My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MTD Yard Machine. Model #13AC762F729 with a B/S 13.5 I/C OHV.
Problem is when switched to start the starter does not work at all. I checked for 12v at the ign switch, solenoid, and the connector down by the starter and there is 12v everywhere. But when I turn the ign switch to start position there is no voltage when I check it at the connector by the starter. Which leads me to believe it’s the ign switch. Is there an easy way to check the switch before I replace it? I’m thinking I should put an ohm meter on the bat terminal and start terminal of the switch, turn it and it should read infinity if good. Thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Can you leave the key on and use jumpers to the starter? If it will crank and run that way I would think it to be the switch. HOWEVER.......did you check the safety switches especially the seat? Those are a MAJOR culprit of good old "no crank" syndrome.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I checked for 12v at the ign switch, solenoid, and the connector down by the starter and there is 12v everywhere.

But when I turn the ign switch to start position there is no voltage when I check it at the connector by the starter.
Welcome to the site. You're contradicting yourself here. (First you claim you have voltage at the connector by the starter, then you don't.) Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly.

·
10K and Climbin!
12,590 Posts
Welcome to the site. You're contradicting yourself here. (First you claim you have voltage at the connector by the starter, then you don't.) Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly.
I think he may be seeing the 12V+ at the large battery-to solenooid connection? (Main-line to the solenoid) All the solenoid does is connect two large wires together so main power is transferred to the starter motor to crank the engine. The connection is made when an electronic coil is energized and makes the connection happen. (What happens when the start circuit is sucessfully engaged.)

Rocker- Test for 12V+ on the side or small terminal of the solenoid with the key turned to start. (May be two wires.. One of the two will be hooked to a ground- Verify that it is!) If there is 12V+ to one of these wires when the key is turned to start then the solenoid is toast..

If not, test your Starting circuit beginneing at the Ignition switch's 'S' terminal and follow it wherever it goes. As it is an MTD it may be wired similar to a MTD Cub Cadet where the Ground side is the Safety circuit carrying signal to a relay that enacts the starter relay.. I know, kind of confusing but that's those start systemns work..

I nosed around the web and didn't find any wiring diagrams so I can't post up one for you so maybe someone else may have that information to help you fix your problem?? :dunno:

So BTW----> :Welcome1: Rocker!!:howdy:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pocketraisens, yes safety switches ok. WNYtractortinker, I did not test the solenoid in the manner you stated. I will do that next as it could be that. At this point its either the switch or the solenoid as everything else checks out. Thanks all! I will repost later today with status.....Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, got it to fire. It was the brake safety switch. I was no were near what I thought it was. I just decided to chech the switches one more time just in case. Now I have a different issue and I will post a different thread. Thanks for all the help!!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
:thThumbsU:thThumbsU:thThumbsU

1 - 7 of 7 Posts