My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
OMC approved.
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found another LB on craigslist (the post is over a month old but I thought I'd call anyway). I was wondering what it is, the add says it did run good a long time ago but they don't know whats up with it now. They're asking $45 but I might shoot them an offer if they still have it. So back to my question, if this is an M series then I don't know much about them (hard to work on or anything/are they good mowers)?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Yes, That is an M series mower. Looks like the older model. They have tranny's that need cleaning and adjusting usually. Sometimes they pull back. They are kind of hard to work on, because they have so much to them, but when they start and run good, they cut great!

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
I can't really see the wheels very well, but that's the point to look to tell if it's a pre toro M or post toro M. The latter is in my opinion better because they have the better drive system and you can actually find wheels for them at a decent price.

That one also appears to be a BBC model (the recoil handle is at the engine rather than on the handle) Beware, if the BBC is shot there's no replacements available. (that's what I'm told anyway).

·
OMC approved.
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think i'm just going to give them a call and see what they'll take for it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yup, older M. I have three of them. Heavy beast, mows nicely, very solid handles, leaky fuel tanks, and parts can be a PITA to find for them. Of my three, one just needed the trans to be cleaned and lubed and it fired right up and runs great....although it starting to surge so I assume the carb is dirty. The 2nd one needed a lot of carb love and I am pretty sure the BBC is dorked. The 3rd is purely for parts for the other two and I haven't even tried to start it.

One thing that is nice (opinions vary) is that it has oil injection. This works well for me since my primary (well...it was last year) is a 4-stroke, I didn't have to get another gas can.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I can't really see the wheels very well, but that's the point to look to tell if it's a pre toro M or post toro M. The latter is in my opinion better because they have the better drive system and you can actually find wheels for them at a decent price.
How do the wheels differ?

·
OMC approved.
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I called but it seems the number has been changed, lady had no clue what me or my buddy were talking about. Ohh well, guess i'll have to find another one:fing32:

·
Registered
395 Posts
The Newer M series models toro made are the reg. plastic wheels found on 10323's 10525, etc.

The older ones use diecast/aluminum metal with bronze bushings...
I will actually have to check to see if mine are plastic or metal. Was pretty sure they were plastic, but they are def not the wheels used on my 10515. Out of the three I have, two of them have screws on the sides and one does not.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm also pretty sure mine are plastic ... but I did notice they had grease nipples.

·
Registered
300 Posts

That one also appears to be a BBC model (the recoil handle is at the engine rather than on the handle) Beware, if the BBC is shot there's no replacements available. (that's what I'm told anyway).
Pardon my ignorance, but what did toro do to the trannys to make them better. Just wondering

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what did toro do to the trannys to make them better. Just wondering
As for the wheels, well that's been answered, but the older M's used plastic wheels as well, even the commercial model, they were just orange. I do know that the drive wheels are different and generally hard to locate the older ones.

The true lawnboy M's had the same wheels as the old 8125, 8480 and similar "school bus" 4 square models that came before the M. After toro came in the wheels on the M changed to the same as were use in the gold and silver series.

Honestly have not encountered a pre-toro M other than from the outside so I don't know what difference there is in the transmission between the 2 different M years. The newer models don't have the issues with being hard to pull back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts