My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7260a lawn-boy and I cleaned the carburetor and took off the flywheel and cleaned in there and I need to know if the setting for the coil against the flywheel is a piece of paper or different than that.
This mower was made in Galesburg,Ill. The model no.is 7260a but the serial no. on the plate reads 6094125.I have not seen that serial no. for this model in any list on the lawn-boy sites. It is the original plate and motor. I had two brothers and other relation that retired from there before they moved the plant.I bought this mower off one of my brothers second hand but it ran good when i bought it. Any iformation on settings or what to look for to fix would be appreciatted. I also have a 10301 that i just cleaned the carb on it and it runs good,and a 10518 that i guess needs the engine rebuilt.I took it to a lawn-boy dealer and he said it needed rebuilt. I havent started looking at it yet. Ok enough rambling on .any help would be appreciatted.thanks.

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
.010 for the gap. A match book will work.
Who are your brothers ? Was one of them named Walt ?
I didn't get to retire from there, but was there 17 years.

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
I've also read that a standard-thickness business card works good as a coil gap gauge.

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Yup, a standard biz card is what I've been told too! They are usually, for whatever reason, .010" thick. But I just use a feeler guage... A set of them is only a few bucks at the auto parts store and do come in handy for other things. I like that they are metal and I find that's easier to "stick" between the flywheel and the coil then I tighten it up. I tried a biz card but it's just enough to keep the two from being strongly attracted to each other.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
yep, business card, match book, index card they work great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.010 for the gap. A match book will work.
Who are your brothers ? Was one of them named Walt ?
I didn't get to retire from there, but was there 17 years.
Thats my brother,he and his wife spend winters in florida and come north in the summer.His wife and brother in law worked there too.
Getting back to the mower all the numbers are very legible.I found one chart that said it could be an F series.I contacted lawn boy Memphis and they had no knowledge of this serial no. I am pretty sure Walt didn't change engines. I'll tell Walt that i communticated him you. Any help would be appreciatted.Have a great day.take care.

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
Thats my brother,he and his wife spend winters in florida and come north in the summer.His wife and brother in law worked there too.
Getting back to the mower all the numbers are very legible.I found one chart that said it could be an F series.I contacted lawn boy Memphis and they had no knowledge of this serial no. I am pretty sure Walt didn't change engines. I'll tell Walt that i communticated him you. Any help would be appreciatted.Have a great day.take care.
First off, don't sweat the serial number, I have seen very few on any parts list's that are correct.
I have mowers that don't exist according to them.
Here is your mower:

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=Lawn+Boy&mn=7260a

I'm glad to hear Walt is still around.
I want to say his wife's name is Pat or Patsy ?
I used to see them around town years ago driving a HUGE car.
Her brother's name is Ron Hale ?

I'm reaching way back now, so that may not be right.

Need any help, just ask,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts