My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
You need the switch to go with the type ignition you have, points ignition, SSI ?

Is that 67 the same system you have ?

·
That there's worth fixin'
1,892 Posts
Plus the 67's had no solenoid. Instead they had the heavy terminal ignition switch where all the current went through the switch.
Some tractors with S/G used the solenoid (later ones) and some (earlier) didn't.

Correct me if I'm wrong but just because it has a S/G doesn't mean it takes a particular switch. Tractors with S/G came both ways-- with solenoid and without soleniod.

As far as I know all the 67 10hp were points engines.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Plus the 67's had no solenoid. Instead they had the heavy terminal ignition switch where all the current went through the switch.
Some tractors with S/G used the solenoid (later ones) and some (earlier) didn't.

Correct me if I'm wrong but just because it has a S/G doesn't mean it takes a particular switch.
No your right, the S/G does not call the shots, the engine ignition does. I think that's what you ment ? You can add a solenoid and use a different switch with small wires, Im not sure if they ever came that way, but you could be right. 1970 still had heavy wires, least mine did.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what does that mean. Here is the model number on the engine 143.579072 I believe I have points. Did I get the right switch? I got the one with the heavy lugs on it? Pete

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I am really confused now. Not sure if the one I got was correct or not. I believe it is the switch for the SSI Ignition. Will this work on the points ignition? I looked up tractor model # 917.25470 which is a 70 Custom10xl. It calls for a 7486H which the switch I got replaces. That model tractor had a 10hp SSI Engine with no solenoid. The wiring diagram is how I am going to wire mine. Will this switch work if my engine is a points engine with no starter solenoid? Thanks Pete

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Going by the part numbers, the switches are different between the points and ssI.

Maybe someone else will have some input, I would use the wiring from the tractor the engine came from if it has a different ignition system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts