My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2010 Legacy XL with a Kawasaki LC engine. Time for my first oil change and I am trying to figure out how to access the oil drain plug. I found it but I can not figure out how to get a wrench in or what I can do with the exiting oil since the steel engine mount is right underneath it? Feeling really stupid now, bale me out please!

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Look around on all sides of the engine. I'm not familiar with yours, but many engines have a rubber hose attached that drains the engine. Most engines have more than one drain plug to accommodate different machinery. Perhaps your owner's manual has a picture of it somewhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope nothing on the other side nor drain tube I can see. Manual just shows the one drain plug that is hard to access and has no where to drain. Any Simplicity Legacy owners with this Kawasaki liquid cooled engine that can help me out?

·
Registered
46 Posts
just got a 2004 Legacy XL Diesel (210 Hours) and its a nice tractor but I'm not impressed with either the quality of the manual or the serviceability built into the unit. My 2004 manual shows one Kawasaki drain on the lower left side. The diesel has two and they look easy to get to. I spent a couple of hours lubing the three grease fittings on the main drive shaft. The book talks about rear axle grease fittings that are not there and the grease fitting on the mower drive shaft does not exist. It obviously should be there but it isn't. I guess they just didn't put one on at the factory. Good luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 1997 Legacy with the L/C Kawasaki motor and my drain plug is in the front on the right side (as you are facing the front) and has a rubber tube attached to it so all you do is loosen the fitting and the oil runs out of the tube into your container. Yours is obviously much newer but maybe you are just missing the rubber tube....I can't imagine they would change something so simple to use but you never know these days!!:fing20:

If you still can't find it, let me know and I will get a photo of mine to send along to you. It's raining now or I would go out to my shop and take the photo now.

BTW, I have about 800 hours on the engine and it has been flawless so far.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
If your tube is missing (my Conquest has one, also), you can install one for future use. Perhaps someone removed yours for some reason. The tube does make an oil change easy and clean to do.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a 2004 XL with the LC Kawasaki, and instead of a drain "plug", it had a drain "valve" on the left side (when seated) of the engine. I believe it was under the starter. You open the valve and the oil ran out the drain tube, which sounds like it might be missing. It usually took a long extension and a universal on the end with a socket to access the valve, it was not easy to reach. And, make sure you do get tightened, if not, naturally your oil will run out, how much depends on how soon you notice it. (don't ask how I know) ;) As I said it wasn't the easiest thing to reach to open or close.

Let us know if you find the valve, or if it really is a traditional plug. Good luck.

M

·
Registered
596 Posts
sounds like it might just be easier to get a oil vac and suck it out through the top of the engine. They don't cost that much northerntool is where I would start looking at one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts