My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 59 240 utility. It has a IH 2001 loader on it. Very hard to steer. I have 2 sets of weights on the rear tires. Since I don't have a fast hitch, I am not able to put extra rear weights out the back which I know might help a lot. Wondering if part of the problem might be some binding in the steering with the loader weight. Any ideas where I should start looking? My initial thoughts are in the spindle area or the steering gear box.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
They're not the easiest steering tractor "without" a loader on the front. I can only imagine it pretty well steers like a log wagon with one on. Everything I do with mine is a rear attachment, and it steers much better with something hanging on the back, nearly as well as power steering.

About the best you can do, is make sure the spindle tubes are greased well, and the gear box has lube in it. There are 2 bushings on the upper steering shaft below the steering wheel that may be worn, but not sure they would cause any binding. I've never lubed the one's on mine, and looking at the exploded view in the IH online parts cataloghttps://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr56560ar736758 , see no means to lube them. From what I have read, they are described as "white" bushings, so I'll assume they are a plastic, or nylon bushing. So maybe some spray silicone might help..?? I may try that myself, LOL...

They did make a power steering unit for them that was optional. Part # 373069R92, but it seems they may be as rare as hens teeth. I googled the part number, and did get a hit at Roberts Farm Eq. in Camden, Ohio, but when I clicked the link, got a 404 file. So went to their site, and did a search with no results. There were also numerous requests for the units also.

There are 29, 240's listed on TractorHouse in salvage yards across the U.S. What the chances of a PS unit still on one, is probably pretty slim.

If you'd be interested in looking for a unit, look in the red, on the left side, 3rd item down,and post a "want to buy" ad there. You'll have to register, and leave some contact info. Describe what you are looking for, and most definitely use the part number above. If anyone has one, you should get a call within 36-48 hours.

I did see some threads on the subject on the Yesterday's Tractor site. One as late as early last Spring/2018. Might so some snooping there. I came across them by a Google search of IH 240 power steering.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I am going to look at the items you mention. That's what I was leaning to also. I do have a power steering unit, not sure it works. Looks like I also need a different priority valve that diverts some of the pump flow to the steering. Next problem will be to fit it as there are a number of steering parts that are different for power steering. Most are not available as far as I can tell. I haven't had much time to dig into trying to get the power steering cobbled in.
I will check with the salvage yards you mention to see what I can find. Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found all of the parts I need including a bushing that goes into the valve mounting block. Installed everything and it works great. Huge difference. Now I can do what I want with the tractor. Hardest part to find (and most expensive) was the priority valve.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
That's great..!! I hope it steers as easy as my 656, I can turn the wheel with 1 finger.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
They're not the easiest steering tractor "without" a loader on the front. I can only imagine it pretty well steers like a log wagon with one on. Everything I do with mine is a rear attachment, and it steers much better with something hanging on the back, nearly as well as power steering.

About the best you can do, is make sure the spindle tubes are greased well, and the gear box has lube in it. There are 2 bushings on the upper steering shaft below the steering wheel that may be worn, but not sure they would cause any binding. I've never lubed the one's on mine, and looking at the exploded view in the IH online parts cataloghttps://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr56560ar736758 , see no means to lube them. From what I have read, they are described as "white" bushings, so I'll assume they are a plastic, or nylon bushing. So maybe some spray silicone might help..?? I may try that myself, LOL...

They did make a power steering unit for them that was optional. Part # 373069R92, but it seems they may be as rare as hens teeth. I googled the part number, and did get a hit at Roberts Farm Eq. in Camden, Ohio, but when I clicked the link, got a 404 file. So went to their site, and did a search with no results. There were also numerous requests for the units also.

There are 29, 240's listed on TractorHouse in salvage yards across the U.S. What the chances of a PS unit still on one, is probably pretty slim.

If you'd be interested in looking for a unit, look in the red, on the left side, 3rd item down,and post a "want to buy" ad there. You'll have to register, and leave some contact info. Describe what you are looking for, and most definitely use the part number above. If anyone has one, you should get a call within 36-48 hours.

I did see some threads on the subject on the Yesterday's Tractor site. One as late as early last Spring/2018. Might so some snooping there. I came across them by a Google search of IH 240 power steering.

Have the PS unit on my 240. Might part out if don't sell whole

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could make good money selling the parts. I paid quite a bit for the power steering parts I needed. Would like to add 3 pt hitch, but the cost and work are more than I want to tackle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts