My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So,

The Cub GT1554 snapped another drive belt on fathers day. The mower deck has a crack in it, the e brake stopping working two weeks ago. I'm so fed up with this machine. Warrenty repair place can't take it till next week so my yard will be a mess on the kids birthday this weekend. :banghead3

Told the wife we need a new tractor, she went on and on about how were not buying something high end which was the fight the first time, so we bought the mtd pos now look where I am. Stoppin off at the liqour store today to drown my woes. :crybaby:

Massey Ferguson has 0% financing but do I want a 250 dollar tractor payment when both my cars are the verge?

I'm the only male in the house, a fel sure would help me out with all the work around the property but 15k for a tractor....gawd..

I definately need 4wd to climb the hills and no belt drives. Would a 4wd atv and a swisher tow behind do the trick?

Has anyone used a swisher deck and a atv before?

What the heck should I purchase, I want quality, but I don't want to just pay for a name. I want a reliable machine that will do the work and not kill my budget in the process? Is that even possible?

·
Registered
292 Posts
weve had pretty good luck with craftsman they are pretty well made ours is over 10 years old and would be using that right now if the shifter hadnt rusted solid and broke off because it was left outside uncovered all winter and havent had the money to get the shifter but still starts and runs perfect never a problem and we mow about 2 acres and pull a cart sometimes rather heavy at that I pulled one of my cars with it one time lol. im sure others will chime in here before long with their opinions also but im gonna say craftsman because you get alot of tractor at a decent price in my opinion . just get the biggest you can afford that will handle what you need it to do

·
Registered
301 Posts
How much land are you cutting? How are the hills? How rough is the land? What else do you do with your tractor?

If you need 4x4 to cut grass, you should probably let nature take it back over!

What is your budget, maybe you want to consider a used older model?

Chris

·
Registered
292 Posts
also there always is the option of getting an older used one the old ones no matter what brand seen to be built better and built to last weather its a 70s cub , john deere , wheelhorse and many others i would not buy a newer cub as from what ive been told and seen on here they are being built by mtd

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
I don't know how big your property is but....Maybe a Yanmar 4WD & FEL with a finish mower?

My thinking is, and has always been, there is a time when a man and his projects, property size and saving his back muscles needs to upgrade to a small diesel SCUT.

I love older GT's and their attachments - and what guys here at MTF have done with them. I'm impressed with a few of the new ones too! Having both and knowing that my property and requirements are just too hard on small (good) gasoline powered machinery, hands down, my small diesel tractor(s) will take the abuse.

A few years back, I was ready to go into debt and purchase a tractor. I looked at them all...and accidently fell into a Yanmar 4WD with a loader for $5500 with 960 hours. I thought what the heck, bought it and never regretted it since day one. In fact, I was so impressed that I bought aother...then another, then 6 more etc, etc....:D.

Mark

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
Have HER cut the grass.............and fix the tractor ;)
I tell my wife all the time that I will gladly let her cut the grass AND fix the tractor when it breaks and it's 100 degrees outside and I'll stay inside in the cool air and do the laundry, etc.

Funny, she never takes me up on it. :greendr:

Our Cub 2554 is really nice and isn't that expensive. They were on special back a few weeks ago for like $3,500. That's a lot but seeing as though it is shaft-driven, that's not bad. I agree with others though, can't you let some of that 'go to field'?

·
Super Duper Member
1,472 Posts
So,

The Cub GT1554 snapped another drive belt on fathers day. The mower deck has a crack in it, the e brake stopping working two weeks ago. I'm so fed up with this machine. Warrenty repair place can't take it till next week so my yard will be a mess on the kids birthday this weekend. :banghead3

Told the wife we need a new tractor, she went on and on about how were not buying something high end which was the fight the first time, so we bought the mtd pos now look where I am. Stoppin off at the liqour store today to drown my woes. :crybaby:

Massey Ferguson has 0% financing but do I want a 250 dollar tractor payment when both my cars are the verge?

I'm the only male in the house, a fel sure would help me out with all the work around the property but 15k for a tractor....gawd..

I definately need 4wd to climb the hills and no belt drives. Would a 4wd atv and a swisher tow behind do the trick?

Has anyone used a swisher deck and a atv before?

What the heck should I purchase, I want quality, but I don't want to just pay for a name. I want a reliable machine that will do the work and not kill my budget in the process? Is that even possible?
Sounds like you need a financial tune-up. Forget the booze, and get yourself into Dave Ramsey's, "Financial Peace University." I highly recommend his books, and audio CD's. It will change your life for the better. I no longer have a car note, which allows me to do other things with my money.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIgLyl66QxQ&feature=related

1 - 9 of 9 Posts