My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for ideas on what is the easiest and most cost effective way to smooth out a rough lawn. There have been Trucks, Bobcat, Backhoes on the lawn over the years and after getting my new Kubota GR earlier this season and being able to mow much faster, the ruts and bumps are much more apparent.

I have 2+ acres and didn't really want to till and start out fresh. I was thinking of getting a couple of loads of topsoil and spreading them out with a Johnny Bucket (I know this part isn't cost effective) and then drag something over the small piles and hopefully fill in the low spots.

Was looking at something like this
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200418177_200418177

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200418179_200418179

Looking for input.

Thanks

KubotaMc
Doug

·
dysFUNctional
286 Posts
I think you are on the right track. The ruts and low spots need to be filled. As for the Johnny bucket I know they are an expense but it'll be worth it in the other projects you'll eventually use it on. You could probably make those drags. The second one linked could be made with free stuff from Craigs List (a piece of 2x6 and chain link). Lots of Little League fields use those on the infield dirt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, hadn't thought of chain link fence

Kubota MC

Doug

I think you are on the right track. The ruts and low spots need to be filled. As for the Johnny bucket I know they are an expense but it'll be worth it in the other projects you'll eventually use it on. You could probably make those drags. The second one linked could be made with free stuff from Craigs List (a piece of 2x6 and chain link). Lots of Little League fields use those on the infield dirt.

·
MTF mile high club member
5,918 Posts
An old box spring from a bed works great for leveling dirt out; get rid of the covering with a method of your liking, attach a pull chain/cable/rope, and you're set (and it's free).

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Any of the above will likely work, Ive been dragging a section of spring tine harrows around behind the mower since last summer and 90% of my rough spots are gone, had to throw a few shovel fulls of soil in the low spots and gopher holes but its been a simple and cheap method, and it also lifts any sticks, dog bones or other objects that are partially embedded into the sod.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Any of the above will likely work, Ive been dragging a section of spring tine harrows around behind the mower since last summer and 90% of my rough spots are gone, had to throw a few shovel fulls of soil in the low spots and gopher holes but its been a simple and cheap method, and it also lifts any sticks, dog bones or other objects that are partially embedded into the sod.
So you're leveling dirt while you're mowing?

Do you have a link or pic of what you're using?

Thanks.

·
Registered
943 Posts
How bad are the ruts? Might be something you could just take care of with a nice heavy lawn roller after some rain...?

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
ditto on the box springs and sections of fence. also there was a guy here (cannot remember who) draggin a small utility trailer upside down and did a fantastic job!

also dont forget about the ole box blade scraper

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.