My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...because I got my first job! Yup, I'm joining the workforce at the ripe old age of 16.

I will be working with Scott, aka that_guy at a local gas station, which also has 3 professional mechanics, lifts, and all the amenities that a full size garage has to offer.

Its a great job, my duties include: sweeping and hosing down the bays, emptying oil containers, stock the shelves with brake cleaner, rust buster, stuff like that, as well as manning the computer and cash register.

So seeing as I dont get home till 6:15 and I have to eat, shower, and do homework, my MTF time is limited to weekends. Im still here, just less busy :trink39:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Congrats, you'll remember your first job for a long time. I remember I made $3.35/hour.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
whos not a profesional mechanic?

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
My first job was in 1998, at 16 building bicycles at Gamache's cyclery in Fitchburg, MA- I think I started at $6.50 an hour-
That was one of the oldest bike shops in Massachusetts- opened in 1905 they started selling Harleys, and in the 50's or 60's switched to bicycles. The owner finally retired a few years ago and lives in Maine still working part time (and riding all the time) at a bike shop at 80 years old. The old shop building got bought out and is now a pizzeria - weird!

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whos not a profesional mechanic?
Well I was thinking of Todd Graham and Oscar because they do most of the work, but I guess Pete is too.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i count 5, pete worked as a mechanic his whole life with m&j down the road, and also dont forget the head mechanic deebo

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only didnt count Pete because he doesnt really work on stuff in the shop that much.

·
Administrator
12,568 Posts
About time you got to work Hugh!!!! :ROF

You'll find you want to study and learn as much as you can hanging with the guys wrenching..... I learned how to weld being a Fire Watcher years ago with the steampipe guys. I was an Electricians Apprentice and got shot over to there side of the job often when I got caught up with my own work. Pick up all that you can along the way and stay in school......:trink40:

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,948 Posts
Hey, congrats, Hugh! I remember MY first job... Working for my dad out in his honey extracting plant.... Hot, sticky, dangerous, hard work! I remember my SECOND job better! As a student technician in our University's television studios! Indoors, air conditioned, lots of fun toys, AND they paid me! THAT'S when I decided I wanted to work at a university! Hope you found a job you'll enjoy, that's important!

·
Super Moderator
31,979 Posts
Thats awesome!!!

You know... I know you might not know it now [I didnt] but take every chance to learn from every job you get!! Weather its sweeping floors, pumping gas, or flipping burgers... there are things to learn at every job, that you can carry with you for the rest of your life. Watch whats going on, take advice from the old guys, learn all you can! Its one of the few teachings you get in this world that pays you.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Great news Hugh.:thThumbsU Ahh, your description of working in a service garage brings me back to my high school days- I remember all the cheap cars we bought and fixed up on " off time" . Fun stuff!

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
Congrats Hugh. My first was at 16 also. It was at Burger King, McDonald's didn't want me lol.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Congrats Hugh! You will actually really enjoy working, we can see that from what you've shown us on here. An important note from all of us who are a bit older, from the very first paycheck and every one after it put at least 10% of that into savings. Spend less than you earn and you should always have all that you need.:fing32:

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Congrats Hugh! You will actually really enjoy working, we can see that from what you've shown us on here. An important note from all of us who are a bit older, from the very first paycheck and every one after it put at least 10% of that into savings. Spend less than you earn and you should always have all that you need.:fing32:
This is good advice. Always save -- especially now when you are young and it is easier. Since you (presumably) have a family that you are still with, you should be able to sock away a good part of your earnings. I would shoot for 50% of your take home or even more. Resist the urge to splurge. It is a really good feeling having money in the bank.

Although it wasn't my first paying job, I started pumping gas when I was 15. This morphed into cleaning the shop too, and helping out on projects and learning a lot. Work is good. Good luck!

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Congrats on your first job, sounds like you`ll be plenty busy. I remember my first job, other then mowing lawns. I worked as a stock boy, and use to print all the signs for every dept. all for a $1.00 and hour. It seemed like my job grew but the pay didn't.

I had a chance to apply for a apprenticeship as a pipe fitter at our local ship yard building submarines, I took it and got a 97 cent raise right off and every 6 months got another raise for the next 4 years. I had to go to school there once a week learned how to read blueprints, learned about sub systems more math and had to work hard to keep my grades up as well as my job performance in the yard. We even got rotated to different parts of the shipyard learning how thing were done.

When I was done I was rated as a first class mechanic pipe fitter. Working on subs back in the sixty was like working in a coal mine, hot dirty noisy and dangerous. I worked with a 1st class pipe fitter for two years, before I got a few small jobs and some times I learned the hard way, but I learned like you will.

I worked for them for 31 years. Ship yard work is not always steady, been laid off due to lack of work and hired back when they had more. I worked other jobs in between, building stick built houses, worked at Pontiac dealership that was more fun then a real work, then went back to the boat company when they sent me a recall notice. Learn all you can it like money in the bank, the more you learn the better off you`ll be in the future.

Good Luck...

·
15,000 +posts!
20,712 Posts
Congrats Hugh!..sure you'll be glad to get money for the hobbies you enjoy,as well as pay bills and get a car,insure it,etc..

My first job was putting IHC Cub Cadet tractors together out of the shipping pallets when a customer bought one,then delivering it--had to put the seat on,the tires and rims,fill the fluids,test run it,put the deck on,etc...I was about 18 then,that job only lasted about 2 months though--I disliked driving 36 miles to work each way in my '56 Chevy truck,and my boss was too crabby ,I couldn't see me lasting there for long and he didn't either,so after 2 months he handed me my paycheck and said "I wont be needing you any more"--I was releived,because all that day I was trying to think of a way to tell him I was quitting!...sometimes you just dont fit in ,ya know??..

James,I just rode by Gamache's Cyclery a week ago Saturday!..I was surprised to see its now a pizza shop ...so much of Fitchburg has changed since I lived there last (1986) every time I go back there I recognize less and less of it..between the loss of trees from the ice storms and the general decline of the town it dont look much like I remembered it any more!..

Kentucky Wildcat is right about squirrelling away 10% of your paycheck--more would be a lot better--when I got my first job in retail working a parts store counter,I made 4.25 an hour!..but I took home almost 200 bucks by working 60 hour weeks...when I changed jobs and made about 300 a week,I was putting 150-200 a week in the bank,I was living at home and my living expenses were practically nil...but even after saving that much for many years,I'm now almost destitute,so dont think you'll be on easy street by saving a lot of cash,things dont always pan out like you want them too...

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Congrats Hugh!!! I'll just say set a goal and put a good percent away in savings every paycheck. It will become second nature for you to save in the future.

I start worker @ 14 yrs old in a small donut shop/restaurant closing and cleaning up in the afternoons for $2.00/hr. Bought my first car @ 15 and rest was history.

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
Haha come now be real, ur gonna be like me!!! BUY ALL the toys u want!! hehe...and then a vehicle cause ur SCREWED for the next 4-6 years after buying that if its very expensive..trust me I got 2 more years on my truck!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Congratulations Hugh. That sounds like a great job while you are in school. It brings back a lot of memories, I started in a 3 bay garage at 14 years old pumping gas, cleaning the shop, and working my way into tires and oil changes etc.. Many of the skills I learned then I use to this day. Buddy up to the mechanics and let them know you are interested in learning. They may give you a hard time at first but someone will notice and show you lots. I liked it so much when I did it I worked 35-40 a week while I was in high school. It worked for me but remember don't let your school work suffer. Also don't burn any bridges when it comes time to leave your first job, give a proper notice and leave on good terms. You never who you might work for in the future and a good reference goes a long way. People change jobs and you might be offered something down the road by a co worker or former boss because they remember a guy with a good attitude and skill set and willing to learn. Good luck and enjoy your job.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts