My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
John Deere 316 Onan
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know why but all of a sudden I have it BAD for a 425. My 316 isn't going anywhere and will be my mower but it is a handful when pushing snow with the controls.

I think I want a 425 and set it up for winter duty with a frame squeezer to use my current 4 way blade. But, will I fall in love with the more modern controls and want to use it all year round? This the battle going on in my brain.

Not knowing a ton about the 425 model, anything I should be worried about or look for if I go looking at them?

Any suggestions one way or the other or even a different machine?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Save yourself the time and skip the 425 and go right to the 455

:D

Reactions: CCMoe

·
Premium Member
6,308 Posts
I believe some of the 425's have plastic cam gears, not sure what years do, others may know for sure. But stay away from those years or otherwise you will be getting an up close view of the inside of your engine.........

Other's have mention 455, just so you know that is diesel.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Up through 98 I believe had the plastic cam gear. I replaced that gear years ago and would have no problem recommending the 425/445 to anyone, the engine is not that hard to work on. Some people are not comfortable with a diesel, I am not one of those as I also own a 1026R along with the 445. We also had a 425 at work and it was junked out due to rust from the salt we spread in the winter. It was an ok tractor and until the last we had little problems with it. Fuel pump rusted off at the tank connection and when I tried to take the cab and seat pan off, it just fell apart. Decision was made to just replace it with an X738 and an X758.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I like the 445 better. Fuel injection makes starting in those cold winter months easy. :) Bump the key, and it's running.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just bought a 425, got a great deal on it. 1227 hours on a 1996 model. Supposedly has the plastic cam gear in it but those usually go out around 600 hours from what I've seen and read. I can go out right now, no choke and it fires right up. They swapped to plastic hoods and side panels with the 4-5 series so they can break easily, aren't too terrible expensive to replace either. I have not found a part yet that I can get straight from my John Deere dealer and he even has some in stock. I love the liquid cooled Kawasaki engine, it's quiet, even more quiet than an air cooled twin. So far, I love the tractor.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Save yourself the time and skip the 425 and go right to the 455
Really? Why stop there?
Go further, get a 1 series.

Or, if you are willing to switch forums get a real CUT. That way you are sure to continue loving your 316, since a CUT makes a lousy mower for most properties.

😉

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Sounds like you just need foot controls to be happy?

·
Super Moderator
15,897 Posts
Up through 98 I believe had the plastic cam gear. I replaced that gear years ago and would have no problem recommending the 425/445 to anyone, the engine is not that hard to work on. Some people are not comfortable with a diesel, I am not one of those as I also own a 1026R along with the 445. We also had a 425 at work and it was junked out due to rust from the salt we spread in the winter. It was an ok tractor and until the last we had little problems with it. Fuel pump rusted off at the tank connection and when I tried to take the cab and seat pan off, it just fell apart. Decision was made to just replace it with an X738 and an X758.
Guys always check out the JD FAQ at the top of the forum You May be surprised That your answer Might already be there Steel cam shaft replacement SER# (y)

Reactions: SWIGIN

·
Registered
371 Posts
I replaced a 318 with my 425 last year. It was a huge upgrade. The engine is so much smoother and quieter. I now mow without ear plugs. The foot motion control is far superior for work like plowing snow where you need both hands to steer and control the plow. If you get one with a deck, I doubt you will want to mow with the 316 any longer.

·
Super Moderator
29,574 Posts
Don't do it! DON"T DO IT!! OK I tried....now let's get down to business! I agree with many of the others, go to 445 or 455 as you will probable like having either the fuel injection or diesel. I've seen some 455's in the area for around $3,500 - $4,000 so they've become much more reasonable. You will have to replace any front attachments though so that needs to be factored in......along with any new attachments you would be planning on getting.

·
Super Moderator
15,897 Posts
The 3 years I owned My 1993/1994 JD 425 which I purchased In 2000 for $3,500 with a 40loader, 60inch deck , Rear PTO & Cat 0 3point hitchand 42inch Hydraulic tiller (developed a leak In Tank dealer traded it for Used 450 at no cost to me) with 250hrs on it Might have been Lower then That. Tractor was a consigment deal the owner Just wanted to make Up what he owed On a Loan for a JD4100 that why it was so cheap. Anyways I think I abused it the 3 years I had it to initially take care of 17 acre I rented In the Watertown/Fort Drum, NY area and then My previous Home On 5.5acres here in IL Till I traded it for a X485 with a similar set Up

I had always wanted a New 318 well Back in the day dealer said wait a year for the new 320. I listened :oops::censored: Big Mistake listing to dealer who said It just going to be a more ergonomic 318 Boy was I mad Bought a Ingersoll 3016PS Mistake Number 2 as it could Take a Loader Only 4000 series well finally Bought a White GT 2055 7 years Later with a Loader. Ther Lack Of Power steering with That loader drove me Nuts. Well Found that deal On the 425.

I tilled 4acres a year with it Plowed snow with the 40 Loader and rear Blade( put AG 26x12 On it in the winter Kept the 23x10.50 turfs On Most Months ) on a 1/4mile Driveway Cut 7 acres once a week. The the 425 was really a great replacement for the shaft driven 300 series. Deere did Good with the 425. I sometime wish I had Just sold the Loader & and gotten a smaller deck for it and Kept everything else when I upgraded to a X485 as it was a Great tilling & Mowing tractor. I won't talk you out of it. The 425 is a great Tractor(y)

Reactions: kershner and SWIGIN

·
Registered
277 Posts
Really? Why stop there?
Go further, get a 1 series.

Or, if you are willing to switch forums get a real CUT. That way you are sure to continue loving your 316, since a CUT makes a lousy mower for most properties.

😉
Just speaking from personal experience.

My neighbor has a 425. I went with the 445 and that lasted all of nine months. Don't get me wrong, the 445 was great and what I would call powerful, but with higher grass and the 47 blower, I sought out a 455 (Diesel) ASAP, and it is night and day difference.

·
John Deere 316 Onan
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys but I asked about the 425 because diesel is out of the question so no 455 for me.

I might be interested in a 445 but the FI has me worried. I just see getting engine code or something unless it's not so high tech.

My 316 has never needed a thing done to the carb so that's why I was thinking 425, it's simple.

Thanks for the info on the steel cam gear, that is wonderful to know!

Reactions: kershner

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The fuel injection on the 445 is dead simple. Mine is a 2001 (I think) model, with over 2200 hours on it, and it still starts right up. Oil consumption, on the other hand..... is a bit of problem. (I don't think it was well maintained by the previous owner.....)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Can't blame you on wanting foot control. I was pretty sure I wouldn't like it when I bought my 332, decided to give it a chance, and it turns out I was wrong. I don't dislike it, I actually hate it! :D

Why is a diesel out of the question for you? They are not any harder to work on or maintain, although the parts can be more expensive depending on the part.

·
John Deere 316 Onan
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have never been around diesel anything, so as far s working on them I know nothing and at my age I really don't want to learn something new. I also HATE the smell of diesel and I just wont own anything diesel.

I have only ran foot controls one time on a zero turn and I also hated it. But the fact that I need 4 hands to properly run the 316 and 4 way blade is getting old as well. That's why I think I want a 425 and just set it up as my winter ride and deal with the foot controls a few times a year.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Well, if your age is so great that you don't want to learn anything new, the diesel would probably not require anything before you do 😉

Now, if you don't love the smell of diesel in the morning (or afternoon) that might be a problem. I find that a well running diesel doesn't smell. There is a little smoke on start up, but otherwise I don't really notice it (and I am sensitive to smells).

Of course, I used to inspect road construction projects during the summer when I was in college. The smell of hot asphalt and diesel in the morning, noon, and night. Smells like ... Progress.

The 425/445 are great small machines. How much area do you have to clear of snow and how often do you have to do it?

Be aware that these machines are getting up in years and will need more maintenance/repair to keep going. If you are capable and willing to do the work yourself, they can be great. But also not so great, if they break down right when you them to do a big job.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts