My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was buying a pig feeder today from a old timer and he gave me a old International Harvester TD 14A Dozer for scrap! I got to looking at the machine and it is in really good shape.. He says the pony motor was rebuilt and when it was installed some how they sized the 461 diesel. I don't know how I'm going to move it, but I want it!! I do have pic but Photo bucket is acting up, I will post them soon.

CutRite.

·
Registered
116 Posts
looking foward to the pics, you thinking about fixing it up?

·
Registered
74 Posts
What do you plan to do with it?

I believe most TD14s weigh somewhere north of 14,000 lbs, which means at minimum you'll need a 350/3500 class truck and a 20,000 lb trailer to move it; possibly a semi if it's closer to the 18-20,000 lbs some of them weigh all decked out with a blade, winch, etc. Then there's the issue of how to load and unload it from the trailer. Easiest thing would be to hire someone with a Landoll type flatbed semi with a winch. That could easily run $700-1,000.00 though. The whole machine, at .10/ lb would be worth anywhere from $1,400-2,000.00 as scrap.

Are you considering trying to fix it up? If so, for what purpose? Unless you have the time, money, and just want the mechanical experience, I wouldn't bother. Old tracked equipment can be a losing proposition really fast. We know the diesel engine has major problems, or the previous owner would've had it fixed after spending a bunch of money on the pony engine. After sitting all these years, the pony engine may very well be seized. Not to mention the condition of the tracks and undercarraige. It's big, heavy, and can be hard to work on.

I don't mean to discourage you from working on it, but understand what you're getting into. Parts are heavy, and require a shop and big tools to handle them. Moving the thing will be a chore too, even after it runs. That rig is right on the borderline of needing a medium duty/ small semi to haul around. It may be over that line, depending on how it's equipped.

In any case, we want pictures! :trink39:

·
Registered
76 Posts
The engines often had head-cracking issues.
You'll get a lot of info from Redpower Forums...the Construction section.

Jim

·
Registered
76 Posts
The engines often had head-cracking issues.
You'll get a lot of info from Redpower Forums...the Construction section.

Jim

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Cutrite,you ever get some pictures? Never seen a TD14a pony motor, I'd sure like to!
Me too, the TD 14 we had was direct electric start. Don't recall ever seeing one with a pony.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts