side of the engine as the carb but down low towards the front you will see a small cover. It has two screws in it and a wire running out the bottom with a rubber grommett around it.Just remove the cover screws top and bottom, the frame may have a hole drilled in it to get the lower screw loose ,that lower one does not have to come all the way out the cover hole is a slot. The wire slides out a slot on the bottom of the cover under it are the points you can replace or clean them.Off the top of my head I think twenty thousands set on the highest lift on the cam, should get you some spark if thats your problem .The condenser is mounted up by the coil on the other side.I sold my last Quietline tractor a while back and kinda got into the 82 series tractors so I am going on my sometimes faulty memory.A good manual would be a great investment .

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts