My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 724 Posts

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the "plan". Re-power a model 72 with a k241. Add the creeper drive, re-build the drive clutch, the steering gear, engine pto. I'am letting a pro do this work for me. :fing32: Untill then, and all winter long I'll be sanding and painting parts here and there. The 72 has been relocated from the cub shop to the house:hide:. This tractor will sport the narrow-type tires all around, and will be set up to run my IH#1 tiller with both extensions. I'am re painting the frame and trans. The steering tower and round fenders will only need a paint chip filled in here or there. The frame is A1!, So my first question is: Do I add weld up front to make the frame stronger to handel the k241? I'am thinking I should:snowing:, but if you know or have any experience here please chime in. I dont want to be welding after I bust out a nice paint job. So here goes, lets see what I get done today,..shall we!:hatsoff:

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Cheers! Alright man, glad you're gettin on with the project!!! I'm pumped to see how this goes for ya.

I'd definitely gusset that area where the frames crack, you're gonna puttin in a heavier motor that has more torque - and it would be a shame to have to tear into it after a restore - even if it is years from now.

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think your right Justin. I'am going to ask Merk if there were cracks in his 100. Nice sunny morning here at MTF between coats of paint! I'am feeling "Zapped" today already. Think I'am abit on the sick side of a cold. Any ways, The drive hub and screen combo are comming up next from the k241. :thanku:

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Sure it's not paint fumes? :)

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The paints I will be using from here on out are: part# 759-3259 Cub Cadet White, part# 759-3258 Cub Cadet Yellow, Napa part# CS279 3.5 Enamel Gray Sealer, and Napa part# 6383 Kleanz-Eazy. I may use an oil-base red primer in spray can as needed.:fing32:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Nice choices. I personally like the Cub Cadet yellow better than Federal Yellow. It has little more orange tint to it.

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
K241 drive hub and screen completed! These parts cleaned up well and painted great! :fing32: Next part up will be the clutch screen-cover!:thanku: cyclops 338.jpg

cyclops 339.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Oh man, the first taste of eye-candy. This is gonna be awesome!

·
Registered
590 Posts
by U.S.A Tractor Joe
I'am going to ask Merk if there were cracks in his 100.
The only cracks I've found in my 70/100 frames were where the grill mounts to the frame. The 70 have cracks in the front area and the 100 didn't. Here are a few pictures from the 2 spare frames I have:

It is an easy fix if you have access to a welder.

One frame will be in a puller. The other frame??????????

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh man, the first taste of eye-candy. This is gonna be awesome!
Thanks jsoluna! I have a feeling this is going to be realy fun, and turn out nice!:fing32:

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only cracks I've found in my 70/100 frames were where the grill mounts to the frame. The 70 have cracks in the front area and the 100 didn't. Here are a few pictures from the 2 spare frames I have:

It is an easy fix if you have access to a welder.

One frame will be in a puller. The other frame??????????
Thank you Merk. My 100 frame was bad compared to yours. Have an idea I could weld a few places/tacs to make a little stronger. My 72 frame is pretty nice up front.

Attachments

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A little IH Cub Cadet 72 back ground::fing32: I gave up on this tractor after I had painted most of it back in 1998? Before I had got the tractor, it had been sitting in a garage about 2-3 years. Has been undercover since paint. Long before I had a computer and internet I had started this project. Well, these tractors grew on me and is now my #1 hobbie. I have learned alot since, so a re-do is in order. Thanks, U.S.A Tractor Joe

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 72 hood is cracked along the cross brace to hood. Cleaned up the drive clutch cover and painted,.......

Attachments

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
How come your clutch cover has holes in it? Mine has no holes in it.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Thanks for the background info, I think that is awesome that you're re-doing the initial project. Didn't know you've been into Cubs that long! Good to see you're makin progress.

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How come your clutch cover has holes in it? Mine has no holes in it.
I'll get back with you on this one. I thought the holes were there for a reason and forgot why.

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the background info, I think that is awesome that you're re-doing the initial project. Didn't know you've been into Cubs that long! Good to see you're makin progress.
Thanks jsoluna! I have been around an IH Cub Cadet since I was 8, it was an Original. When I see other folks resto's, I become very competive. But I'll be far from perfect, as those folks I have much respect for! Lets see if I get something done tommrow.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
A little friendly competition is good for ya!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 70/100's had the clutch cover with no holes and they went to the one with holes starting with the 102/122 if I remember right. Somebody probably replaced it at some point.

Randy

1 - 20 of 724 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.