My Tractor Forum banner

1221 - 1223 of 1223 Posts

·
15,000 +posts!
19,663 Posts
One of my late friends had his wood stove in his garage rigged up to burn used motor oil in addition to the usual wood..

He took an old gas tank he had from a Briggs & Stratton,that had a shut off valve (metal one) and it used a 1/4" metal tube for the gas line--he substituted copper 1/4" tubing instead--he made several wraps of coils into the tubing,he had planned to wrap it around the stove pipe to pre-heat the oil,but another friend told him he had experimented in the same fashion with his shop's wood stove,and it was a BAD idea to pre-heat the oil,as the oil burned so hot,the stove pipe often turned orange hot and the oil started boiling and spraying into the stove out of control..he said it turned his stove into a "jet engine" !..

Well,one afternoon I happened to visit him,just as he was ready to start the wood stove and try out his "waste oil burner"...it took about 20 minutes to get the wood going good,after a bed of coals was going,he opened the valve on the tank a bit,and adjusted it until it was about one drip every 10 seconds or so..

He had heard putting some chains hanging down into the stove in the path of the smoke pipe outlet would get the chain red hot and he rigged the tubing so it would drip right on the chain...every drop that hit it sounded like a mini explosion,it'd go "WHOOF",and you could feel the tremendous heat instantly..

We sat there about an hour enjoying the heat,made some coffee on the stove with a kettle,and he was feeling pretty pleased it seemed to be working well...but one thing he was not happy about,was one tank of oil seemed like it would take all day to burn it all,and he was hoping it would dispose of more oil faster,as he had plenty hanging around from oil changes and small engines..

We were sitting there talking and then I noticed the drips started getting faster,and the "WHOOF-WHOOF- WHOOF" started pulsing faster and faster,and the stove began glowing!--we assumed the oil in the tank had warmed up and thinned out,and he turned the shut off valve nearly closed to slow the rate of drips down..it calmed down after a few minutes,and we thought it'd be ok now that the "final adjustment" was dialed in..

We were wrong though--a few minutes later as we were fooling with a tractor ,now that it was toasty warm in the shop,we heard the dripping start going faster & faster again--he went to turn off the shut off valve,and got his hand burnt,it was very hot,and then we started hearing the oil IN the tank start "boiling"...smoke came out under pressure from the vent hole in the gas cap,and we were scared the tank would explode--he put on his welding gloves and ripped it off the wall bracket,and tossed it and the tubing out into the snow outside..it melted down to bare ground in a few seconds,and some oil that came out of the tubing on fire was now burning in drops all over the cement floor..we ran around stomping out little oil droplet fires till all were out!..

He never tried messing with used oil again...what baffles me is I've seen a setup almost identical to his being used at a salvage yard's "office" for years ,with no bad experiences..like to know what their secret is..

I sometimes toss in a used oil filter in my wood stove when I do an oil change--long as the fire is going good,there is no smoke,and it'll burn about 15 minutes--then I can put the burnt "shell" in the dump's metal pile with no complaints,otherwise a used oil filter is "hazardous waste" and must be disposed of in a special container ..

I once tried burning some big cartridge type oil filters from semi trucks that had a perforated metal outer shell,they were over a foot long and at least 6" in diameter--once they got going they would burn about 35 minutes--but the stove would get red to orange hot, once they started "huffing",the burn was "out of control",trying to choke off the air intake only resulted in tons of smoke,and if you left it open,flames would pulsate out of the intake openings like a choo-choo train ,very rapidly...so that experiment was a failure too..

If I burn any waste oil now,I just toss in a paper cup fill and be careful to stand clear and slam the stove's door shut quickly...after nearly losing my right hand,got it badly burned by fooling with used oil ,I'm a lot more careful with fire & oil !..

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
I worked in a shop where we had a used oil wood stove setup. It was a double barrel stove lined with firebrick.

Oil setup was an empty 55gal drum with another 55 gal oil container on top of it. 8ft of copper pipe with a ball valve went to the wood burning stove.

You slowly fed the woodstove with oil as it warmed up and it would glow the pipe between the stove barrels and huff like a steam locomotive when going well. I don't think the feed was ever more than a drip to a 1/16" stream even when going all out.

·
Premium Member
7,896 Posts
My 2004 Explorer is pushing 290k miles (second engine and tranny). It's really starting to show its age, and I've been looking at options to replace it.

It needs a few things, but really isn't worth much more investment, as it's getting body rot on the rocker panels.

The other day, my youngest son (just turned 9) saw a rubber weather strip (under the rocker panel area) had come off in one section (the rest is hanging on by thread). He asked something to the effect of: "Daddy, does this mean your whole truck is going to break?"

Not to be outdone, my oldest son (about to turn 13) saw this a few days later and said: "Daddy, it looks like your whole truck is falling apart!"

Great...

Mike

1221 - 1223 of 1223 Posts