My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this tractor parked in the same spot for several months. So I stopped by to check it out. The tractor is the same model that I currently own. I spoke to the owner and picked it up last night. I am not to sure what I am going to do with it. I bought it cause my power steering ram leaks. Figured I can swap them out.

He told me the tractor didn't run and blew oil out the top of the engine. I got it running after a few minutes of letting it crank.

I am posting some picks and two videos on youtube. I think its only running on one cylinder.

Tell me what you guys think.

Attachments

·
Registered
729 Posts
Sweet deal! Those are heavy heavy duty gt's

·
Registered
526 Posts
nice job bro - unplug one cyl at a time and see if the engine speed changes/dies to see if one of the cyls isn't firing

·
Registered
515 Posts
Check to make sure all the screws are in the air filter housing that attach it to the engine. If one of the screws has fallen out and gone into the engine it may be stuck in the valves. I picked up an Allis-Chalmers 1918 very cheap for this reason. Took a half hour to fix and it's still running.
They make excellent loader tractors with the power steering and high and low range.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The hour meter is showing 1400 hours. There is some patch work quilting going on with the engine shroud. The front end is pretty loose as well. The left rear tire has dry rot and leaks like a spaghetti strainer. I am leaning toward parting it out. The parts will fit on numerous tractors. My brother was thinking of using the steering unit on his bolens 1250. If the demand for the parts are out there, maybe the course of action is to part it out.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
There is some patch work quilting going on with the engine shroud.
What shroud?
On my GTX-18, you can't see any of the stuff shown in your pics because the entire engine is encased in a shroud.:banghead3

As far as parting it out goes, the PTO assy alone brings several hundred on ebay... used. Let alone, the power steering valve...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What shroud?
On my GTX-18, you can't see any of the stuff shown in your pics because the entire engine is encased in a shroud.:banghead3

As far as parting it out goes, the PTO assy alone brings several hundred on ebay... used. Let alone, the power steering valve...
In the second set of pics, pic 1, pic 2 the shiny metal that is under the fuel line has been screwed to the plastic shroud. There is also black electrical tape all under the fuel pump. The PTO is has actually come apart. There has been a new power steering unit on ebay for a long time ($500). I think one of the best parts is the hydraulic ports up front. That whole assembly could be used by someone on a GTX18, GT1800.

We are thinking about using the side panels to replace the ones on our GTX18 that are starting to rust.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I see 1 cylinder head with no shroud, so its likely gotten too hot due to no air to cool it.
Mitch

·
Registered
515 Posts
It just amazes how some people can take a wonderful machine like these and for whatever reason, abuse them beyond hope. It takes so little to keep them up. What a waste.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the weather seams nice outside today. I am going to clean her up. I have seen the shrouds for sale on ebay and also found them new for 60 bucks. The air cleaner cover is about $25 or so. Maybe she will become my snow plowing machine. I am a little bummed that the electric PTO came apart.

I was also thinking that it may have a coil that has gone bad. I guess that its the sound of the engine that makes me think its not running on both cylinders. Once I get it clean i will pull the plugs out and take a look.

This may turn into a fun project. How bout this question "is 1400 hrs that high of a number?"

·
Registered
392 Posts
Its condition reflects how well it has been cared for so at 1400 hours I would think the engine is ready for a re-biuld.

Theres not much to that electric PTO, how did it come apart did the nuts come off?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jonathan:

I cleaned it up today. Gave it a nice bath. I took that piece of tin off and found a large hole under it. It appears that a coil may have gone bad. The coils are located under the engine shroud. When we replaced the coils in our GTX18 we had to pull the engine out. The hole created a direct path to the coil.

I noticed a few bolts heads are broken off as well. I saw where the metal heat shield that mounts to the cylinder head has moved and wore a hole through the spark plug wire. I took the rubber end off and it runs on both cylinders now.

I didn't see where any of the oil has come from. Maybe a winter project.

The bracket that holds the pulley onto the pto has broken. I am not sure if that bracket can just be replaced. It looks to be thin piece of metal. Its kind of difficult to get a picture of.

·
Registered
515 Posts
If the crankcase breather is malfunctioning the crankcase will build pressure and push the oil out anywhere it can. You might want to check this as it is not too uncommon.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Jonathan:

I cleaned it up today. Gave it a nice bath. I took that piece of tin off and found a large hole under it. It appears that a coil may have gone bad. The coils are located under the engine shroud. When we replaced the coils in our GTX18 we had to pull the engine out. The hole created a direct path to the coil.

I noticed a few bolts heads are broken off as well. I saw where the metal heat shield that mounts to the cylinder head has moved and wore a hole through the spark plug wire. I took the rubber end off and it runs on both cylinders now.

I didn't see where any of the oil has come from. Maybe a winter project.

The bracket that holds the pulley onto the pto has broken. I am not sure if that bracket can just be replaced. It looks to be thin piece of metal. Its kind of difficult to get a picture of.
I would try Sams Bolens for the bracket. I recently purchased some clutch parts from him.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I put the GTX20 to work today. I had two trailer loads of pine needles that had to be moved. I let the tractor idle while I was filling the trailer. When I was done with my little project I went to see if any oil had come out. I pulled the air cleaner and there was oil. It seemed to be coming out from the breather hose.

As cvans has stated check the breather. What am I checking for? I noticed a there is a sensor that is located right next to the breather. If this is malfunctioning how do I fix this. I want to fix the tractor and replace the parts that are broken.

My wife told me tonight that I can keep the tractor. She is even letting me park it in the garage. Once i get my basement arranged properly the tractor will make it way inside to be worked on.

If the crankcase breather is malfunctioning the crankcase will build pressure and push the oil out anywhere it can. You might want to check this as it is not too uncommon.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Take the breather hose off while the engine is running and see if there is a lot of blow by coming out of the hose. Easy way to check is to hold your finger over the end of the hose for a few seconds and when you take it off there will be a rush of air come out. If there is then you are probably do for a re-ring job. I sold the engine out of mine before I ran it much and that was a couple years ago. I wanted to get the diesel into it so I didn't spend much time with the gas engine. Some of these two cylinder engines have a reed valve type of breather and if they don't work correctly nothing can escape the crankcase and they build pressure. If your is blowing oil into the air filter than the breather should be open.
I'm not familiar with the sensor. I would like to hear what you find out about that.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info. I took the breather hose off before I posted my question. There is a steady stream of air flow coming out of the breather. I didn't even have to put my finger over the hole. I could feel the air coming out. I read online last night that I may need rings and head gaskets. I may post in the backyard round table for more help. These kohler engines are in a ton of equipment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts