My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I LOVE Garden Tractors!!!
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in another post that the CC 122 was one of the least desirable of the IH stuff. How come? What makes it least desirable? I just picked up a CC 105, is that more desirable? I know the original model and the late 782/982's are really popular but weren't they all really stout machines in the IH era? I know the wide frames are preffered over narrows, but how about gears vs hydros? Are the hydros nice tough machines?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Seems like I read that somewhere too, I thought it was nonsense so I didn't think about it any more.

Many of the people I deal with think the 71/102/122 series are some of the most desirable of the Cub Cadet line, though a lot of people don't care for the 123. I think it's just a matter of taste.

As far as the Gear Drive vs. Hydro debate goes, that one will go on forever...

Personally, I really like my hydros for some jobs and my gear drives for others.
IMHO hydros are the best for moving snow and some other front blade work, the gear drives I like best for most other ground engaging work, I still haven't made up my mind which I like best for cutting grass.

I've been told that the hydros are nearly indestructible, I know I've run mine through the wringer AND dragged them over the coals and they are still holding up well. About the only way to tear one up is to tow it without releasing the hydro relief valves. Clean out the case, change the oil and filter and clean off the outside of the case once in awhile and it should give you years of uninterrupted service. If you are looking for a weak spot in the hydro tractors then that would be the trunion, it will wear over time and you will experience jerky starts and stops and it won't stay at a constant speed, I can't say that it is an easy fix but it is repairable and once finished it will feel like a new tractor.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
I read that too, and I have no explanation. Maybe they had too much HP over the 102's? They are all great tractors. I have a 122 124 and a 125. Aside from hood & grille looks there isn't much difference except hydro vs. 3 speed and if you don't likie the one the transmissions will swap.

I also have a few extra 12hps laying around. seems they lasted longer than their host tractors, though that was probably because the previous owners didn't want to fix some easily repairable problem. Nothing seems to really break for the most part..really overbuilt.

·
Super Moderator
32,064 Posts
OK, so maybe its becouse I am not a Cub guy... But it seems to me the old first ones, and the 70/100's are the most collectable. I can see why.. I kinda like them my self. Nice tough, and simple

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My favorites are the 70/100's, but I like the Originals, too. Here in FL, O's seem to command the biggest prices.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a 123,the Hydro is solid, when I was looking for CC, would of bought a hydro or standard, just wanted a yellow machine.The 123 is first Hydro they made.Narrow frame.Phil.:trink39:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts