My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One time when I was 17 and worked on my uncle's farm, I ran his Farmall diesel tractor out of fuel. He got mad because it caused him a lot of work. He had to bleed air out of things to get it running again.

I don't plan on running my 332 dry, but I am wondering, if it should happen, is it a big deal. What kind of problems would it cause?

·
Registered
469 Posts
The older diesels were a real pain if you ran out of fuel....I'm not sure about the 332 but I ran out of fuel about 2 months ago in my Chevy Duramax diesel luckily it has a primer button on top of the engine...I had to push the darn thing about 50 times though while turning a small screw near my fuel pump to release air in the line, when I finally saw fuel come come out below the fuel filter my diesel fired right up.
332 would probably work in the same manner if you ran out of fuel.

I've had several old diesels where I had to remove the fuel filter then fill it with fuel to prime the system.....I had an old John Deere 5010 that was a real pain when it ran out of fuel.

·
Registered
869 Posts
- SNIP -

I don't plan on running my 332 dry, but I am wondering, if it should happen, is it a big deal. What kind of problems would it cause?
First, it gets real quiet.
Second you really want to go to the bathroom
Third you eyeball just how far it is between where you are and where the fuel is and where the tools are because nothing is ever convenient.
Fourth you begin to think about how to get the machine into the shade or heat depending on the season.

Make sure if you have a gauge that it's mostly accurate.
If you doubt the gauge, stick the tank before you start it up.
Fill the tank when ever you stop or when ever you start better yet both.
If there isn't a skid pan under the tank and it's exposed you might want to think about making one. That's usually the only reason you could run out of fuel is by hole-ing the tank.
I ran my 1970 John Deere Series B 500 TLB out of fuel. I will never do that again. :banghead3
It took me most of the afternoon to figure out how to get it right again.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If my International B275 runs out of diesel from someone not checking (ahem, my old man) we usually have to tow-start it to get it going again... can't do that with a hydro tranny tho!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Wouldn't a John Deere manual warn you something about this???

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Many recent Yanmars are self priming.

Even if your Yanmar isn't, it's not a big deal. All you'd have to do is bleed the air first at the primary fuel filter and then at the injector pump. Bleeding involves cracking open a bleed screw, running the fuel pump until the fuel flows out the top clear without bubbles (have a rag handy), and then closing the bleed screw. Work your way downstream. In my experience it would be VERY unusual if you had to bleed past the injector pump (i.e., at the injectors themselves).

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you run the 332 out of fuel you will need to bleed it at least to the fuel filter and injector pump. I don't know if you would actually have to bleed all of the way to the injectors in this case.

You can look at my posts in this thread for directions on how to do it when you change the fuel filter. Only additional step could be to crack each injector until you get clear fuel. I don't know on this part because I have never run mine dry. The newer Yanmars are self priming.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?p=1125467#post1125467

FWIW - FaC

·
Registered
615 Posts
Really a bear on my jd 5010 and 5020 when they have ran out of fuel. Takes some bleeding to get em back going!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not sure about little tractors but on the larger farm tractors and vehicles, DO NOT get your skin close to anyplace where that fuel can hit it under pressure. There's enough pressure there to put it right thru your skin... not healthy!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Note to self: Don't let the F250 run out of fuel.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Wouldn't a John Deere manual warn you something about this???
I would also think there would be a procedure for dealing with this scenario in the O&M manual as well and I do not recall coming across that.

Paul

·
"The Lucky Muscle"
716 Posts
My 332 book shows how to do it. Last resort it says to bleed injectors if the fuel filter and the injection pump have already been bleed but still runs rough.

·
Old equip is awsome.
155 Posts
Ok as I am a diesel mechanic I can tell you that any diesel that you run out of fuel is not hard to get started again IF IF IF IF you do the proper things to restart it. All new diesel pickup and heavy trucks and a lot of off road has eclectic fuel pumps, these will self bleed when ignition is cycled three to four times and they will start. Now a mechanical fuel system will need to be bled out in steps, start in the direction of flow. First put fuel in your tank and open the bleed screw or exit line of the filter housing and let fuel start running out of the bleeder or exit line until no air bubbles are present, second open bleeder screw on injection pump or the fuel exit line on pump and let fuel flow out until no air bubbles are present. With bleeder screws or lines tightened back up give the engine full throttle and crank engine and it should fire up within 30 seconds and when it gets started back the throttle to around a third throttle and let run for a few minutes, if it doesn't fire up then you'll have to open the fuel delivery lines going to the injectors and crank engine with full throttle and lines open until a good amount of fuel is spraying out. ( and when doing this do not get any body part close to fuel spray because most mechanical fuel systems operate on about 4000 psi and that will pierce through your skin with no problem and it most cases you lose your body part injected with fuel, and new common rail diesels operate as high as 29,000 psi and will cut a body part right off in a blink of an eye) when fuel sprays then stop cranking engine and tighten lines at injectors and crank engine at half throttle and when it starts back down to a third throttle and let run, the hardest diesels to bleed out are four cylinder perkins diesels in older Massey ferguson tractors, everything else is not to bad, but these are the steps when bleeding a diesel and you will have a easy time getting your diesel started again.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
That is why i fuel up before the gauge shows empty. i done this before on our farm tractors, and you learn real quick to never do it again. Sometimes its tempting to get that exta trip around the field done, but its not worth it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts