My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 60 Inch HC Deck it does a good job mowing but the Cheap Idler Pulley is junk . It makes a noise all the time it is not greaseable . Anyone ever fine a better replacement for it .

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
I don't know about a replacement but it "sounds" as yours is shot.

Take it off, take it with you when you go to get a replacement, spin it if it will and spin the new one. You should feel and hear a vast difference.

I had a fairly new one go sooner than I would have expected on a NOS Cub Cadet deck that I bought in 2012, I replaced it with a 1988 vintage off the old deck.

Rhyme and Reason doesn't work with bearings!

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
3,506 Posts
Depending on the pulley and how it's assembled, it may be cheaper to grind/cut the rivets holding the pulley together, separate it, buy a new bearing like the old one, then bolt the pulley together (which also makes replacing the bearing later easier). I've got a number of 3" idlers/pulleys that are like this, that use a pressed in bushing to offset them a bit and reduce the I.D., that it takes a little time and a $5 bearing, vs $30+ for even a cheap knockoff pulley/idler, or $50+ for the OEM one.

Even the small 1.25" idler on my Ariens LM21 mowers, $50 from the dealer, or I can buy a $10 1.25" idler, and swap the center bushing from the old idler to the new one myself.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know about a replacement but it "sounds" as yours is shot.

Take it off, take it with you when you go to get a replacement, spin it if it will and spin the new one. You should feel and hear a vast difference.

My Tractor a 2016 X-758 Has 275 Hours I have replaced the Idler Pulley at around 150 hours . The new Pulley lasted less then 15 hours then got loud . I am going to find a Pulley that I can grease . Are all the Idler Pulleys on the John Deere Mowers JUNK .

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
No, JD455 - 60" mower deck idler has bearings secured via horseshoe snap rings, replace the bearings, good to go. 5" pulley, may work for your deck, these are beefy pulleys.

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Belt-Idler-Pulley--M118972_p_6622.html

Order pulley, bearing and snap ring.
Huh, didn't know that.

JD engineering is quite amazing at times.

A tidbit that I have found out about spindle bearings, cross reference to a 6205 bearing, open, sealed one side, sealed both sides. very common at farm stores. Spindle bearings are open on JD455 60" deck.

These are for 60" deck with serial number 106048 and above, splined spindle.

CCMoe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts