My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Well I got to meet up with Riley (LawnToro) today and he brought with him his IH Lawnboy model 332, 21" push mower. When he received the mower the deck had a huge hole blown in the side so I gave him a 7260G deck to use while he searched for the correct deck for a restore. Well I recently got three mowers from a guy just south of here who needed the room and the self propelled one I got running and gave it to Riley. The other two, 7221 and 7259 are now running and ready for new homes however the 7259 had the correct style deck but wrong color so since I was going to pass it along as a worker machine I offered the deck to Riley for his IH as he will repaint it anyway. He gave me back the 7260G deck which now supports the 7259 beige shroud D-407 engine. Anyway, along with the mowers came a few extras including a leaf shredder screen from the late 50's /early 60's which has found a new home already. Also received a magnesium chute and magnesium side discharge plate. So my question for the Lawnboy IH experts is this. Did the IH Lawnboys ever use a magnesium chute and magnesium side discharge plate? Riley said he would look into it but I thought that I would check to see if anyone knows for sure. The only pictures I could find showed yellow plastic side discharge plates. If they are not appropriate for the IH I may see if someone on the forum could use them before listing them on eBay. Thanks for you help. Bill

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,896 Posts
Good question. Well I’m not an expert by any means, but I’ll weigh in on this one. I don’t think any of the IH Lawnboys would of originally came with mag chutes, or discharge covers because the those mag components went away in 1969, a few years before the IH Lawnboys. I always wondered why you see the 1966 through 68 shrouds on the IH D-400s when they were sold in the early 70s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight. Perhaps Lawnboy had a bunch of shrouds left over from production of the 1966 to 1968 models and decided to repurpose them on the IH Lawnboys. Who knows? Bill

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,896 Posts
Leftover shrouds from the 60’s was what I was thinking to.

I’m trying to remember if I’ve seen any D-400 IH mowers with the mag air filter housings, and I don’t recall any of those either. Anyway, those particular IH mowers are my favorite, the decals and color scheme, along with the late 60’s teardrop shroud just can’t be beat in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I agree with LB77
Any IH mowers I’ve seen have had the plastic chute and cover. Mine came with the plastic cover and I’ve seen some chutes out there for the IH and they’ve all been plastic as well. Considering mine is the early version of the lawnboy IH and it was plastic I can only assume that the later ones were plastic as well

·
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input Geoff! First, WOW!! Beautiful IH you have there. Definitely looks like the IH models all had plastic chutes and side discharge plates.
So the two mowers I received, the 7259 and the 7221 are going up for sale soon. I have about $65.00 wrapped up in both of them. I would like to sell the magnesium chute and magnesium cover plate to reduce that cost. Any ideas as to the value? Thanks, Bill

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Hey Bill
I suspect you should be able to get some good coin for both items. Especially the chute if you post them both on eBay

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,896 Posts
Yeah I’m with Reedz, good coin for sure, especially the chute, as long as both are in good shape with no chunks missing. I’d list the chute for 60 bucks and the discharge plate for 30.

·
Lawn Boy
1,543 Posts
Times like this I miss Ron Chapin. That guy could tell you what size washers they MIGHT have used if the price of tea in China didn't fluctuate. He knew all the "when they did what" with all these old mowers.

That said, I have rarely seen a round-top IH mower with a chute. They all seemed to have the side discharge plate. However, they were yellow plastic plates, which leads me to believe that the chute should be plastic as well.

I say this: If the chute and plate are in rough shape and need painting, make them Cub Cadet Yellow and call it a done deal. However if they look good as they are, someone might be looking for some original tin.

·
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! Both are in good shape but the side discharge plate which I think was originally beige has been painted green and the beige chute, although solid, is missing paint. Both would be good candidates for a restore. I will put them up on eBay and see what happens. Bill
If someone on the forum has as interest in both, feel free to make me an offer via PM. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Yeah I’m with Reedz, good coin for sure, especially the chute, as long as both are in good shape with no chunks missing. I’d list the chute for 60 bucks and the discharge plate for 30.

Agreed.
You should easily get that price

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,679 Posts
Very interesting. I had a couple of those mag deck plates but they seemed to fit poorly.
Say what happened to those snazzy 10 year member badges they handed out a few years ago?

·
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I have had the magnesium chute and magnesium side discharge plate up on eBay for a while now. No bids and no watchers. Kind of surprising. I figured there had to be someone out there that would like to have these for a restore. I will offer them up once again here on the forum in case someone missed them the first time around. Send me a PM if you have an interest. Bill

·
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Magnesium chute and plate are now sold. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Great to hear Bill!
From the forum here or EBay?

·
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No one on the forum expressed any interest so eBay it was. Bill

·
Premium Member