My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems to be a sort of peg leg type rear end like on a car.
1 wheel gets more power then the other to turn easy.

can it be serviced? does it need an oil change?

I don't want to take it apart n just explore.

The main big question is will it work fine backwards?

I want to replace the engine with a spare but the config is backwards, I would need to flip the rear end over so the sprocket is on the other side.
Far as that goes it looks to be straight forward.

But will it work fine going "backwards" all the time???

·
Super Moderator
17,119 Posts
I would check with MTD because they are on of the manufaturers of penncraft equipment. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't think so, this is a very old mower , late 70s, early 80s well before MTD bought up ever company under the sun in the 90s. [I member that as I worked for a sign company and we changed all the brands to included MTD on them.]

·
Super Moderator
17,119 Posts
MTD makes tractor for alot of companies they don't own. for istance Currently Toro Lawn and Garden tractors in the past Montgomery Wards,Sears,J.C. Penneys ectThey made tractors for White Before they owned White Outdoor. They have been making outdoor power equipment for other Manufacturers since the late 1950's here are some of the brands they made for. http://montana20021.tripod.com/ :thThumbsU

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is supposed to be a knowledgeable forum, someone should know about the rear end.

As I doubt MTD is gonna bend over backwards to help me fix a 20+ yr old mower and not try to sell me a new one or send to to one of their service centers where ill pay as much as a new one would cost.

·
Slowly turning green...
1,248 Posts
Those tiny 2/3 speed RER transmissions are non serviceable so unless you NEED to service it in anyway, I would leave it alone.

·
Super Moderator
17,119 Posts
Call MTD here is there number 1-800-269-6215 I have dealt with them on 30 years old troy-bilt tillers They had the parts for them. and they wer $6.00 for the transmission seals I needeed. The parts dept at MTD is very knowledgeable and they won't pressure you to buy anything your Don't want.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those tiny 2/3 speed RER transmissions are non serviceable so unless you NEED to service it in anyway, I would leave it alone.
Will it run backwards just fine???

Servicing it is not important nore is buying parts for it, it needs non,
the main question I need to know is will it run backwards just fine???

I need to turn it around for the new engine config / have the sprocket on the left side, not the right.

physicaly it will bolt up that way just fine, but will it work ok???

I won't be taking it apart or anything, just unbolt the whole unit wheels n all, tunr it around n bolt right back in place.

·
Slowly turning green...
1,248 Posts
Will it run backwards just fine???

Servicing it is not important nore is buying parts for it, it needs non,
the main question I need to know is will it run backwards just fine???

I need to turn it around for the new engine config / have the sprocket on the left side, not the right.

physicaly it will bolt up that way just fine, but will it work ok???
To tell you the truth, I have never done anything like that myself but Those transmissions are generally pretty adaptable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so when you look under the mower

it will go from looking like this

to this

Will it work fine, does the rear end ever car which direction its going?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To tell you the truth, I have never done anything like that myself but Those transmissions are generally pretty adaptable.
The trans itself is on top by the engine, thats just a rear end, the trans isn't built into it. Just need to flip the rear end around.

·
Registered
22 Posts
350x
I think that all is in the case next to the sprocket is a set of spider gears and they are straight cut so will work just fine. My bolens made by mtd is the same as yours and that is the conclusion I came to. Just turn it around and it will work.

Glen

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
I'm looking for a heavy duty rear just like that...
I'm building a butt buggy and thats the only part I need....

·
GANG GREEN GIZMOW KILLER!
1,244 Posts
Im wondering why it is you want to do this?

Are you goting from a Vert shaft to a Horizontal? Horiz to a different Horiz?

If its the latter you might be surprized to find yourself with 4 reverse gears and one really slow forward one, blades spinning backwards and all. That is of course unless your going from a front pto engine to a rear pto engine or an engine with reverse rotation from what is the norm.

Either way, what in the world happened to that poor pulley?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
To answer your question, Yes the rear end in that tractor doesn't give a hoot what direction or side it is in, on, or what ever , all it cares about is that the chain makes it turn. the transmission is the part you need to worry about, but if your swapping it to another tactor, or some other project, the rear will work no matter what side the drive chain is on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I wanted to tip toe around what Im doing to find out what I needed to know before I got yelled at or ignored ;)

Im still debating on finding another V shaft engine if I can find one for a deal to keep its config as is so I will have 2 forward speeds and reverse [Id really like reverse], or give up on that and just get a 6.5 HP H shaft engine as they come so much cheaper. $100 can get a real nice honda clone that folks rav about on racing kart sites.

But those darn V shaft motors cost $$$ for one rated for a rider new.

Buddy found it in the trash, ran great, I took it home to build a racing mower.
I went a bit over board on my engine to trans ratio's and without a clutch, almost ripped my arm out and broke a sprocket in half. It sat a while and now the engine just won't run anymore. Keeps losing spark n shearing keys, tired of fussing with it.

I want to get it back going again though but Im up in the air on what to do now engine wise and I may cheap out n go H shaft and be stuck with 1 speed.

Would be only for fun, not real racing.

But I like its rear engine real low design.

http://viragotech.com/racinmower/rm.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why I was allouf:

As real racing mower sites think its all crap, and kart sites think its to hookey to use mower parts or have reverse, I shot for the middle ground to find some info as no one wanted to help on those sites.

ID really like to keep it V shaft just for reverse.

But I gotta find a deal on a engine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts