My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there had starting problems with the c 60 engine? I started having difficulties in getting it to run. After you would get it running and warmed up it would act weak in power. Replaced plugs ,plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, points, condensor,put in carb kit and intake manifold gasket for carb.Adjusted carb setting and adjusted timing after running by ear. I noticed a little blow by coming out of tube when running. If there is a small leak in head gasket or rings wore a bit, could this make it hard to start? ( it is a updraft system? )Also curios in wondering if the coil would be weak enough to make it hard starting? It appears To be original coil .Tractor is a 1977 model. I'm trying to get this figured out and have been reading owners manual . (trouble shooting section ) It does'nt use a pint of oil all season and has'nt had anything done to engine yet. Haven't checked strainer on carb or float level yet. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Dino

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
I would check the fuel flow...make sure is a nice steady stream...

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Time for a valve job and a set of rings...
I wouldn't make that call just yet...those old Cubs run for a good long time! Mine has never been overhauled...running since 57. Make sure you get a coil with an internal resister or it will burn up. Rebuild the carb and see where you stand.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks for your help,I am going to try a new coil and check out the carb for a couple of things. As for the nut between the steering wheel and the seat,I'm going to have to show the the younger nut the shifting pattern on his John Deere. Or Get a belarus, the old ones had double seat for a driver and a operator.Gotcha! Dino Also going to take compression check as soon a the weather warms up . Thanks again

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a follow up on my 184,Took the carb all apart and checked all the inside and found everything clean and veins all clean and not plugged. Float level was fine and I had the carb rebuilt last year.So that seemed ok, then we ran a compression check on all cylinders. 120,100,100,95. Mechanic said that should be in the range . We ordered a new valve grind gasket set,includes head gasket,valve inspection plate gasket, intake manifold gasket, carb gasket and water intake gasket. Going to check valves next, timing and also bought a new coil to replace the old one. I can't think of anything else,but if anyone has any other suggestions out there,send them to me please. Dino

·
Registered
20 Posts
dino, please keep us posted on what you find. A fellow down the road from me has one of these for sell and I have been thinking about stopping buy and checking it out. Would like as much info as possible about it before I go and look though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JC,The mechanic is going to come and work on it as soon as we can get it out of storage building.I live in the U.P. of Upper Michigan and spring hasn't quite arrived yet. He tells me that the engine is a simple engine to work on so I'm hoping that it is something I overlooked .I got my parts from tmtractorparts the other day,they were so much cheaper than the quote from local International dealer. I am also looking for a different source for buying blades for the mower deck. The mower is a 3160A.The local dealer wanted $33.00 a piece It takes 3 and I thought that was high? If anybody has any suggestions I would appreciate the info. Thanks Dino

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 154. My charging system does not work and when the battery gets low on charge it acts the same way-low power and a bit of misfire. Since I put a trickle charger on it between mowings it runs like heck and no misfire. My guess is your coil is weak.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,192 Posts
Any updates on the 184?

·
6,348 Posts
Any updates on the 184?
dino is my older brother and last I knew he got it running briefly only to have it quit running. Also a issue with belts wearing out quickly.

He usually checks in here on the weekends, and I usually call him friday night or sat. morning......I'll be sure to tell him we need a update.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a update on my 184. I took the tractor back to my friend and retired mechanic and so far he has found the problem with the starting. He has found that the engine is only getting 8 volts to the coil. So he is changing it so that it gets the whole 12 volts. I guess someone else has monkied with that and apparently didn't know what they were doing. As far as the PTO, he took it apart and found that the new bearing that was pressed in had gotten hot and was partially seized up. He is going to a bearing store and see if the original bearing can be matched up with a heavy duty replacement.Thats all the news I have so far, so I'm hoping that it will be fixed soon. Dino

·
6,348 Posts
Brotherly Love :trink39:
Yup....he's my hero :trink39:

Glad you are finding a cure for that sick 184 dino, I got a JD 112 that runs great I can loan you for a bit. :greendr: :ROF

You might want to find a blade for that 184, you could push a lot of snow this winter and it would save the tender ribs from all that shoveling.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi, Just a follow up on my 184 tractor.The electrical system was only putting out 8 volts to the coil. Some one put a external resistor and wired it from the cigarette lighter to the coil.Also the power takeoff clutch had been worked on and wasn't correctly put together.These problems have now been corrected by a friend of mine who was a mechanic and it starts and mows the yard just fine.I guess the lesson to be learn't from this ordeal is when you don't know who has worked on these before you, You don't have a clue what your trying to fix.Thank god I was able to find someone who could correct the problem. Take care, Dino

1 - 18 of 18 Posts