My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The limiter on the the idle mixture valve on my craftsman lawnmower is gone. It was like that when it was given to me. My lawnmoer has a Briggs and Stratton 16HP I/C Platinum engine with a nikki carb. Model: 310707-0136-E1
Does anyone know how much turns out it should be if i bottom out the screw?
Is there another way to get it back into specs?

·
Registered
103 Posts
dont know how many turns out it SHOULD be, but you can turn it out about 2 1/2 turns out after you screw it all the way in and it should run. It might not run well, but should be enough for you to be able to tune it into proper working order...

·
Registered
103 Posts
how will i know when it's tuned into proper working order?
Kinda hard for me to explain, Hopefully someone will come around who can explain it better, but its mainly just alot of moving the screw back and forth, untill it runs right. Here is a video that kinda explains it, its a young kid doing it, but he seems pretty knowledgeable...

Hope this helps,
Dylan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzIYY5vOKv4

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
With the engine warmed up, that should be about 5 minutes of running, and the throttle set low/idle, start turning the screw in slowly. The engine should start to speed up (more RPM) and run smoother. Keep turning slowly until the engine starts to slow and to run less smoothly, then stop and start turning out until the engine again runs smoothly and keep turning out until it starts to run poorly again. The right position is in the smooth running range about mid-way between the onset of poor running due to too lean (in too far) and to rich (out too far).:trink40:

·
Registered
103 Posts
With the engine warmed up, that should be about 5 minutes of running, and the throttle set low/idle, start turning the screw in slowly. The engine should start to speed up (more RPM) and run smoother. Keep turning slowly until the engine starts to slow and to run less smoothly, then stop and start turning out until the engine again runs smoothly and keep turning out until it starts to run poorly again. The right position is in the smooth running range about mid-way between the onset of poor running due to too lean (in too far) and to rich (out too far).:trink40:
Thank you, I didnt quite know how to explain it...

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Good call jerry_nj, nicely explained.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts