My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,
as the title says im a newbe, and not the best with a computer so please for give me if i misspell alot of words. i'm curretnly trying to resurrect an old jacobsen gt10 that isn't much of a jacobsen any more (hasn't been since my father redid it). has independent rear brakes, a kohler twin 17, hydralic 3point hitch and mower lift, also has a snow blower, the main resson i want it. i do have one question, what is the best why to quiet an engine, is a good muffler the only anser, some where along the line ive heard a good air intake will silence alot or is that just hersay. personally i think its fine but i live in town and houses are close and wife says it maybe too loud. thanks for any input.

·
Super Moderator
17,829 Posts
I just want to Welcome you to the forum :MTF_wel:

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Welcome to the forum.I think a good muffler is your best bet.

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,394 Posts
Hey wouldy , welcome to MTF. I would like to see pics of your Jacobson some time .
I guess ,for sillyness, I would strap a BIG boom-box radio on my tractor and and play some "hello Im Johnny Cash":hide:

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
hello all,
as the title says im a newbe, and not the best with a computer so please for give me if i misspell alot of words. i'm curretnly trying to resurrect an old jacobsen gt10 that isn't much of a jacobsen any more (hasn't been since my father redid it). has independent rear brakes, a kohler twin 17, hydralic 3point hitch and mower lift, also has a snow blower, the main resson i want it. i do have one question, what is the best why to quiet an engine, is a good muffler the only anser, some where along the line ive heard a good air intake will silence alot or is that just hersay. personally i think its fine but i live in town and houses are close and wife says it maybe too loud. thanks for any input.
:MTF_wel2:

One thing for sure, your spelling sucks pretty bad but don't worry about it because you'll fit right in with several of the long-time members here who couldn't win a spelling bee if their life depended upon it. :hide: :ROF

A large muffler will help quiet that engine down especially if both cylinders are fed into it. The air intake suggestion is just an urban myth. While the muffler will take care of the loudest issue, you will never get that engine to run as quiet as a Honda, Yamaha or Kawasaki. Their machine tolerances are much tighter and as such, do not emit all the clanking and banging that American-made motors do.

Tractor Supply or your local NAPA auto parts dealer have mufflers that can be adapted to work, especially if you have a MIG welder and other tools.

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
wouldy

:MTF_wel2: We are glad you found us on the net. There are many friendly and knowledgeable folks here at MTF, so enjoy all the different forums. Click on ”Active Topics” near the top left of the page for all the latest activity. You can also register with other members from your state by clicking here:

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Hi wouldy! glad you found us.
Could always run a straight pipe and wake up the neighbors at a reasonable time, say 5:30am. Saves batteries in the alarm clock.
Seriously now, a muffler would work. But I'm concerned that not all mufflers are created equal. That is, they all create a different amount of back pressure towards the engine head. If ytou got a muffler that isn't made for your specific engine, could it not do more harm to the engine than good for the noise?
Just wondering.

Spelling, whatz that? Try typing with an 'imbalance' problem in the inner ear.

·
ROJ
2,191 Posts
:MTF_wel2:

One thing for sure, your spelling sucks pretty bad but don't worry about it because you'll fit right in with several of the long-time members here who couldn't win a spelling bee if their life depended upon it. :hide: :ROF
CGT.....i resemble that remark :fing20: as for the muffler once you have it on it might not hurt to point the pipe down.

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
Cas for the muffler once you have it on it might not hurt to point the pipe down.
If you do, just be careful not to park running in one spot on the grass too long.. read in another thread somewhere of someone with a lot of dead spots mysteriously showing up in their lawn. It was from a downward-pointing exhaust that was killing the grass when they paused the tractor too long in one spot.

Might have been this thread.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
wouldy

Just wanted to take the time to say we are glad to have aboard and :Welcome1:

Sorry I can't be of much assistance but be sure to post some pics when you get your project completed because :wwp: always... :fing32:

·
Registered
745 Posts
I would say the best solution is to move into the country where you can make lots of noise and use your tractor to its fullest potential.

Welcome to the forum. :trink39:

As for those who are criticizing your spelling:

"I never had any large respect for good spelling. That is my feeling yet. Before the spelling-book came with its arbitrary forms, men unconsciously revealed shades of their characters and also added enlightening shades of expression to what they wrote by their spelling, and so it is possible that the spelling-book has been a doubtful benevolence to us."
- Mark Twain's Autobiography

Also, read some of the original Lewis and Clark Journals - they had about 16 different spellings for "mosquitos". It's entertaining to say the least.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I definetly agree with just using a good muffler maybe try one off a newer mower that has the quiet mufflers on them if you can make it fit which shouldnt be hard if you are even remotely marginal at fabrication . just make sure its for another engine similar to yours as in dont try to use a muffler from a single cyl. engine on a twin then you will run into backpressure issues ontop of more fabricating .

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,772 Posts
:MTF_wel: wouldy ! sounds like you're getting some input here, good luck, and enjoy the forums :).

·
The Link King
1,056 Posts
youd be surpised how much a car muffler will quiet things down.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Dont your neighbors mow their lawn? and do you complain? anyways...like john said a car muffler will do wonders.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts