My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
tnb54
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all. I just bought a 1920 AGCO Allis 20 HP lawn tractor and having trouble identifying it. I found out that there is a tag on the left front frame, BUT the part with the model # is missing. I would like to get a manual for this machine but I'm told you need the model #. I think it starts with 169. Can anyone help me?

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,582 Posts
tnb54, Welcome to the forum...and congratulations on getting your 1920.

First, you have a real garden tractor and one of the best ever built, in my opinion. I don't know what condition it might be in, but when in good condition, these are great machines. You may know that the 1920 is a re-badged Simplicity Sunstar. They are essentially the same machine so parts and info from Simplicity Mfg. will apply.

To date your machine, the engine might be the most help, if it's original. They came with either a Kohler Magnum or a Kohler Command. Find the engine numbers and they may point to the approximate tractor model number. A picture would also help.

Gerald

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The AGCO should all have Commands in them, unfortunately those stickers on the frame have a tendency to get unreadable over time. You might be able to get close to the year by using the engine serial number.

·
Deceased March 2015
1,312 Posts
My friend has a Agco with a magnum in it so I'm sure they are like the rest of the Sunstar line 87 to 93 were magnums and 94 to 97 were commands.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Your right, for some reason I was thinking it was Deutz through about '93, guess it was changed over in/around 92 to AGCO, honestly can say I've never seen an AGCO branded Sunstar with a Magnum in it though.

·
tnb54
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help in helping me identify my 1920-H. It is a Command and the 1692458 1692460 # where good. I knew it was made by Simplicity so I went to there site and down loaded the manual. It will be a great help.

Another question maybe you can help with. While mowing today I found that it was very hard to start when it is hot. Is that the nature of the Kohler Command engines? Any ideas?

·
tnb54
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gerald, Thanks for the help. Your right this is a real garden tractor, I love it already. Its in great shape with 920 hr. and was well taken care of all but the seat, but they always go bad.

I'm finding it hard to start when it's hot, any ideas?

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,582 Posts
Hard starting when hot is a pretty common complaint, but it can have many different causes. You should look at the service manual and it may give you some ideas on how to narrow it down.
http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/sm_24_690_06.pdf

I would start by looking for the obvious...and would probably manage to clean the carb somewhere along the way. Look for signs of flooding when trying to restart. If pulling the choke does not help, it is not likely to be a fuel supply problem. Commands have two coils (vs. Magnums having one) which, IMO lessens the chance of a spark problem, (but does not eliminate it). If the engine is dirty, it could be getting too hot. Check the plugs for condition and gap. A compression check might tell a story. :hide:

Gerald

·
Registered
492 Posts
New set of plugs with the proper gap may do some good. Also keep the fins and screens around the engine clean. Will keep it running better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts