My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MTF Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carried over from another thread where Sergeant said that the X300 series and X500 series had the same frames...

Sergeant, are you sure the frames are the same? Both are 3.04 mm but JD reports the X300 frame weighs 98 pounds and the x500 frame weighs 114 pounds...

Yes the X500 and X300 series are Built On the same Frame for example You can Take the Hitch Plate from a X500 and Mount It On a X300 The Only real difference Between them is the rear Hitch Plate and depending on the Model It May have a Different front Hitch Plate The X534 and X540 Have the Built In weight Bracket For example I Helped a Friend mount a X534 Hitch Plate On his X324 so He Could Use a JD manual lift Integral Hitch and it Bolted right Up without a Problem no Modification needed BTW the X500 and X530 Models Use a X300 series Hood
X300 Frame

X500 Frame

Now the X500 does a have a Few extra Up right Pieces Meaning Line Item number 7 and Number 14 on the X500 frame diagram But They can Be bolted Right on to the X300 Series frame:thThumbsU
This was bugging me so I did a little more research and here's what I found:

Items 7 and 14 (on drawing above) might add a pound or so but there was still about 15 pounds of frame on the X500 unaccounted for. So I had another look at the JD specs and saw that the difference may be in the Front Bumpers and Hitch Plates:

X300 Front Bumper: 3.81mm / 4lb
X500 Front Bumper: 6.35mm / 11lb

X300 Hitch Plate: 3.81mm / 11lb
X500 Hitch Plate: 6.35mm / 19lb

The difference is 7 pounds for the bumper and 8 pounds for the hitch plate or 15lbs total... So, is the mystery solved or did I miss something?

Or am I the only one who was even wondering about this? :banghead3

·
Registered
147 Posts
I believe "stladrill" mentioned this some time ago.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,864 Posts
I either missed it or wasn't a member yet... I certainly wasn't trying to duplicate efforts - moderators feel free to delete the thread if it's redundant...
No need to delete it, even if it was posted elsewhere at some time in the past. Happens all the time.

I had followed the other thread and am glad you started this one to discuss what you found. Now that you mention it, looking at the schematic, the drawings of the two rear bumpers seem to show a heavier gauge for the X500. Also, the X500 seems to show two front bumper options 17A and 17B. (Or am I misreading that?) The one with the 1" receiver (17A) looks beefier.

So, could someone procure these X500 parts and slap them on their X300?

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
I either missed it or wasn't a member yet... I certainly wasn't trying to duplicate efforts - moderators feel free to delete the thread if it's redundant...
No need to delete it, even if it was posted elsewhere at some time in the past. Happens all the time.

I had followed the other thread and am glad you started this one to discuss what you found. Now that you mention it, looking at the schematic, the drawings of the two rear bumpers seem to show a heavier gauge for the X500. Also, the X500 seems to show two front bumper options 17A and 17B. (Or am I misreading that?) The one with the 1" receiver (17A) looks beefier.

So, could someone procure these X500 parts and slap them on their X300?
Yes I mention it before but it's still a good info to bring back occasionally. :fing32:

Yes you can install the front weight bracket on a X300, I did it and made a thread on how to install it with minor modification.

BTW it's an 1¼ receiver. :)

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
...where Sergeant said that the X300 series and X500 series had the same frames...
While it's good for current owners to know this, in my mind this will be an important fact to know in 5 to 10 years when these X300's/X500's are out there in the used market. There's a lot of possibilities there ... for example if you are an X300 owner you really may want to consider that X500 with the blown engine, and several attachments, or vice versa. Trans-axle upgrades pop to mind as well.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,864 Posts
Yes I mention it before but it's still a good info to bring back occasionally. :fing32:

Yes you can install the front weight bracket on a X300, I did it and made a thread on how to install it with minor modification.

BTW it's an 1¼ receiver. :)
Ah yes, 1 1/4" !! Of course, and merci for the correction.

That's great that you installed the front bracket on your X366!:fing32: (I vaguely remember that.) How about a link so everyone can find it easily? :thanku:

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
The receiver bumper 17A was standard on the early (2006-2007) X500 line up. I do know that on the X520/540 that this bumper was standard through the entire model run (X520). Also 17A is more beefier than 17B. I have seen both bumpers in person at my local dealer and 17A just has more reinforcement and bracing. Also the front panel on 17A is thicker than the same area on 17B.

·
Super Moderator
17,717 Posts
JD does have a front weight bracket that you can add to any of the X3XX's or X5XX's. Here is a thread from when I added one to my old X500. The cost for the bracket is 49.00.http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=161718
If the X500 model still had it Original First Production Hood It would Not need the Newer weight Bracket that is Out there It could Use The weight Bracket That is standard On the X534 & X530 and was standard On the X520. The 2nd Year of the X500 Model they changed It's Hood to a X300 Model Hood When The X530 Came Out It also Came with a X300 Hood.

But To the OP essentially the X300 and X500 series are Built On the same Frame except for a Few Minor Differences which can Be Bolted on or Un-Bolted :thThumbsU

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.