My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,164 Posts
Hi BILNICKJAKE
..I just had to find a coil for an old Briggs...I was able to get the engine information off of it and called PROPARTSDIRECT....they were really good...gave me the part# without any pressure to buy it from them...and I did find one on Amazon for less than half what they wanted

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi BILNICKJAKE View attachment 2506824 ..I just had to find a coil for an old Briggs...I was able to get the engine information off of it and called PROPARTSDIRECT....they were really good...gave me the part# without any pressure to buy it from them...and I did find one on Amazon for less than half what they wanted
I am still not able to find this part. Is the part number 2506824?

·
Super Moderator
10,164 Posts
Get the information off the engine...it will be model, type and code..it is stamped on the engine

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
I believe some of the Commercial series machines came with ignition modules. That may be what you have there.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
'81 Gravely tractor, 50's 60's 70's 80's 90's Gravely tractors Various Honda Power equipment
327 Posts
That looks like an Onan engine. Good luck finding parts for Onan.
Your best bet is to do away with the points and condenser and go with magneto electronic ignition, and do away with the battery ignition, they were nothing but problems, especially with the points and condenser.
It is very easy to change over points to electronic ignition if it is magneto type ignition, it is a whole different story with the battery powered ignition system to convert that over. You would need the magneto flywheel and ignition coil to start with, then the ignition module wires in easily. You could either do a little bit of re-wiring and change the ignition/key switch over to magneto type or set up a separate kill switch/ground to shut the engine off.
It would probably be very hard to find a solid state/electronic ignition coil for an Onan engine, unlike a Kohler or Briggs motor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The part number is 236826 or 236826S. You're not going to find one new, but there are several used ones available if you're willing to take an expensive gamble.

FORD 140 Jacobsen 1450 Hydro Tractor Kohler K321 14hp Engine Solid State Coil
Power King Economy Tractor Kohler K321 K301 Solid State Electronic Coil 236826-S

EDIT: You'd be better off converting to points & condenser.
Thanks to ALL of you. I was able to fit this part. Its new/old stock. No box or wrapping. Asking price was $99. I offered $70 and got it for $85. Total cost with tax and shipping $101.25. I saw it else where for $145. I should get it Monday or Tuesday, and will update when I install it.

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
Should be a Kohler k241.

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
Sounds right. I think the G24E was a k241, if I recall. So it's a Commercial 12 then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts