My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I got a problem here....

I ordered and installed the Ruegg 3-point cat 0/1 hitch a while back. Now my Cat 1 rake came in this week. The rake is in the shop, my tractor at home. I was looking at the rake last night in work and something wasn't adding up for me. So, I measured the distance between the pin locations on the rake and came up with somewhere around 26" give or take. I get home and measure the width of the arms and they only open up to about 22" give or take.

What gives?

I'm kind of confused right now, because I thought that the Ruegg hitch was for cat o and cat 1 implements.. but now it looks like cat 1 is to big for it.

The Big problem is.. I cant return the rake.. there is no possible way. Due to a mess up, it ended up being a special order and the place I bought it for ate the price difference in my favor. So, I know they wont take it back after all that.

What do I do?? Why the different spacing?

I'm new to tractors and their respective implements... So, I fear I made my first big mistake!!

Wasper

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Can I get a picture of the cat-0/1 convertible mounted? I was wondering myself how Bill pulls off the convertible piece. I think probably he has you flip the lift arms.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Are your 3PH lower arms all the way out? Don't you adjust how wide they spread with chains or some means on the bottom arms?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
The chains are to simply take up the slack, Brett.

My cat 0 spreads 22"-23" so I can get a 20" implement plus pins attached.

Lengthening the lift links will let you spread a little wider, but Wasper is going to need to go quite wide to get over the pins on a 26" cat-1 implement.

That's why I think Bill would curve his draught arms such that if you flip them one way you're cat-0, the other you are cat-1.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys,

Here are a couple of pictures I took after I installed it.

This first picture show the arms open on the tractor. There is a bit more spread on them then what is shown.

This picture shows one of the arms. If you look, there are two positions for the chain to be attached. The way I figured it, was that the chain hookup furthest from the tractor would close the arms up for cat 0. Then , when you put the chains in the spots closest to the tractor, the arms spread out for cat 1. At least that's how I thought it went.

But, even with the chains in the position for the widest arm spread (and I have the adjusters out all the way), it is only around 22" or so.

Now, I've been racking my brain as to why it is like this. Then I came across, in my searches, something called "limited" cat 1. I guess this limited cat 1 is for cat 1 pins, but with cat 0 spacing. Do you think that this cat 0/1 combo hitch is in fact a cat 0/ limited cat 1 combo hitch?

But, when I think like that.. then why would there be a smaller setting for the chains?

I also was thinking of the arm reversal.. but then there is no chain hookup on the opposite side.. so that doesn't make sense either....

Like I said, I'm confused, lol

Wasper

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Wasper,

On my carry all which is Much wider then my rear blade pins. I have had to unbolt one of the pins and take it all the way off, so I have one side with a pin and one side without. Now I push the one side with the pin on and then push the carry all over that direction as far as I can and the other arm will go just around the outside edge of the otherside. When I get it out there I then shove a pin through the holes and put on the retaining clip.

It can be done. The difference between the cat 0 and cat 1 is the diameter of the pin size not the width of the implements. Or so I thought? All of my implements are cat1 and some are just wider then others. I'll try and get some pics this afternoon if needed, I'm betting this will work for you.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I know nothing about this, but just looking at the picture I wonder how wide the arms would spread if you removed the chains? It would be easy to make the chains longer.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Limited cat 1 means the tractor won't lift quite as high as a true cat1 like found on a SCUT OR CUT tractor has nothing to do with spacing.

Give me a minute BRB with pics

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
Show us a picture of what your hooking up to...
Sometimes the pins can be fliped to face in on the rakes...

·
Registered
443 Posts
The Cat "1 Limited" hitch is pretty much as you described, 1 pin sizes but 0 spacing and lift. Just another smokescreen from the manufacturers. Even the smallest Deere compact, the 2305 (I think), has Cat "1 Limited" 3 pt.

My own rake was bought as a Cat "0" but was just a 1 frame with 5/8" pins. The problem I ran into was that the pins were so high, relative to the ground, that there was no travel left to get any clearance. My cure was to fabricate new brackets to lower the pins and centerlink holes. I left the original pins in place so I could still use it with a Cat "1" tractor on the occasions that I rented something with more muscle.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
You are removing the chains when you try to put the implement pins through the draught arms aren't you?

It also appears the the lift arms are supposed to move outward at the rockshaft to allow maximum width on the draught arms.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am no where near an expert, but the tractor I had with 3-piont had the chains set up a bit different than what I am seeing here. Mine were attached to the tractor and then to the arms not from arm to arm -- was told that was to keep the arms from swinging into the tires. If I am seeing right, your arms can swing into the tires. Might be part of your problem.

On your rake, can you set the pins in the inside for a narrower 3-point? I had a rear blade that you could do that with.

But again, I am not an expert nor do I really have that much experience, just ideas. Also, my tractor was not Green in color and that might be the difference (one was PK Orange and the other was blue and not Ford).

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Cat 0 lower hitch (draught arm) spacing is 20", cat 1 is 26". You have some limited or modified cat 1 implements MM.

Like Alan said, it's a manufacturer's game.

But, please do post a picture of what you have when you try to fit it up wasper.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I bet this is the problem, unbolt one of the pins on the rake. See what I did.

Note the first pic is the left side pin of the carry all and look closely I don't bolt it on like the right side scond pic. Next pic is the blade width.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Good Luck you'll be up to this in no time. Just slide a pin through on the rake, like a hitch pin in your top link. :trink39::trink39:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Show us a picture of what your hooking up to...
Sometimes the pins can be fliped to face in on the rakes...
You can find pictures of the rake in this thread. Like I said, the rake is at the machine shop (got delivered there). I was making a set of gauge wheels (in thread).. when I noticed the difference.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=143830

As you can see, There is no way to reverse the pins due to the closed back... so that easy fix is out the window :(

I don't know.. perhaps it is a limited hitch, or perhaps I'm not doing something correctly. Unfortunately, I have no way of test fitting it, as the rake and hitch are separated about 1 hour from each other. I don't have a pick up,so i'll have to beg or borrow when the time comes to move it home. I had it delivered to the shop so I could make the gauge wheels.. now I wish I had sent to my house first.

I'm in work again right now (worked all weekend.. busy, busy)... but when I get home later, I will try to mess around with the hitch to see how wide I can actually get it opened up.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Hmmmmmm if returns isn't an option, your at a machine shop, a torch and hole under the bottom arm on one side and cut the other pin out if I had to? Or sell it and get a different rake? Your 3 point looks correct on the tractor, Nice looking job on the wheels, can't wait to see a finished product. Good Luck!:trink39::trink39:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
What I got out of Ruegg's hitch is that it is just setup for 7/8" pins. To use Cat 0 you have to get a spacer that slips on the 5/8" pins and makes them 7/8". I don't think garden tractors have enough room between the rear tires to take the 26" spacing of a Cat 1 compared to the 20" of Cat 0. What you need to do is turn the pins to the inside and then your spacing is narrower. That's what I did on my box blade but I also put the Cat 0 5/8" pins on it. If you can't reverse the pins I think your screwed.

http://www.tractordata.com/articles/technical/threepoint.html

Three-point hitch specifications
Category Hitch pin size Lower hitch spacing Tractor drawbar power upper link lower links
0 17 mm (5⁄8") 17 mm (5⁄8") 500 mm (20") <15 kW (<20 hp)
1 19 mm (3⁄4") 22.4 mm (7⁄8") 718 mm (26") 15-35 kW (20-45 hp)
2 25.5 mm (1") 28.7 mm (1 1⁄8") 870 mm (32") 30-75 kW (40-100 hp)
3 31.75 mm (1 1⁄4") 37.4 mm (1 7⁄16") 1010 mm (38") 60-168 kW (80-225 hp)
4 45mm (1 3⁄4") 51 mm (2") 1220 mm (46") 135-300 kW (180-400 hp)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
A piece of heavy 2 or 3 inch angle iron welded on each side with correct spacing in the front and pins through that would also fix the problem. Your top link would still adjust the angle well enough. :trink40::drunkie::drunkie: Easy fix there just weld it to the fron tubing on each side.

·
Registered
443 Posts
If you can get lift height enough it might be possible to turn your attaching pins around so they are inside the frame. There is a bushing made to snug a 3/4" hole down to 5/8", using that (it would need to be cut to length) would preclude the pins wallowing around in the oversized holes.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts