My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Detailed in another thread, but I have a x500 with <400 hrs that is exhibiting all the signs of a bad transaxle. I've replaced the fluid, drive belt, pulleys etc. with no change. I bought it used from an older gentleman who bought it used so not sure what's it's been through in life but it has 386 hrs so not too impressed either way. I mow my semi hilly yard, move a little snow (do most with my truck), haul some mulch, your everyday suburban ****.

My options are wait 4-6 weeks for my Deere dealer to tell me they need to replace it for >$2000 (yes 4-6 weeks), buy a used K72 with unknown history for $8-900 on ebay and strap it on, or drop $400 on the rebuild kit do it myself. I just watched 12 hrs of youtube videos and it's not as daunting as I thought, but haven't seen a video or tutorial on a k72 proper. This would be the first transaxle I've worked on, but am reasonably good at following directions and can read and follow a schematic well.

So, should I do the rebuild??? or just sell it as is and recoup as much as I can out of it? I have the 48" front blade/plow and a power flow for it, so have a bunch in vested in the x5xx series platform right now... Here's a pic of the offender, because pics make every thread better.

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Can you post the serial number to your K72?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
If the rest of the tractor is in good shape, I'd rebuild it.

·
Super Moderator
23,188 Posts
Why do you think that it needs a rebuild?

Reactions: Father Deerest

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why do you think that it needs a rebuild?
no power going up moderate hill, works fine on level ground. gets worse when warmed up. excessive noise out of the transaxle...

·
blinged out
1,528 Posts
it may have been abused badly or never serviced! I have an 08 k72a and 2014 k72b both with over 500hrs. and they both work as new! my 72b gets heavy work on hills with a loaded cyclone rake and never given a problem!72a I pull heavy boats around occasionally and it get winter snow blower work [which I don't consider heavy load} on trans.,motor yes!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
The thing that would freak me out is trying to rebuild it only to miss something and or have a issue that I couldn't figure out. Then end up in the same place and another $4-500.00 deeper in. And still end up having to take and have a shop figure it out. **** you can buy a brand new trans for around 2K and be done. Anyways.....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it may have been abused badly or never serviced! I have an 08 k72a and 2014 k72b both with over 500hrs. and they both work as new! my 72b gets heavy work on hills with a loaded cyclone rake and never given a problem!72a I pull heavy boats around occasionally and it get winter snow blower work [which I don't consider heavy load} on trans.,motor yes!
yeah I hear you. it certainly hasn't had that hard of a life with me. I'm going to call TT tomorrow and see what they say/recommend.

·
Father Deerest
2,816 Posts
Did you try to pull the freewheel lever out and push it back in, just kind of work it back and forth. Unless the guy before you was pulling really heavy trailers/objects or using it at a tractor pull, it seems like there has to be a much easier solution. Changing the fluid fills up the hydro side fast but has to pass through an internal filter to the final gear side lowering the level, or worse case scenario the input shaft pulley splines are stripped.
So check:
1) work the free wheel lever in/out
2) check the fluids on both sides of the gear and hydro with the fender off.
3) remove the input shaft pulley for worn/stripped splines.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you try to pull the freewheel lever out and push it back in, just kind of work it back and forth. Unless the guy before you was pulling really heavy trailers/objects or using it at a tractor pull, it seems like there has to be a much easier solution. Changing the fluid fills up the hydro side fast but has to pass through an internal filter to the final gear side lowering the level, or worse case scenario the input shaft pulley splines are stripped.
So check:
1) work the free wheel lever in/out
2) check the fluids on both sides of the gear and hydro with the fender off.
3) remove the input shaft pulley for worn/stripped splines.
1) yes done no result...
2) fluid level checks out.
3) that was one thing I considered buy haven't attempted. that would I think result in me dropping the trans, and figured I would inspect that first before progressing to the pump/motor trans rebuild, which hopefully I can even source the right parts for.

·
Super Moderator
23,188 Posts
Check the parking brake function.

Simple test. Tie the tractor to a tree and try to pull it at WOT. If the tires don't spin, the hydro needs a rebuild.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I would recommend to the op to copy and paste a link into his orginal post regarding his x500 issues. Otherwise you are going to get the same questions multiple times that you answered last week.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Usually it is very hard to find a used K72. I see the one your are talking about. It has 1300 hours on it. Failure (of yours) after less than 500 hours seems very unusual. But, I would be concerned about a used one, since you don't really know the history of it. I would do the rebuild. It looks reasonably straightforward. I suspect the insides of the K72 are similar to the K46. I would probably also replace all the seals.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Have a friend who just went to the dealership with his LX277, which doesn’t have a K72 (has K62) but had identical problems. Turned out the tensioner pulley and spring were the culprit. I know you said you have gone over the pulleys but didn’t see that you checked the spring.

When I changed the drive belt on my 345 the tensioner pulley spring was so strong I had to use a ratcheting tie down from the front bumper to the pulley to get the belt on. Was yours similar?

·
Premium Member
5,010 Posts
1) yes done no result...
2) fluid level checks out.
3) that was one thing I considered buy haven't attempted. that would I think result in me dropping the trans, and figured I would inspect that first before progressing to the pump/motor trans rebuild, which hopefully I can even source the right parts for.
I was also pondering ways to check my transmission. Including the hydro fan, to try and use it as an "indicator" of possible issues.

Assuming your fan is difficult to see, what about using something like a GoPro to get a video of it, while the tranny is slipping? You can get knock-off "GoPros" for around $40 on Amazon, one example:
Amazon.com : Crosstour Action Camera Full HD Wi-Fi 12MP PC Webcam Waterproof Cam 2" LCD 30M Underwater 170°Wide-Angle Sports Camera with 2 Rechargeable 1050mAh Batteries and Mounting Accessory Kits : Camera & Photo

You could also Sharpie a mark on the shaft, and on the pulley/fan, to help check for something like stripped splines, or something causing slipping there. (I don't know how they're attached to each other)

Then, once the tranny starts to slip, maybe do an exaggerated test. Tie the tractor to a tree with a strong rope. While recording the fan, or having a helper watch it, try to drive forward.

If the fan stops spinning, you have a slipping belt. And if the Sharpie marks are no longer aligned, maybe the pulley is slipping on the shaft somehow.

Don't get me wrong, your symptoms do, unfortunately, sound consistent with a worn transmission. But before diving into a big project, it seems worth trying to be absolutely sure that the simpler things are checked and understood.

This is the previous thread about the machine, if people want to read more background:
x500 slow up hill

1 - 20 of 79 Posts