My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent almost 2 years going back and forth as to whether I need one, how much I want to spend, electric vs. gas, etc. Entirely too much time w/ this on and off evaluation.

My needs made the choice all the worse. I'm a homeowner who appreciates good tools. I don't mind paying a little more for quality if it will last me a whole lot longer.

So, for my needs I wanted a PW that wasn't 'disposable' or a general piece of garbage that would die in two years. I expect to use it 15 hours or so a year - totally NOT hard by any means.

As I researched the big box stores and some of the more well known pressure washer online stores, I found the following to be mostly true. If you wanted 'good stuff' you were going to end up w/ a high PSI you probably didn't need and a bill to go along with it. I'm not talking the Troy Bilt for 399 at the big blue store. That's not 'good stuff'.

Than I found this place: higherpowersupplies.com. Now this is what I'm talking about. They have 'good stuff' at reasonable pricing for what you're getting. The lowest level 'Homeowner' PW on this site has quality stuff at a reasonable PSI and decent flow. Price comparable to the big box stores. But its good stuff. Of course, you can than go up the model line much like you can at a Deere dealer or Simplicity dealer.

If you're looking for a good PW, give these guys a look. If you know what the differance is between a big box store purchased PW with a vertical mount engine and a pump that has no brass on it vs. something substantial, you'll like this site.

Jopopsy

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Thanks for the link. Even their lower priced units seem to have decent engines and pumps. If I ever have to replace mine, I will take a look at them.:thanku:

But, since I already have a good one, I doubt that will be anytime soon. Northstar, Honda industrial motor, Cat pump, never let me down in 12+ years of use. :thThumbsU

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,591 Posts
They look like really good units on that site. Thanks.

For an "occasional" user like myself (less than 20 hrs. per yr.), it would be tough to beat the value of the cheapie Karcher 1750psi electric from Lowes.
It works very good, no problems at all over the last 4 years, and if it does crap out to an unfixable state, it won't break the bank.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
They look like really good units on that site. Thanks.

For an "occasional" user like myself (less than 20 hrs. per yr.), it would be tough to beat the value of the cheapie Karcher 1750psi electric from Lowes.
It works very good, no problems at all over the last 4 years, and if it does crap out to an unfixable state, it won't break the bank.
:ditto: They look like very good pumps, but no way can I afford a couple of thousand or so for a washer I won't use very often.:fing32:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went with 2500 model w/ the AR pump. Its supposed to go for up to 300 hours so for me that is plenty fine for what I will be doing with it.

Item came very nicely packed in a sturdy shippin crate/box. Exactly as described.

Got up on the roof this weekend and gave it a good workout. I'm a very happy camper.

BTW, the folks over at this store actually advised me against going w/ the CAT pump on the homeowner model - they said CAT isn't what they used to be and the AR pump would be more than adequate for a homeowner. I was suprised to hear them say that (since I was willing to pay more to get the CAT pump), but I respected them giving me their opinion vs. what would make them more money.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
I went with 2500 model w/ the AR pump. Its supposed to go for up to 300 hours so for me that is plenty fine for what I will be doing with it.

Item came very nicely packed in a sturdy shippin crate/box. Exactly as described.

Got up on the roof this weekend and gave it a good workout. I'm a very happy camper.

BTW, the folks over at this store actually advised me against going w/ the CAT pump on the homeowner model - they said CAT isn't what they used to be and the AR pump would be more than adequate for a homeowner. I was suprised to hear them say that (since I was willing to pay more to get the CAT pump), but I respected them giving me their opinion vs. what would make them more money.
Jopopsy,

Glad you are happy with it- :fing32:Looks like a nice unit. Didn't know that about the more recent CAT pumps, will take that into advisement if mine ever fails.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:ditto: They look like very good pumps, but no way can I afford a couple of thousand or so for a washer I won't use very often.:fing32:
They start at $430 ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts