My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This message is for all concerned about installing headlights on your X series tractors.

I had a little spare tiome last week so I sat down at the computer and this is what came out. The idea came to me when I was reading another thread. That thread was disscussing work lights which fit right in with what I had in mind. The graphics which are necessary to under stand what I am about to discuss are attached. They are rather large because I don't know how to put up a PDF file. So use them as you will.

On the other thread I mentioned looking for some lights that would mount on poles in front of the engine. John Deere makes just such a set.
They are mounted on the attachment that the snowblower in attached to. The only thing I objected to was the fact that they mounted with nuts and bolts.

I would have prefered to have a "click" type attachment. That is what we have in the attached pictures.

Picture No. 1 shows the Isometric view of the attachment.

Picture No. 2 shows a multi view of the attachment.

Picture No. 3 shows an Isometric view of the completed assembly.

I plan on having this welded soon. If there are any suggestions or questions that you have, please post below and I will incorporate your suggestions if possible.

How does this thing work? The Bracket mounts on the Front Quick-Hitch and Hydraulic Lift by lifting it and placing it on the Front Quick-Hitch and ydraulic Lift with the small rod supporting it. The attachment is secured by the two bolts which "Click" into the existing holes in the Front Quick-Hitch and Hydraulic Lift. There are a pair of
Work Lights mounted on top of the two arms. I prefer to use the LED type light. I will need to find some soon. Wires to energize the lights are hidden inside the pipes. The wires are connected to the tractors electrical system by a short pig tail near the lower left corner of the tractor.

That is it for awhile, Post a question and I will attempt to answer it.

Jerry

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
I'm constantly impressed by how clever some people are. It's amazing the skill sets some of you guys have.

I will look forward to seeing the finished product as the project progresses.

·
Tractor nut, general nut
461 Posts
I didn't see any detail on your captured spring latches. Have you found a source for those that you can just weld on, or are you getting those made as well?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't see any detail on your captured spring latches. Have you found a source for those that you can just weld on, or are you getting those made as well?
Alan,

I found out that I can buy them from John Deere.

Jerry

·
Registered
258 Posts
Jerry, you are spot on with your idea. Any thoughts about marketing them?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jerry, you are spot on with your idea. Any thoughts about marketing them?
Mktobob,

It is truly to early to even think about that. Seriously, if someone wants to market them, I will be their biggest cheerleader.

Jerry

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi, know I've read this somewhere else but when the work lights are attached, don't you eliminate the front headlights from working??? If this is true, I would want to figure out how to use the headlights and worklights at the same time. I'm a big fan of using all the light you can once the darkness sets in. Let me know what you think and thanks
Jerry in Wisconsin

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi, know I've read this somewhere else but when the work lights are attached, don't you eliminate the front headlights from working??? If this is true, I would want to figure out how to use the headlights and worklights at the same time. I'm a big fan of using all the light you can once the darkness sets in. Let me know what you think and thanks
Jerry in Wisconsin
This is true... Deere wants you to make a choice about which lights you run, cuz the factory charging system isn't big enough to run both. I have these lights and I have incorporated LED so I can us both sets of lights at the same time. I also wouldn't take the light bracket off the quick hitch cuz it helps me move the quick hitch around in the garage when it's not on the tractor. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
665 Posts
This is true... Deere wants you to make a choice about which lights you run, cuz the factory charging system isn't big enough to run both. :dunno:
I figured that the alternator is larger on the bigger tractors? Surely that tractor can handle both sets of lights. have my little X324 running 4 LED floods, a heater and the stock lights an thats a 20 some odd amp alternator.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I figured that the alternator is larger on the bigger tractors? Surely that tractor can handle both sets of lights. have my little X324 running 4 LED floods, a heater and the stock lights an thats a 20 some odd amp alternator.
The factory lights are halogen and the lights in the kit are halogen and not led's

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
The gas X700s have a 20 amp alternator.

But the diesel X700s have a 40 amp alternator, which should handle those lights no problem.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not so in all cases about the alternator. I have an 05 x495 and I have that little thin pancake looking thing they call an alternator. I bought mine used but you would think that for the money they charged for these units, even back in 05, you would have gotten everything , Heavy Duty. They were touted as Heavy Duty Garden Tractors after all, weren't they??? Anyway, I did get the stock High Amp Alt kit last year, new for a great price, just havn't put it on yet. i'm a little leary of doing it as I don't want to screw it up, even though it has directions. I can do alot of things but when it comes to electrical, well , i admit, i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Jerry in wisconsin

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Not so in all cases about the alternator. I have an 05 x495 and I have that little thin pancake looking thing they call an alternator. I bought mine used but you would think that for the money they charged for these units, even back in 05, you would have gotten everything , Heavy Duty. They were touted as Heavy Duty Garden Tractors after all, weren't they??? Anyway, I did get the stock High Amp Alt kit last year, new for a great price, just havn't put it on yet. i'm a little leary of doing it as I don't want to screw it up, even though it has directions. I can do alot of things but when it comes to electrical, well , i admit, i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. Jerry in wisconsin

As I understood it, all the diesel X700s came with 40 amp alternators. Earlier diesel X495s and X595s had a 20 amp. Maybe that's bad info?

Here's a good pdf table (courtesy of member POENY) that shows how they were configured:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=161914&d=1308083233

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Jerry in Wisconsin
Jerry,

The trick is to get the load right. There are a whole lot of incandecent lights which require to many amps. The trick is to mount some LED lights up to the attachment and go with it.

You can hook the lights up to your tractor by lifting the hood and accessing the headlight circuit. Then just remove the connection to the headlamps. at that point you can insert a "TEE" connector into the circut and reconnect the headlamps. Go to the control pannel and switch on the headlamps. You should see four lamps lit on the front of the tractor.

I sure hope this helps quiet down the talk of not having enough amperage.

Jerry

See if there is something you can use here WEB SITE I have not purchased from this company. Use it at your own Risk!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts