My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it wasn't for my mom and 2 brothers being in the painting/decorating business, my first vehicle would have been a pickup instead of a 79 Mustang Indy Pace car with a 302 and 4 speed. I knew they would be borrowing my truck all the time if I bought one. I even talked about a pickup and told them I wasn't buying one because I knew they would constantly borrow it if not bug me all the time to use it. Its strange that none of them at the time owned a pickup. So August 23 of 1987 I bought that first Mustang, sold it March of 1990, drove my brothers 2nd car for several months until he needed it back then I had no running car for several months when I bought a very beat up 82 Carolla for $325. I got into pizza delivery and bought a 2nd, 3rd & 4th Carollas. I started mowing lawns with only a Snapper 21" commercial mower. It weighed right at 100 pounds and was a bear to load into the small trunk of a Carolla. I learned how to lift up the handle and tip it on one front wheel, lift and put it in the trunk. Ugg that was hard for a skinny 150 pound guy. Finally with a promise from my boss at the pizza place to tell the banker I was full time (temporarily until I got the loan) on March 9th 1993 I got a loan of $2650 for a longbed beautiful sky blue metallic SE-5 1986 Mazda B2000. Finally my first pickup. 1994 I got a Wheel Horse 252-H to use in the lawn service and my world opened up. I didn't end up doing snow removal and moved up to the Twin Cities from Rochester, Mn. I was in the town I'm in now less than a month and my B2000 was rear ended overnight after a hit n run. My good insurance allowed me to pay it off and fix the box myself. I find another B2000 and another and another. I ended up owning 6 B2000s and parting them all out. All 6 were 1986 models. The last one had over 200,000 miles on it and ran like a champ. But I hated the nonexistent rear brakes that I could never get to work on any of the 86 models I had. So I parted out the last one I had getting $200 for an engine with over 200,000 miles on it. I had an 85 F150 then sold it. And had 3 Dodge/Plymouth Colts for a while,,,, and NO PICKUP. What a pain it is to always be hauling something, wrenching on something,, mowing grass and NOT having a pickup. My co-workers that I worked with at a Pizza Hut said it didn't look right for me to drive a tiny little Dodge Colt. They thought it just wasn't normal for Boyd not to be driving a pickup. I had an 85 Datsun pickup for a while. What a rusted piece of crap it was. I cut it up and made it into a trailer. I finally got another 83 F150 and have never been without a pickup since. I have owned over 1 dozen 81-93 F150s. All but one had the 300-6 in it. 79 F250 with 351M. Burnt 83 F350 chassis cab 161" wheelbase. Bad motor 85 F350 crew cab dually 6.9 diesel. Still have my 94 F250HD, 93 F150, 04 & 09 Rangers. Along the line I also owned a 91 Mazda MPV, Plymouth K car, 71 F600 with 300-6 engine and many others I can't remember. The F600 was almost as fun to drive as the 79 Mustang Indy Pace car with a 302. But I can never ever imagine "not" owning a pickup as long as I am able to drive. Even if I do get to a point where I can't drive,,,, I might just keep one so I can look at it, sit in it or drive it around the property if the place I live on is big enough. They could even bury me in one. It just would take a much bigger hole in the ground.

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
I also need a truck. My 2004 F150 just kicked over 223,000 and still runs like a new one. slkpk

·
Super Moderator
32,407 Posts
Ive been without a pickup for YEARS now and it sucks. :( I have the bronco... but its not as handy. Frankly thething has sat unused for two years now.. I would LOVE to find a nice 93-95 F150 with a solid body and a bum engine in it to swap the bronco running gear into.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I'm a truck guy owning my own Concrete Foundation business wouldn't be possible for a car to carry 30,000 lbs up and down hills threw mud etc and booming forms off truck, I guess it's really a big rig but the pick up does makes its $$ also!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
My Dad and I are truck guys as well. Dad had two Dodge's a Black 1996 Ram 1500 Sport w/ tow package (360, TorqueFlite, Dana rear) and a red 2002 Ram 1500 Sport 4 door w/ tow package and loaded. He bought both new, he traded his 02 in 2006 to buy my Mom a new Pacifica and was truck-less until last year and he bought a blue 1987 1500 Chevrolet 4X4 with a 2 year old Goodwrench 350 crate motor and a 700R4 overdrive. Then, two months later he bought a white 1988 Jeep Apache long bed with a 4.0 Inline 6 and a 5 Speed. My first vehicle was a maroon 1997 Ford F-150 XL with a 4.6 Triton V8 and an automatic. I bought it from my Grandfather for $10,000.00, it had less than 28,000 miles and was PERFECT, and I still have it and drive it every day. It currently has 165,856 miles and still going strong. Early last year I got tired of using my nice, still pretty clean, F-150 as a work truck so I bought a 1989 F-250 Lariat Super Cab Long Bed Diesel with a 7.3, C6 Auto, and Dana rear with 4.10 gears for $900.00; even came with a goose neck hitch. But it never liked to start and broke a fuel line last summer; I will probably end up in-framing the motor (rings, main and rod bearings, re-build injectors and pump, etc...).

Joe

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
A pickup is part of my life. I still have my first truck...
1967 Datsun
I think we need more pictures of that Datsun!!! :praying: That thing is sharp!! :thThumbsU

I cant imagine not owning a truck. I enjoy driving my car, but its just not the same as either of my trucks. You can see so much better in a truck, you sit higher, plus for me, I feel much safer too. :trink39:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'm without a pick-up for the first time in my 42 years of driving. I bought a big van, since I am building our future home in SC. Basically, I turned it into a rolling tool box, and it is better for that purpose. Believe me when I tell you that as soon as the house is done, I'll be replacing it with a good ole pick-em-up truck! I'd like to get a fairly old one (40's to 60's) and have a little 4 cylinder car for a daily driver, using the truck for hauling duties.

·
Super Moderator
17,136 Posts
I have had some kind of pickup since 1974 when I bought a F150, used. Can't imagine being without one--may not haul something all he time, but the bed and the towing capability are there when I need them--don't have to ask or borrow from anyone for that---

-and found out very quickly--DO NOT lend it out--to anyone!

glenn

·
Registered
709 Posts
I currently have the smallest truck I have ever had a 94 Dakota reg cab shortbed; I miss my old 3/4 ton, bad. I wish I'd have gotten another longbed Dakota like the '90 I used to have several years back. but I, too, have to have a pickup of some sort.
I like this truck, not bad for basic commuting/most of the basic "picking up" I usually do;

if I get working again I may go looking for an 89-83 3/4 ton Dodge 3/4 ton Cummins powered; I have never owned a diesel but I have owned several of "that series" of truck, all gas powered to this point; I just like the handling, feel, and "space" a full sized truck gives.
I certainly don't need a dually (had one of them too though; a '78 D-300 with a 360 V8, stock 2 barrel Holley and granny-low 4 speed)

I know I can't order the exact truck I want brand new no more, but what i am hoping for is a 3/4 ton, 4WD Cummins manual trans.. and an 89 or 90 version, since I think they looked better than the 91-93s, at least grille wise.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
I recently had my Ram down for repairs and I missed it tremendously. My truck is my daily driver and she's been not had an easy life, she's towed a lot of weight and hauled a lot of weight.

The worst thing is having to ask someone to use their truck, or have them go pick up something for you in their Pick Up :)

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I always owned a full sized truck up untill I started my own contracting company in 1998.

Went with a full size van and never looked back. It's so much nicer and more secure to carry tools, parts and materials in.

Rite now it's a Chevy 3500 extended van, no rear or side windows for security.

If I need to haul anything big? I have a 5 x 10 tilt trailer and a 8 x 27 14,000 lb tilt trailer.

If $$ was no object, I'd still have a pick-up also.

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ive been without a pickup for YEARS now and it sucks. :( I have the bronco... but its not as handy. Frankly thething has sat unused for two years now.. I would LOVE to find a nice 93-95 F150 with a solid body and a bum engine in it to swap the bronco running gear into.
Look for one with a 3.55 rear axle ratio. That ratio will give you the best mileage if you mainly drive in town and haul things now and then.

·
Super Moderator
32,407 Posts
Look for one with a 3.55 rear axle ratio. That ratio will give you the best mileage if you mainly drive in town and haul things now and then.
Yes, I agree. Thats what my bronco has. and the full size van I had with a 5.0L in it also had them. With normal size tires its a good ratio. The engine I have has a higher RPM power band though, so if I run biger tires, I need a little more gear.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.