My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short story, I have an 331416BVE RER that I bought used and have had for a couple years. I replaced the very tired B&S with a similar year Kohler CV16 from a Scotts/John Deere hydro tractor. Before and after the engine swap, I have gone through a couple belts. Mower cuts great with a brand new belt but eventually I can hear the blade slowing and the performance drop. I would like to replace the idler pulleys, belt and whatever else might be causing my issues. On all of the parts diagram they list an early and late model series 16. What is the best way to identify which machine I have?

Attachments

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hello. I have a 331413KVE that requires the 2-2252 belt. After a few cutting seasons the belt will stretch and start to slip some. After I check the belt for burn spots or nicks & cracks and such and find it to be ok I go ahead and readjust the belt tightener spacers located on the rear frame under the seat. You will probably have to buy the Snapper spacers needed or make your own. Since you bought the unit used the extra spacer pack that came with the mower when new are probably long gone. This belt adjustment system is used exclusively on the Square Frame RER's as far as I know. One other note is about the belt alignment. Did you space the drive plate on the replacement Kohler correctly? My 14hp Kohler Command uses an adapter plate to mount the engine to the Snapper frame. This raises the engine around .125" higher than the bottom of the Snapper frame. Raising the drive plate up that .125" "may" put the drive pulley on the drive plate slightly out of alignment. This may cause premature wear on the belt. There is page in one of the manuals that show the proper adjustment. I know that Propwash has shown it on this forum before. I have that page on my computer "somewhere" but I am unable to find it at this time. Perhaps Propwash has it handy and can post it for you on this thread. I have 2 manuals for you. THE 16&19 you may already have. The series 13 has an extensive adjustment section.

HOPE THIS HELPS

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. Currently the mower does not have any frame spacers, but I had one years ago that did and I am familiar with the setup. I don't know if it's rusty, but the last time that I tried to separate the frame halves on this mower they would not budge. This might be another problem in itself because I don't think I am getting good tilting of the halves when I mow. As for mounting of the Kohler CV16, I did not use a mounting plate. Is the mounting plate for changing bolt hole locations or another purpose? I do remember the plate on my last one, but the donor motor came off of another snapper so I had it handy at the time (10+ years ago).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts