My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cutting pavers with my cheapo Home Depot tile saw the other day (the moral equivalent of ground engaging with a $999 lawn tractor) and it quit. It is supposed to have a circuit that shuts it down when it is overloaded. It has happened when I've used it in the past for extended periods. Usually it cools down and resets itself and away I go again. This time it has not recovered and it's been several days. I had cut and snapped through five 18" paving stones when it quit half way through the sixth. I have 6 more pavers to cut for this job, I'd hate to have to buy another one of these things if I can save the one I have.

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Why don't you go to your local rental store and pick up an "installer-grade" MK wet saw? :)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
why is this located here in Backyard round table. You would probably get a better response in the correct section maybe one of the mods can help.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Have you checked to see if the circuit it is on is tripped? If you do get it working, make sure the circuit it is on is big enough, as well as the extension cord (if you are using one). I'd imagine that thing draws a few amps.

- Redirecting this thread -

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why is this located here in Backyard round table. You would probably get a better response in the correct section maybe one of the mods can help.
Well, I was working in my back yard but "tool time" works. I guess it could also go in "look what I broke today" or "my place".

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you checked to see if the circuit it is on is tripped? If you do get it working, make sure the circuit it is on is big enough, as well as the extension cord (if you are using one). I'd imagine that thing draws a few amps.

- Redirecting this thread -
I tried a number of different circuits. It's definitely a problem with the saw. I don't know how much it draws, but the motor is way smaller than that on my table or chop saw. It only has a 4" blade to spin.

·
Registered
473 Posts
What brand of saw do you have?
MK makes the best saws.
I would check the wiring clips to see if any melted on the motor or in the switch box. If that has not happened by pass the switch and see if that is working then use a tester to check the continuity of the breaker on the moter and the moter winddings. That should locate the problem. You can either buy a replacement moter or part, Send the moter out and have it rewound or buy a good tile saw. I have a good MK tile saw but when I have brick and other nasty things to cut I rent a saw and save mine for nice tile work.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You could also get a couple of masonary blades for a circular saw or angle grinder if you have them. I've seen masons use them on bricks all the time.

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could also get a couple of masonary blades for a circular saw or angle grinder if you have them. I've seen masons use them on bricks all the time.
I've been that route. The dust is just incredible. The tile saw is no dust, just water and way faster too. Of course, the speed may have been my problem!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts