My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Junk Whisperer
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife found this one at a garage sale over the weekend. What a great wife I have, as she endorses my Looney Boy habit! She was worried she'd found a pig in a poke, but I cleaned the dirt out of the dry for years fuel tank, mixed up some gas, and it lit in three pulls! Even the blade was sharp! I went right out and mowed the front yard with it. It's a 8237 with a 1978 serial number, but a D engine and suitcase shroud. The Toro lookup shows a Darth Vader head and F engine. Was this a 'transitional' model, or did someone just switch engines? I mean, it 'looks' original enough, and the drive system works great and all. Just wondering what I've got here.

·
Junk Whisperer
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea. ive had/have a few of those and they came with the f series engine on it. nice find though!
After I posted I saw jwor620's 8237 on the post your pictures thread, and figured it must have been swapped, but I like the way the D's sound, and it's sure a good runner! It seems kind of common, the parts swapping, or once you get into a 20 or 30 year old LB anyway. I've got a 7073 with a Scamp head on it that I'm sure is a swap, and an S21ESN that I've basically made into a Gold series commercial from God only knows how many different machines.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The shroud is wrong. It's from an 8237AE, and this one doesn't appear to have any provisions for a battery, nor a keyswitch.
It should say "Solid State Ignition" on the side.

My grandma had an 8237AE that was the beginning of my Lawn-Boy affliction. She got it as a loaner when her other cheapie mower was in the shop, and liked it so much, she asked if they'd just make it a straight-up trade. They did.
My buddy's grandma has one as well, and I'm working on getting it. It needs a CDI pack, but otherwise it's in near mint shape.

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
I have an 8235AE that's in sad but fixable shape. It's low on the priority list right now just because I'm not a huge fan of the suitcase shrouds, lol.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Wait a minute...The kill switch plug is still intact on that shroud, and I see wiring going up the handlebar for a keyswitch, but no battery mounting lugs or "AE" after the model number. The number plate is offset like an electric start model should be though. Wierd.

·
Junk Whisperer
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wait a minute...The kill switch plug is still intact on that shroud, and I see wiring going up the handlebar for a keyswitch, but no battery mounting lugs or "AE" after the model number. The number plate is offset like an electric start model should be though. Wierd.
Yeah, its bizarre- the silver decal on the pull start says D-641-AE, and there is the bracket under there for the starter. It won't run unless the key is in the on position, and it turns off with the key, but yeah, nothing to mount the battery. I dunno.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts