My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
So little time.....
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's a question:

The engines used in the IH Cubs, for example, the K241A in my 108 I know have the "special" oil pan, as designated by the "A" in the model number. However, is there anything else special about the K241's used in the Cub Cadets (special crank, block, etc..)? I only ask because I have a weird thing where if I have a tractor, I HAVE to have a spare engine for it "just in case". Just nice to know if I have to get work done on the engine that's already in the tractor, I have another one standing by to use in the interim. I've been looking around for a spare (new shortblock or new rebuild), but I'm scared to drop the cash for something that I can't just drop in and go. There's a bunch of rebuilt K241's on eBay; some even say they're for IH Cubs, but I don't know what questions to ask to make sure the sellers know what they're talking about. Also, do our oil pans bolt up to any K241 or is the bottom of the block different for the special pan?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Basically there are two different blocks for a K-241/301/321 a wide base and a narrow base (you need a narrow base). Wide base engines normally have an oil pan with "flanges" that stick out that have holes, all the way through, for nut and bolt mounting. IH Cub Cadet engines have narrow base engines with oil pans that have threaded holes in the bottom that only use bolts to mount the engine. Wide base engines also have non-threaded holes in the engine block used to mount the oil pan, the threaded holes are in the pan instead of the block. Narrow base engines have the threaded holes in the bottom of the block and non threaded holes in the pan. Wide base engine=bolts go down through the block and into the pan. Narrow base engine=bolts go through the pan and into the bottom of the block. Wide base engine=nuts and bolts to mount the engine. Narrow base engine=threaded bolt holes in the bottom of the pan to mount the engine. Those are the easiest way for me to tell the difference.

Many people don't know that there is a wide or narrow base engine and therefore won't have any idea what they have. Measurements in this case are your best friend.

You will most likely find your biggest difference between engines in the crank shaft, a Cub Cadet crank is (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) 1" X 3" (on the PTO end) where many other brand tractors use a different size crank.

Up through the Quiet Line series tractors, Cub Cadet only used the wide base engines in the 7 HP tractors, the 7 HP engine is a completely different animal and you will be able to tell the difference from a picture.

BTW the oil pans for a K-241/301/321 are all the same with the exception of a deep or shallow sump (one will set flat on the floor (except for the drain plug) and the other has a "lump" in the bottom of the pan).

NOW, all of that should be about as clear as mud for you!

·
So little time.....
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 - 4 of 4 Posts