My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hey Mike you can have the white stuff I dont want anything to do with it. I started this process in early-mid September hoping I wouldn't be doing the installation in this weather but here I am. I am under a cover but that's about all I can say it is haha.

I'll snap some pictures tomorrow but I've come to a grinding halt. When I was deciphering the instructions for the control valve and hydraulic connections I realized I only got 1 bspt to jic adapter and was supposed to get 3. I've never heard of British standard pipe taper before so might be a little while before I can sort that out or it might be readily available. Reminds me of the torpedo fuses in the old White.

Also one of the brackets got a little set in it while welding at the factory I imagine cause the one arm that connects the uprights to the front doesn't fit nice and has quite a bow in it.

Not the handiest outcome when the snow is already on the ground Haha. Not much I can do but laugh though I guess.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It's sunday so I'm not able to get or even track down those two fittings for the hydraulics but I've been taking stock as to what I have moving forward in case I am missing something else.

I guess I should have had the dealer install it but not sure they like working on old ramshackle tractors haha plus it saved me quite a bit of money and I took the time to clean out all the threaded holes on the tractor with a tap and brake clean and a wire brush. I also used hand tools rather than an impact gun so I could feel how everything went together.

Aside from the missing fittings I took some pics of the forward arm thing. The instructions say to leave everything loose until all of the subframe brackets are on the tractor and while all the bolts are loose you wouldn't notice the extreme angle difference here but it is pronounced.

Also, may be small thing but the hose holder is warped enough I dont know if I can get the pin in it once it's on the tractor.

Either way for the price of this rig I have to say I'm less than impressed and I haven't even got the loader itself on the tractor yet. Haven't seen or heard a negative peep about woods stuff either on the line or through personal accounts in fact all the positive stuff is the reason I went with this loader. Definitely not jumping on the 'its junk' wagon but quality control was lacking here. In the same breathe there arent a lot of loaders available for these old tractors so I do appreciate the fact that a select few companies like woods offer it.

Attachments

·
Parts collector
3,358 Posts
I just found this thread. DANG! :tango_face_surprise That is one rusty bugger! the progress looks great though. :thThumbsU

·
Choke's stuck on!
496 Posts
Just found it as well. Looks like the kind of rusty/neglected/milky fluid/jerry rigged wiring/cut up tire junk I like to buy, too!

Nice work so far!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Bought this 5' box blade last week because the replacement piece for the loader wasn't supposed to leave the factory until the 10th and we are getting annoying white stuff now. It will serve me well at the property in the good months of the year and after using it for a couple plows now I think using it and the loader in conjunction will be the cats meow for plowing snow.

The part for the loader came in wednesday so I picked it up after work and got it on via headlamp. Its snowing atm so hoping to get the actual loader on in the morning if it's not -100 out. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

In regards to the box blade I don't think it is heavy duty enough for me so in the spring I will get the corners gusseted and the attachment points redone so it takes through pins rather than studs. If anyone knows of any other HD-esque worthwhile mods to a box blade I'd be happy to know before it goes under the Zeus stick.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
As promised here are some pictures of once I got it all installed. Had to mess with a few hoses that were interfering with the tires while at max turn and some of the upper hoses that wanted to be on top of the hood when the loader was all the way up. Works really well pretty happy with it other than the paint. Pretty sure you can take the paint off it with a fingernail and theres no primer so not surprised I guess.

Lots left to do to the old beast stay tuned I guess haha.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,036 Posts
Slow progress is still progress and even a turtle wins a race once in awhile. Your perseverance is overcoming the obstacles. Looks good and will look even better when that green paint is covered with orange... or not. But at least everything is coming together.
MikeC

·
Super Moderator
29,038 Posts
Matt, hadn't followed this for a while, so congrats on tracking down the floorboard and getting everything looking much better. Looks mean with the loader on it too!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
After I'm done plowing snow and switch over to doing maple syrup in the spring I'm going to get the box blade built up a bit and I'll hopefully paint it either orange or black. The green is quite out of place I agree.

I haven't been able to find the other floorboard as of yet still looking for something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Haven't been posting much lately just lurking more or less since my 186d didnt need any work. I recently sold it and picked up a new project in a Kubota L2550 with a sims cab. It's extremely rough think it sat outside forever but hey it was boring not having a tractor project on the go. Floorboards and fenders are eukered so I may try my hand at making some myself. I'm sure I'll find more as I go I.e. diesel in the oil I smelled today so I'm hoping bad Injector. Glow plugs are a question mark, tach no worky, wiring is a bit of a mess etc etc. Should be fun

Here's some pictures obviously haha
Hi, I just saw this post and thought I'd mention that I have an 80's vintage L2550 that has been parked/stored outside its entire life and looks like new (waxed horizontal surfaces about once every 5 years). It has not been near salt, so that might be the difference in metal condition. I noticed the cab was pretty rough but that you did have the rear window (which some don't like because it get's in the way of monitoring rear implements). If you decide not to use it, I'd be interested in the window. Let me know. Thanks.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts