My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, hope I don't honk off anyone who owns a hardware store.

I figured out that many generic type accessories, especially Agri-Fab, are available at True Value Hardware stores, but they usually have to be ordered. Ask for them to look in the TRU-START online catalog. If you happen to KNOW the owner, they can usually come up with some creative pricing.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I have found that there isn't much you can't order through your friendly neighborhood True-Value Hardware store.
The one near my place in Idaho is especially friendly, helpful, and willing to work with people on finding them things they are looking for that the big box stores would just say "we don't sell that".
Now, in defense of the big box store, just last week I had a store associate at Lowes tell me "he could get it if it was in the Graingers catalog."
Of course, I don't want to pay Graingers prices, plus Lowes markup for anything, but the fact that he offered was surprising to me.
:thThumbsU

·
15,000 +posts!
20,448 Posts
You might be wary of offers like those...your right,you'll only end up paying more..

I worked for an auto parts store that claimed "If they make it,we can get it"...well,in many cases the parts were "dealer only" items,so we'd have to buy them at the dealership,and despite us getting a better than your average walk in customer price,by the time we added in our markup for profit,going to get it,etc--.it would have been cheaper for the customer to just go to the dealer himself!...

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
You might be wary of offers like those...your right,you'll only end up paying more..

I worked for an auto parts store that claimed "If they make it,we can get it"...well,in many cases the parts were "dealer only" items,so we'd have to buy them at the dealership,and despite us getting a better than your average walk in customer price,by the time we added in our markup for profit,going to get it,etc--.it would have been cheaper for the customer to just go to the dealer himself!...

the parts store I worked in was the same way, and still is. He will get anything. And people are willing to pay. Why? Because Albany is 35 minutes away, 1 way. Most people find paying $10 extra worth it, rather than spending over an hour on the road, having to deal with a dealer themselves, and the fuel money. As a matter of fact, it's probably cheaper to have him get it.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,448 Posts
If that were the case here as well,I'd fully agree having the parts store do the running around and paying more, well worth it for the customer..but we have at least a dozen new car dealers within 3 miles of the parts store I was refering too--so many of our customers felt we took advantage of them by going to the dealer and trying to hide that fact,when they could have just gone there themselves..different areas have different situations..

We had an arrangememt with the other parts stores in town--we often bought parts at our competitors stores,(and they from us) if we needed say,two wheel bearings for a customer who couldn't wait till later in the day or tomorrow for us to get another in stock, if we happened to have only one left..(not an uncommon scenario!)..they would give us a disconut ,but not jobber cost,which forced us to raise the prices some..

That often created friction, when said customer bought the same parts the day before that we had on the shelf,for say,5 bucks,then the next day we had to buy one elsewhere and get 7.50 for it!..also,one other store we bought parts from often when we were "in a bind" always stamped their stores name on the box with a rubber stamp,so our customer immediately knew where it had REALLY come from,and they knew they could have called that store and ordered the parts cheaper directly,than we could sell them for!..

People here get real touchy when they feel they are being taken advantage of,and I cant blame them..its a tough buissness to be in,auto parts..a lot of competition,and the cheapest price wins..

Our store, being a small operation didn't have the means to keep a lot of stock sitting on the shelves gathering dust 80% of the time,when we could get it from our warehouses the same afternoon or next day,it didn' make sense too..but we lost a lot of bussiness by not having things "right now",garages cant let a car sit on a lift and tie it up all day waiting for a tie rod ,etc..

This is why smaller "jobber" parts stores are slowly dissapearing..but they are often the best places to get experienced counter men to look up "obsolete" parts for old stuff,sadly there wont be many left willing to do that soon..now its just "sorry--our computer has NO listing for that"..

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The point I was trying to get across is that the SMALL hardware store owner will take care of a regular client. Been there and have some accessories that I bought at a very good price.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
The point I was trying to get across is that the SMALL hardware store owner will take care of a regular client. Been there and have some accessories that I bought at a very good price.
that was my point as well

·
15,000 +posts!
20,448 Posts
Dont get me wrong guys..no one hates seeing the small "Mom and Pop" hardware and other stores losing sales and eventually being forced out of bussiness by larger box stores than ME!..I am willing to pay a few bucks more for personal service and to help keep them in bussiness whenever possible..

I get the feeling our only "Farm Tractor" store wont be around too much longer,judging by the bare shelves and lack of customers when I go there,I think the fact they are a John Deere dealer is the only reason they haven't closed the doors,myself..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts