My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
18,414 Posts
YOU CAN'T BY CRAB GRASS PREVENTER WITH OUT TURF BUILDER ANYMORE ,PUT SOME ON TWO YRS AGO AND MY LAWNS THE SAME .HAVE TO MOW IN THE HIGHEST SETTING AND THEN IT STILL LOOKS LIKE I NEED A HAY RAKE,~~OLDFART~~
Sure you can. you can get Andersons Barricade Professional-Grade Granular Pre-Emergent Weed Control for spreader, Tenacity Herbicide for spraying. The first can be ordered from HD or Wally world. The tenacity for places like DoMyown. Those are primarily pre emegent.
You also can get the Ortho or Spectracide Weed Stop Ready-to-Spray Concentrate for Lawns Plus Crabgrass. Both of these will kill clover.
Back in the 50's and 60's clover was a desired type of lawn. And rabbits loved it. Moving forward, someone, could have been seed or chemical companies [many are both] decided that they didn't want clover because it grew well and folks didn't buy much seed. Added to that, folks didn't want to work at keeping their lawn free of weeds. And natural methods, vinegar, boiling water and salt, among other methods, was too much work. So weed killers started proliferating. Down side was that they also killed clover. Those companies then started saying clover was a weed and destroyed the lovely look of a lawn.
Although that decision was unanimously rejected in rabbit warrens across the land.;)
MikeC

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Just like crab grass eradication.
That stuff grows were nothing else will. Drought, freezing weather and US troops constantly marching across it will not kill it.
Almost always green. But yes it's labeled a weed also.
But people got to have that lush green Kentucky blue grass. That requires sprinkler systems and constant weed and feed.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Our lawn has been growing much faster than the past 3 summers.
We seemed to have won the initial war on the grub infestation we had when we 1st moved here then (with timely and steadfast application of a Bayer product).
Our lawn is no golf course but, if it wasn't for certain weeds and ... the clover ... it would not look even as reasonable as it does now.
I've been mowing once per week Steve, and that's twice as much as the the past three years :unsure:

P.S. - Clover is always welcome here :love:

Renster

6,033 Posts
I use this clover killer. No offense to clover lovers. I do have some relatives in California with an acre of clover and no grass. They love it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts