My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after talking up my mower and being in love with it..i was using it for the second time, and not even done with my yard when it started to chug really bad...then smoke rolled out from the deck and it made a hideous sound...the pulley actually broke off the deck..im not to happy at all..when i pulled it into the garage..i found something else that got me smoking even more...there is a sensor/plug? right above the oil filter..well its leaking oil its leaking down the oil filter, onto the radiator hose and, down the frame..i called the dealership..they are gonnna pick it up monday morning...i have no warranty, they tell me they are gonna take care of me and not to worry..but i do worry, i havent even put 3 hours on the stupid thing and all of this happens? whats a guy to do?

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Let us know how you make out and things go with the dealership. slkpk

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems.

This was purchased from a dealer, and they didn't throw in a warranty? I think ours offers a 90 day on some of the used equipment.

Hopefully, as they promise, they will take care of you.

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
things like that always make for a bad day on the tractor

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what concerns me now is, did i just inherit someone elses problem?..I will keep you all posted..like i said i love this mower and it looks great for being 9 years old..but now i am starting to question it..oh well gotta keep ur chin up and hope for the best

·
Registered
203 Posts
Did the idler seize up or did the nut that holds it on just come loose? The seeping oil sending unit is common.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did the idler seize up or did the nut that holds it on just come loose? The seeping oil sending unit is common.

It did not seize up as far as i know because it was mowing great them just like that it died..i did find a washer on the deck but no nut so who knows were it shot off too

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
Seems that I always have something die right away when I buy something used. The power steering cylinder died in my 318 after only a few hours. Swapped it out and I am good to go now. Good times are ahead of you after this one problem.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,231 Posts
3 hours is just about the limit on the new stuff these days...
I would say you got your moneys worth...

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Kool,

Stay cool :D! Chances are, that even a good looking nine year old mower is just that…9 years old. And it‘s time for stuff to run out of tolerances, bend or brake. Once these issues are addressed, you‘ll probably get another trouble free decade out of the ol girl.

I’m thinking even though you bought from a dealer, you’ve saved thousands by not buying brand new, and stuff happens to newer mowers as well.

Mark

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Kool,

Stay cool :D! Chances are, that even a good looking nine year old mower is just that…9 years old. And it‘s time for stuff to run out of tolerances, bend or brake. Once these issues are addressed, you‘ll probably get another trouble free decade out of the ol girl.

I’m thinking even though you bought from a dealer, you’ve saved thousands by not buying brand new, and stuff happens to newer mowers as well.

Mark
:ditto::goodl:

·
Registered
614 Posts
I hope the dealer will "make good" your problems. Bad luck to have things break and leak, so soon after a purchase. I can understand your worrying about future problems, but the idler and pressure switch are "easy" repairs for a 9 year old machine. Things like that, and even worse problems, can happen to a newer machine too...just had a freind who had the engine go bad on his JD zero turn. He made it under warranty by one week!!!

Good luck to you

·
Super Moderator
29,566 Posts
you have some MINOR repairs. this is to be expected with any machine. just be glad the dealer is willing to take care of it! but you should be prepared to fix stuff like that yourself in the future, it will save you tons of money. let the dealer do the major work, but buy your parts from him often enough to keep a good relationship.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
This does not seem to be a big problem. After nine years all the nuts and bolts should have been checked. It seems that the nut just came off the bolt. I check everything on mine at least once a year. The dealer probably did not check it before he sold it. I am pretty sure he will make it right. Most dealers are honest and want your repeat business. I have seen new mowers do basically the same thing due to not being checked prior to the sale.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Thats not much of an oil leak. If you want to see an oil leak come over and look at my 05 suburban. Both look like easy fixes.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
You could have the same thing happen on a brand new machine.. See my signature? The Cub Cadet I had, the WHEELS FELL OFF before it reached 10 hours and that machine cost more than most midsized sedans.... Apparently the manufacturer didn't tighten them enough and they were not paint indexed (like my 3320 was). So I guess my point is, that even new can have issues, some, even major...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thank you all for understanding my frustration, and giving the constructive criticism, its much appreciated. I know on a 9 year old machine that things do happen..but with only 780 hours..u can always assume its been taken care of and you know what that means lol..My dealer is amazing with there customer service, and with my father in law buying all his new and used farm equipment from them that always helps..the more i look into it, things happen, the sensor that i complained about is not as big as i made it to be....and then talking to a friend, he had the same issue with his..the nut just worked its way loose over time..im glad no one was around, i found the aluminum plate that sits on the pulley about 50 feet from were i was mowing..that could have been bad..like i said thank you and i will keep you all informed..this is such a great and caring site

1 - 20 of 22 Posts