My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been posting much lately just lurking more or less since my 186d didnt need any work. I recently sold it and picked up a new project in a Kubota L2550 with a sims cab. It's extremely rough think it sat outside forever but hey it was boring not having a tractor project on the go. Floorboards and fenders are eukered so I may try my hand at making some myself. I'm sure I'll find more as I go I.e. diesel in the oil I smelled today so I'm hoping bad Injector. Glow plugs are a question mark, tach no worky, wiring is a bit of a mess etc etc. Should be fun

Here's some pictures obviously haha

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,717 Posts
Hey Matt, good to hear from you again. Hope to see the interesting "restore" on the Kubota. Appears to be a lot of cosmetic and hopefully just those few pesky problems. Well enough to keep you busy. Speaking of busy, aren't you getting into the start of your busy season. Was sorry to see the White go, what with all the work you put into it but like you said, a White aficionado is probably keeping it nice maintained. The 186, well we hardly knew her. Hey Did you ever get you steel building up or is it gonna be another season of working under the apple tree?:tango_face_devil: Looking forward to progress reports.
MikeC

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes busy season is staring me in the face I'm going to do the work on the kubota by moonlight I think Haha. Time and money didnt allow me to get the building up last year but as soon as I can break ground it's going up or that is the plan anyways. I missed the old white this winter that's for sure but the yanmar was handy as well just too small. So I went from 50hp to 18hp and now to 29.5hp as tractordata tells me. The yanmar was a one owner meticulously maintained tractor so it was easy to keep going but I like working on stuff so it was quite boring. The lack of power steering was the nail in the coffin for it while plowing snow this winter.

I drained the diesel contaminated oil this morning and refilled it for peace of mind while moving it around. While it was draining I pulled the dipstick for the front axle and unsurprisingly it was milky and extremely low. The final drives on the front (I think they are considered final drives and not planetaries on this tractor) are coated in residue so I'm assuming they leak Haha. Dont see any leaks from the transmission but the sight glass is unreadable. Either way everything is going to get fresh stuff and then I'll start picking stuff off as req'd.

One thing that surprises me is the lack of grease fittings on this tractor. The front axle pivot isnt greasable which seems slightly ridiculous to me. Guess maybe that's because its and L series economy tractor? I dont know

·
Super Moderator
25,872 Posts
Matt, well looks like you'll be spending some time on that machine. With all the rust they must've exposed it to some salt and not cleaned it. Going to be interesting watching this machine come back to life!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matt, well looks like you'll be spending some time on that machine. With all the rust they must've exposed it to some salt and not cleaned it. Going to be interesting watching this machine come back to life!
That was my suspicion as well as the suspicion of the guy I bought it from. However after owning that G5200 garden tractor and seeing how crappy the metal used to build the deck was I wonder if the quality of the body metal used on the fenders and floorboards didnt play a part in it as well. They aren't exactly built tough just basically body metal less than 1/8" thick. From what I've read about the L2250, 2550, 2850 etc. A lot of people are hunting for fenders and floorboards (same story I ran into with the G series and the decks) So if time permits I'd like to take the opportunity to improve the tractor by making some that will last.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't even really remember what I did today to it I had 4 or so hours to mess with it. Changed the 80w90 in the front axle, changed the oil but left the filter on until I can get the diesel leaking into the oil issue solved. Popped the dash out to figure out the tach, the drive line for the tach was disconnected so I reattached it and still doesn't work so that's something I should have looked into deeper while I had the dash out. But being mechanical I'd say the drive cable is done or the gauge.

The charging/battery light stays on so i got the multimeter out and the battery read 12.2V and while running read 14.2V so all is well with the battery and alternator so the wiring for the dash portion of that is eukered.

Removed the cab in a gentle manner but needed to grind bolts off and add some heat. I'm on the fence about reusing it, it would have its perks for sure and it's not in terrible shape. I took the cobblejob cab heater out as well. Topped off the coolant and since the heater circuit was just a loop between the pump and the thermostat housing put it back to stock with a piece of hose.

While the tread is all good on the tires I noticed the one front tire has a nasty slash on the inside sidewall.

Not sure what else, all in all the wiring isnt too terrible the main harness' look relatively untouched. I'm assuming the alternator light issue has something to do with some cobble wiring involving a marett I found Haha. Just to make this feel more like the White all over again there was a large critter nest on top of the fuel tank; this time fortunately no chewed wires!

The three point is jerky on it's way up so I'm hoping a filter clean and new fluid will solve that. Not much else to report really. Gave it a quick rinse with 3 cans of degreaser and the pressure washer as well and deleted the carpet cab liner Haha.

I'll take some more pictures tomorrow if it's not pouring rain.

Attachments

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,820 Posts
Good luck with it. I got one and it's a great tractor. No cab on mine but have a FEL.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a few more hours today and last night to mess with the Kubota. The dash illumination, hazard blinkers, and oil pressure light was the only stuff working on the dash so I figured I'd jump in there.

The tachourmeter cable was broke at the drive end so I ordered a new one. Fuel gauge actually works just needed fuel Haha and the temp gauge wiring has continuity to the sensor in the head. So I ordered one of them as well.

Checked the battery and alternator and it was charging 14+ volts last night but today it's just holding around 12.7 not sure what's up with that.

Glow plugs have continuity but have low voltage only around 6-9V the indicator gets hot enough to burn my finger but not glow red hot lol have to sort that out at some point.

Deleted the scab cab wiring. Got air, fuel, hydraulic, and engine oil filter today along with the new injectors. So since the fuel tank was so low I figured I'd drain the old fuel and any crap in there before changing the filter and the injectors. It didnt look too bad coming out of the tank but the filter was like nothing I've ever seen. I thought it would have been rarely, if ever changed since the cab heater location prevented easy access or any access to it at all. So needless to say I sprayed down the tank with brake clean, rinsed with diesel, changed filter and brake cleaned and blew out the rest of the lines from the filter to the injectors with air. Not hard to imagine why the injectors were potentially bad.

Changed the injectors and pulled out the glow plugs to test them in the original circuit but outside of the head. They didnt get hot let alone glow. I messed up my multimeter resistor so couldn't check for resistance with them.

This tractor has a high idle which baffled me for a bit but is kinda cool. The temp sensor and tach drive cable might be in tomorrow.

Changed the hydro/trans fluid and filter thought it would be milky but wasnt bad. When I pulled the old filter off there was a nut sitting right on top of it. Thought that was weird. Changed air filter and between that and the new injectors the smoke looks black now and the exhaust smells better so hopefully that's some progress.

Don't really remember what else I got into tbh. Thought I found a loader for it today but it was sold oh well worse comes to worse I'll get a new one for it I guess if when "done" I feel this tractor is worthwhile keeping.

Attachments

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Your making good progress. That is one nasty looking fuel filter.
If the battery is holding 12.7 without running after sitting over night thats not too bad.
May need some more charging.
Dave

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont know what was going on with the charging issue but its charging again today 14.7v weird. I thought I'd try and figure a few more things out this afternoon. After taking some time to inspect the alternator wiring mess I realized someone had replaced the alternator with one that is internally regulated hence the wires at the voltage regulator being cut. They just put the wire from the alternator regulator onto one of the wires that runs to the voltage regulator on the tractor and tied into the wire going to the charging light from the regulator. Makes sense I guess but the light would never go out it would only dim Haha. Oh well i guess I figured it out though not ideal.

Got the tachourmeter cable and temp sensor today. So I pulled the intake manifold and swapped the sensor out. While I was there I took a shot in the dark with the glow plugs took sandpaper, wire brush, and brake clean to the connections and voila they glow now.

So now I have temp gauge, glow plugs, a charging light that kind of works, fuel gauge, oil pressure light, and hopefully a tachourmeter. Doesnt seem like much but a fair bit of fooling around to get there some head scratching as well. Figured I'd put a new gasket on the intake manifold since I'd had it off twice now what a bad idea Haha. Took forever to get the old gasket material off the head.

So yeah now I am making templates for making my own floorboards and fenders. The couple tractor scrapyards I know exist have a bunch of botas but almost all of the fenders and floorboards are eukered on them as well Haha. Rather than go with crappy garbage think I'm going to make the boards out of 1/4" plate and the fenders out of the same with a support running down to where the ROPS bolts up to the axle castings. Only reason I'd go through the extra work of the support is that the original fenders just hang off the sheet metal in the middle section under seat and the floorboards they are all dependent on one another it seems.

Sorry no pics today. Took a couple videos for the youtubes yesterday but that's it. Maybe some photos tomorrow.

What do you guys think about putting an inline strainer between the tank and the OEM fuel filter?

Thanks for following my messing around

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good luck with it. I got one and it's a great tractor. No cab on mine but have a FEL.
Any chance you could snag a picture of the underside of the footboards for me? I think someone attempted to fix them at some point cant find a pic anywhere of the original attachment points for the brake return springs etc

·
Super Moderator
25,872 Posts
Matt, you're making good progress on it! Amazing what a little elbow grease and cleaning will bring back to life. I like the idea of tying the floorboards to the ROPS mount. I'd want the sturdiest floorboards I could make on it too.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,820 Posts
Any chance you could snag a picture of the underside of the footboards for me? I think someone attempted to fix them at some point cant find a pic anywhere of the original attachment points for the brake return springs etc
I'll see what I can do. May be a couple of days, but hopefully by the weekend I can get some pictures.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so haven't had much time to work on this but now that I bought the 70 acres I'm going to need it as soon as the bugs die off and the rains quit for a couple days.

So the prospect of fabricating fenders didnt seem like fun and would likely take me forever so I went on kijiji and found a used set a guy was selling off of an M4900. Same shape much taller. Seller was a really cool guy who built a cab for his tractor that was better than most factory cabs I've seen was wild to see and made me want to quite cutting trees for a living and take up a different trade h

I picked them up last weekend. They need work for sure but should be a lot less work than making some from scratch.

Also picked up a back blade on Monday. Looks like was never used 6' and built strong enough to withstand a compact tractor. Guy had a box blade as well. I went with intentions to buy both but the box blade was gone by the time I got there no surprise. At least I didnt leave empty handed.

Pictures won't upload will do it later

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Long time no post. Busy season is still alive but I can see the end of it. I got the L2550 working enough that I could use it at the property during the summer months and was pretty impressed with it. Enough that after looking for months for a used loader for it I bit the bullet and ordered a new Woods LC102 loader for it with SSQA and a 66" bucket (winter is approaching quickly)

So now that I'm putting out that kind of money for a tractor that is 1 year older than me I have renewed interest in actually carrying on with the project. Plus I may have a spare few minutes here and there looking ahead. One of the front tires has a pretty nasty gash in the sidewall so in preparation for the loader I ordered 2 new 8-16 6ply tires for the front. This will be my first attempt at changing a tractor tire figured start with small ones Haha.

I'd like to put the proper alternator on it instead of this cobbled gm internally regulated one that's on it. While I'm at that I'll do the fan belt since it looks like failure is imminent.

It has an inline coolant heater plumbed into the lower rad hose but I've read about a lot of people saying they dont do much. I dont think this tractor has a frost plug variation available from Kubota but that's something I would like to sort out before the snow flies.

Still hunting for the proper fenders for the tractor but am still considering trying my hand at fabricating all new and improved tin from the pedals back.

While running the 7' cultivator, 7' landscape rake, and that blade at the property I noticed that the right side 3pt hitch arm sway enough to contact the back tire crisply. It clearly has more range of motion than the right which is weird but that's something I'd like to figure out.

The work it is bound to do is not something I'd put a showpiece through so my plans have changed regarding a full resto at least for now plus I need to use it and dont have enough time to commit to a long term project.

Removed and sold the cab as well because I couldn't fit in it very well.

Anyways enough rambling....

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,717 Posts
One of the front tires has a pretty nasty gash in the sidewall so in preparation for the loader I ordered 2 new 8-16 6ply tires for the front. This will be my first attempt at changing a tractor tire figured start with small ones Haha.
Nice progress Matt. As for the tires, don't give up when changing them. Although I have a tire changer I just about ran out of curse words, (had to run through them 2/3 times) when I went to do front 6 ply tires on one of mine. Boy those suckers REALLY don't want to stretch and that was after letting them sit in the sun for the better part of a summer day. Don't even think of doing them on a cooler day. Almost enough to have me start letting tire shop change them. Almost, but not quite cause I'm a cheap old fart.:tango_face_devil:
MikeC

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the tires changed out today it took about 3 hours. Would have been significantly less if the outside bead on one wasnt being so stubborn. Had to hammer a pry bar in between the rim and sidewall and squirt penetrating oil when I was able to get the rubber pried back. Had to go around the rim 3 times. First one I just drove with the valve stem out and it came right off the bead. Not so lucky with the second one.

Ok course I figured out the best method by the time I got the second one done so if I were to do it again I could do it faster I think.

Also found maybe the last new left floorboard in the world? For this tractor. Not even sure what it all worked out to as to what I paid but it came from a kubota dealer in the UK.

She looks mean with the new boots on the front. After I took off the tire with the bad gash in it I was glad I decided to go this way because there wasnt much meat left there destined for failure with the loader anyways. That's all I have for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the Woods LC 102 loader today. Started installing the brackets but didn't have much time today. First impressions are it seems very well built. Came with a bit of shipping rash but its destined to get scratched and dirty anyways. Only bad thing so far is it makes the condition of the tractor look terrible haha. I think the l2550 us an 86 so it has the older kubota orange paint to begin with as well.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,717 Posts
Everything looking good Matt. Is that white fuzzy stuff the shipping rash you spoke about?:tango_face_devil: Seems to be pretty contagious as I see it has spread all over the ground too. Hopefully it stays north of the border... at least for a while. BTW are you working under cover yet or still out with Mother Nature?
MikeC

1 - 20 of 24 Posts